Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: LED lights soon to be obsolete  (Read 1326 times)

dhouston

• Advanced Member
  • Helpful Post Rating: 37
    • davehouston.org
LED lights soon to be obsolete
« on: January 11, 2016, 04:19:20 PM »

http://phys.org/news/2016-01-photonics-reshape-spectrum-edison-bulb.html  

And they won't spew noise that interferes with X10.
:'

« Last Edit: January 11, 2016, 04:20:55 PM by dhouston »
This message was composed entirely from recycled letters of the alphabet using only renewable, caffeinated energy sources.
No twees, wabbits, chimps or whales died in the process.
https://www.laser.com/dhouston

Tucson

• Helpful Post Rating: 2
Re: LED lights soon to be obsolete
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2016, 07:59:06 PM »

Interesting article thank you for posting.

bkenobi

• PI Expert
  • Helpful Post Rating: 24
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2016, 10:59:36 AM »

I saw this and thought the same thing.  As long as CFL dies, I'll be happy.  They are cheap enough these days, but if the goal is to save the world I'm not sure how using heavy metals in the new bulb is ideal.

dhouston

• Advanced Member
  • Helpful Post Rating: 37
    • davehouston.org
« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2016, 11:18:53 AM »

It's kinda ironic. CFLs have been around for a long time (ConEd was pushing them in the mid-80's - mine died after ~6 weeks.) but it was the CFL manufacturers who bankrolled the tree-huggers who lobbied for killing incandescents to save the world (despite the almost unmeasurable effect - literally about the same as stopping folks from spitting in the ocean). They really only created an opportunity for all of the LED makers who have come to dominate the market. I'm sure new incandescents will not be here for some time - I just hope I'll be here to see them. Maybe GE can even reopen their venerable Louisville glass envelope factory.
This message was composed entirely from recycled letters of the alphabet using only renewable, caffeinated energy sources.
No twees, wabbits, chimps or whales died in the process.
https://www.laser.com/dhouston

toasterking

• Helpful Post Rating: 11
  • We adore chaos because we love to produce order.
« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2016, 11:55:48 AM »

My first thought when I read this was that it appears to be another clever trick, like halogen lamps, to rejuvenate the tungsten and make incandescents more efficient.  But this trick doesn't require a gas and I guess the mechanics are different.  It seems kind of ironic that after all the development put into cramming a switching power supply into every bulb to operate an alternate lighting source, the solution may be to go back to basics and just reexamine the mechanics.  If this succeeds, efficient bulbs will have less components to fail and old 2-wire X10 switches should work as well with them as they ever did with incandescents.  One more problem solved!  Thanks for sharing, Dave H!

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.