Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Amazon Prime button ordering  (Read 3928 times)

HA Dave

• Helpful Post Rating: 175
Amazon Prime button ordering
« on: December 28, 2015, 09:15:33 AM »

This automation almost seems like a April fools-day device.

Sold (only) to Amazon Prime members ($99 annual membership). There are several "product buttons" available. These WiFi devices communicate via the home modem/router to automate the ordering process. Sold at $4.99 a device which is refunded with first use. This is serious automation!
Home Automation is an always changing technology

nyc2

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
Re: Amazon Prime button ordering
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2015, 09:18:33 AM »

I hope my local pizza guy gets one of those gadgets!

Noam

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 51
« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2015, 10:07:50 AM »

They have been out for a little while, and Amazon keeps adding new products. I've already need a number of hacks that allow you to re-purpose these to do other things.

toasterking

• Helpful Post Rating: 11
  • We adore chaos because we love to produce order.
« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2015, 10:43:52 PM »

HA Dave, your post was pretty interesting.  Noam, yours even more so.  A quick search found a brief DIY article on how to use these to do your own bidding:
https://medium.com/@edwardbenson/how-i-hacked-amazon-s-5-wifi-button-to-track-baby-data-794214b0bdd8

And then the eureka moment:  These can be used as a FREE alternative to the X10 KR15A (Big Red Button)!  (Warning: Whether you can really assign the button to a product on Amazon, use it to order something and get your $4.99 refund, and then unassign the button from the product, I haven't confirmed!)  If not free, they're 1/4 of the cost.  And since all devices can see an ARP probe on the same LAN segment, you don't even need to add RF repeaters (as with the KR15A) if you already have WiFi coverage.  If you have a large house but already have multiple WiFi access points patched to one switch, it already works anywhere in your house!

Now, if you start thinking about what you can do by taking that little thing apart and connecting a differently-purposed switch across the pins of the existing pushbutton switch, the possibilities really start to open up.  And since this is effectively open source since the author of that article gives away the (very simple) Python code, you can replace the code that logs a row to a spreadsheet with code that runs another program or ties into your automation software of choice.  Then it becomes a question of what you can't do!
  • Put one next to your door and add code to play a sound and flash the lights when it's pushed?  Sweet, a doorbell! :)
  • Add a tilt switch to your mailbox and use one to send you a text message when your mailbox is opened?  Why not?
  • Connect a relay to the buzzer on your dryer and connect the relay contacts to one of these, and send a text message when your clothes are done?  Sure!
  • Detect when a plant's soil is dry and add an item to your to-do list to water it?  Maybe.  You may actually need to add a transistor for that one!

The first step is to get a bunch of these and start experimenting.  The great thing is that if you fry one, you're not out any money!  :)%

HA Dave

« Reply #4 on: December 28, 2015, 11:01:02 PM »

..... A quick search found a brief DIY article on how to use these to do your own bidding:
https://medium.com/@edwardbenson/how-i-hacked-amazon-s-5-wifi-button-to-track-baby-data-794214b0bdd8....

These things are easier than Geordi La Forge.... modifying his visor.

toasterking

« Reply #5 on: December 28, 2015, 11:04:54 PM »

These things are easier than Geordi La Forge.... modifying his visor.
LOL!  I figured that of everyone here, you would be most excited about playing with this, HA Dave!  You've probably ordered some already!

HA Dave

« Reply #6 on: December 28, 2015, 11:12:14 PM »

LOL!  I figured that of everyone here, you would be most excited about playing with this, HA Dave! 

I think nyc2 has the right idea.

I hope my local pizza guy gets one of those gadgets!

Maybe modify one of those buttons to order a pizza on-line...........

toasterking

« Reply #7 on: December 28, 2015, 11:20:49 PM »

I agree!  The trick would be writing the script that emulates a person ordering a pizza on the web site and then keeping it updated when the site changes.  Why, oh why do pizza delivery companies not provide APIs?   rofl

dhouston

• Advanced Member
  • Helpful Post Rating: 37
    • davehouston.org
« Reply #8 on: December 29, 2015, 09:42:03 AM »

Maybe modify one of those buttons to order a pizza on-line...........

About 20 years ago, before there was online, I created an application that used text-to-speech to enable those who had lost the ability to speak (ALS, CP, etc.) to use a PC or laptop and, optionally, a speakerphone modem or speakerphone sans modem, to communicate. The initial use of one young man with CP was to phone for pizza. The more things change...
« Last Edit: December 29, 2015, 09:46:34 AM by dhouston »
This message was composed entirely from recycled letters of the alphabet using only renewable, caffeinated energy sources.
No twees, wabbits, chimps or whales died in the process.
https://www.laser.com/dhouston

HA Dave

« Reply #9 on: December 29, 2015, 10:48:20 AM »

....... The initial use of one young man with CP was to phone for pizza. The more things change...

So true. And after I posted I realized.... (now with the iPhone's new 9 iOS) with my phone in it's normal charging dock position I can say "hey Siri" and then voice command the number to dial. I don't even need to lower the volume on the TV. So I can order a pizza... literally... without lifting a finger. 

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.