Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5

Author Topic: CM15A USB Problem  (Read 21363 times)

jclarkw

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
CM15A USB Problem
« on: March 17, 2016, 03:05:02 PM »

I need help diagnosing a communication problem between my Windows 7 SP1 64bit computer and my CM15A.

I am using AHP 3.318 with Tucemen's AHP Lifejacket 1.0.1.3 (I think) since November, 2015; and I have been able successfully to program both this relatively old CM15A (in November) and a newer one in a different location (last weekend).  Since the spring DST time change I'm trying to download the "summer" version of my program to the older unit, but I cannot connect.  When I plug in the USB interface I'm getting messages like the following:

"USB device not recognized" or
"Installing device driver... Device driver was not successfully installed"

In Device Manager there is a USB device listed as "Unknown Device," and its Properties tab says "Windows has stopped this device because it has reported problems (Code 43)"
If I unplug the cable from the computer, the "Unknown Device" disappears from the Device Manager listing, so I believe it is the CM15A.

When I start AHP, it reports, "ActiveHome Pro device isn't connected to your computer"

Is there any solution to this problem other than purchasing a new CM15A?  (I note that the X10 Web site currently says the device is "Out of stock," so I guess there's no way to get another in the foreseeable future...)

Best Regards to All -- jclarkw

P.S. -- Should have mentioned I've tried two different USB cables and two different ports on my computer. -- jcw
« Last Edit: March 17, 2016, 03:16:46 PM by jclarkw »

Tuicemen

• Administrator
  • Helpful Post Rating: 282
  • I don't work for X10, I use it successfuly!
Re: CM15A USB Problem
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2016, 05:11:25 PM »

Have you tried removing the batteries from the cm15a while unplugged, then after an hour plug it in without batteries and connect it to the PC while batteries are still out? ::) :'
Please Read Topic:
General Forum Etiquette
Before you post!

jclarkw

« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2016, 10:15:06 AM »

Have you tried removing the batteries from the cm15a while unplugged, then after an hour plug it in without batteries and connect it to the PC while batteries are still out? ::) :'

Tuiceman -- How in the world did you come up with that bizarre algorithm?  Is this a standard reset procedure that I should have know about?

Anyhow I will try it and report as soon as my immediate need for the existing programming has passed.  (I can't afford to lose the program right now in case I won't be able to replace it!)

BTW, I found some apparent CM15A units advertised by a reseller on Amazon (although X10 claims to be out of stock) and ordered.  I hope they are the real thing.  I'll report on that too when it arrives...  Cheers! -- jclarkw

P.S. -- Am I using the most current versions of AHP (3.318 Unregistered) and AHP Lifejacket (1.0.1.3)?  Or has the situation with the official recommended procedure changed since November? -- jcw

dave w

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 139
« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2016, 10:22:01 AM »

"USB device not recognized" or
"Installing device driver... Device driver was not successfully installed"
(Noodling) Seems to me you need to troubleshoot a corrupt driver problem. You said at one time you programmed two CM15As, an old one and a newer one. So have you tried the other CM15A to see if it communicates? If it does not communicate with the PC as it once did, maybe doing a complete uninstall using a "complete" uninstaller such as iObit. Also use Task Manager to shut down anything X10 before Uninstall. Been a long time since I used AHP, so I'm just blindly throwing darts at the board. Tuicemen is the knowledge bank.
"This aftershave makes me look fat"

jclarkw

« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2016, 10:49:02 AM »

...So have you tried the other CM15A to see if it communicates?  ...maybe doing a complete uninstall using a "complete" uninstaller such as iObit. Also use Task Manager to shut down anything X10 before Uninstall...

Thanks, dave w, for chiming in.  I can't try the newer CM15A because it's in another state.  I can wait until the new one on order arrives...

I assume you mean a complete uninstall of AHP (and AHP Lifejacket?).  I guess there's no way to uninstall and re-install just the USB driver that it's supposed to use? -- jclarkw

Tuicemen

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2016, 11:13:29 AM »

The batteries thing has been a known fix for none responsive Cm15s and is posted about in several places in the forum.
I actually have an old cm15 (on of the first release builds) that I couldn't upload to it or clear it.
Instead of throwing it out I removed the batteries and filed it in a parts bin.
After several months I attempted to revive it so I could use it at my off grid place.
Imaging my surprise when I first cleared the interface and it worked.
Next I attempted to download to it and that also worked.
I performed many routines of clearing and uploading to be sure it wasn't just a fluke, but it has been working flawless since.
Please Read Topic:
General Forum Etiquette
Before you post!

Tuicemen

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: March 19, 2016, 12:37:05 PM »

I guess there's no way to uninstall and re-install just the USB driver that it's supposed to use? -- jclarkw
start/ device manager/universal serial bus controllers/X10usb active home......
Right Click on it click uninstall
Please Read Topic:
General Forum Etiquette
Before you post!

Tuicemen

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: March 19, 2016, 12:51:33 PM »

Download and rename the attached with an exe extension then run it to install fresh drivers
X10driver link
« Last Edit: March 19, 2016, 03:31:39 PM by Tuicemen »
Please Read Topic:
General Forum Etiquette
Before you post!

jclarkw

« Reply #8 on: March 19, 2016, 03:03:02 PM »

download and rename the attached with an exe extension then run it to install fresh drivers

Tuicemen -- This sounded great until I realized that your attachment has 0 bytes.  Or am I doing something stupid again? -- jclarkw

Tuicemen

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: March 19, 2016, 03:33:16 PM »

Nope nothing you did or didn't do looks like the file was rejected.
I fixed the post and posted a new link since the attachment thingy failed. >!
Please Read Topic:
General Forum Etiquette
Before you post!

jclarkw

« Reply #10 on: March 19, 2016, 10:06:15 PM »

...I fixed the post and posted a new link since the attachment thingy failed. >!

Thanks!  I will report which was the problem... -- jclarkw

jclarkw

« Reply #11 on: March 21, 2016, 02:55:48 PM »

Yep, sure did work, but not for very long.  I had to do it again on the same unit the next day.  I guess the hardware really is failing.  Anyhow it's programmed now, and I have another one on order...

I suppose I should have know it was a "hardware" problem, not a driver problem, as soon as I got the message (without even AHP running) that the USB interface was not recognized. -- jclarkw

Tuicemen

• Administrator
« Reply #12 on: March 21, 2016, 03:03:45 PM »

If the hardware memory doesn't get completely cleared it can and most likely will cause it to fail again.
If it goes again purge delayed macros then clear the interface make sure the AHP recycle bin is empty and clear the interface again before uploading to it.
Please Read Topic:
General Forum Etiquette
Before you post!

jclarkw

« Reply #13 on: March 21, 2016, 05:11:13 PM »

If the hardware memory doesn't get completely cleared it can and most likely will cause it to fail again.
If it goes again purge delayed macros then clear the interface make sure the AHP recycle bin is empty and clear the interface again before uploading to it.

I'm not sure how to "purge delayed macros," but I think you mean to go through the hardware reset procedure (unplugged battery removal as described above) twice, with an "empty deleted modules" (perhaps before re-connecting the USB?) AND a "clear interface memory" in between.  Right?  Or do I also have to clear the AHP program by opening a "New" file? -- jclarkw

Tuicemen

• Administrator
« Reply #14 on: March 21, 2016, 05:23:49 PM »

yep with batteries removed >!
Please Read Topic:
General Forum Etiquette
Before you post!
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.