Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5

Author Topic: CM15A USB Problem  (Read 21360 times)

jclarkw

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
Re: CM15A USB Problem
« Reply #15 on: March 21, 2016, 10:37:23 PM »

yep with batteries removed >!

OK, Tuicemen, I think I've got it now.  (I missed "purge delayed macro events" before because it is 'grayed out' with the interface disconnected.)

But what about "Hardware Configuration/Update Interface?"  Does that happen automatically when you "Download Timers and Macros" (at least unless you want to change some of the settings previously stored in AHP), or do you have to do that after every "clear interface memory" as I have been?

Sorry to badger you with so many questions, but the "help" is not that helpful, and the "owner's manual" is no better. -- jclarkw

Tuicemen

• Administrator
  • Helpful Post Rating: 282
  • I don't work for X10, I use it successfuly!
« Reply #16 on: March 22, 2016, 07:18:14 AM »

The "Hardware Configuration/Update Interface?" I believe is only if you change something in the hardware configuration page.(dusk/dawn transceived codes location) I don't believe that step is needed however it wouldn't hurt I guess to go that extra step.
Please Read Topic:
General Forum Etiquette
Before you post!

jclarkw

« Reply #17 on: March 22, 2016, 08:58:04 AM »

Thanks!

jclarkw

« Reply #18 on: March 22, 2016, 02:18:34 PM »

yep with batteries removed >!

Tuicemen -- I'm sorry to report that the USB connection has again failed after the following interpretation of your recommended procedure:

1) Disconnect USB from computer (if connected) and unplug the interface from A/C; remove the batteries; let it sit for one hour.
2) Meanwhile clean up AHP Pro by emptying deleted macros from the recycle bin (and save the file that way?).
3) Plug the interface back in without the batteries and re-connect (preferably to an AHP with an empty file and nothing in the recycle bin?).
4) Purge Delayed Macros (requires interface) and clear interface memory.
5) Repeat Steps 1 through 4 (except that batteries are still out -- this may be overkill...).
6) Make sure the AHP recycle bin is empty and clear interface memory again.
7) Set up hardware configuration and update interface.
Eight) Download timers and macros.
9) Install batteries and then disconnect from computer.  Move interface to desired A/C outlet.

(I only noticed this failure because I realized I had forgotten to reset the battery counter in the hardware configuration, so I though I would reconnect to do so.)

Note that the USB did not fail during the procedure above.

My re-connection procedure is complicated by the fact that I cannot just connect the USB directly because the wall outlet I'm using is too far from the computer.  Here is the procedure I use (which didn't used to cause problems):

A) Unplug interface from A/C outlet  (batteries still installed).
B) Hook up an extension cord to outlet and plug interface into that.
C) Connect USB to computer; USB connection fails as described at beginning of this thread.

I see three possibilities:
1) I didn't execute your reset procedure properly (see steps 1-9 near the beginning of this message).
2) Something I did after that procedure caused the problem (see steps 9 in first sequence and A-C immediately above).
3) There is actually a hardware problem in the CM15A, perhaps a deteriorating USB handler.

What do you think? -- jclarkw
« Last Edit: March 22, 2016, 02:36:44 PM by jclarkw »

Tuicemen

• Administrator
« Reply #19 on: March 22, 2016, 06:24:43 PM »

It I possible the USB cable or port is bad or has a short have you tried a different one?
Until your able to test with your other unit it is hard to say what exactly is going on.
The fact that some times uploading works and sometime the USB isn't recognized or fails suggests a short somewhere to me.
Please Read Topic:
General Forum Etiquette
Before you post!

jclarkw

« Reply #20 on: March 22, 2016, 09:57:35 PM »

It I possible the USB cable or port is bad or has a short have you tried a different one?
Until your able to test with your other unit it is hard to say what exactly is going on.
The fact that some times uploading works and sometime the USB isn't recognized or fails suggests a short somewhere to me.

Tuicemen -- Sounds reasonable.  I have swapped out both the cable and the USB port on the computer (in fact, used two different computers) to no avail, but the CM15A is old and has had a rough life.  Odd, though, that your reset procedure (which I assume you agree I got right) seems to fix it for a while...

I have a new CM15A (or so they say) coming from Amazon this weekend and will report whether it exhibits the same problem. -- jclarkw

jclarkw

« Reply #21 on: March 29, 2016, 12:33:51 PM »

start/ device manager/universal serial bus controllers/X10usb active home......
Right Click on it click uninstall

In case it helps anyone else, I find (in Windows 7 SP1 anyhow) that universal serial bus controllers/X10usb active home is only listed in the device manager when the device is connected. -- jclarkw

Edited by: Tuicemen to fix quote(for readability)
« Last Edit: March 29, 2016, 12:42:49 PM by Tuicemen »

jclarkw

« Reply #22 on: March 30, 2016, 05:45:21 PM »

I have a new CM15A (or so they say) coming from Amazon this weekend and will report whether it exhibits the same problem. -- jclarkw

Update -- I have now received additional CM15A modules, but now I can't get the original one to refuse the USB connection.  (As I recall, I last left it in the non-connecting state!)  I can't imagine what I might have done to correct his problem, but obviously I cannot troubleshoot it until it re-appears... -- jclarkw

Tuicemen

• Administrator
« Reply #23 on: March 30, 2016, 05:56:32 PM »

Once I fixed mine the issue never happened again been well over 8 years of running now.
However it is mostly connected and the PC it is connected to is usually on.
I have to admit it has been at least2 years since I attempted to add anything.
Please Read Topic:
General Forum Etiquette
Before you post!

jclarkw

« Reply #24 on: March 31, 2016, 01:30:17 PM »

Once I fixed mine the issue never happened again been well over 8 years of running now.
However it is mostly connected and the PC it is connected to is usually on...

OPS! -- I just went to address questions in another thread, and now the bloody thing won't connect again.  I guess I spoke too soon!  Maybe you're right about a bad connection or short, perhaps in the USB connector.  Doing the reset procedure now... -- jclarkw
« Last Edit: March 31, 2016, 06:00:27 PM by jclarkw »

Jason B

• Helpful Post Rating: 1
« Reply #25 on: March 04, 2019, 10:06:45 AM »

Are you guys still on here??? Need help.

I'm had a cm15a for probably 7 years and use it with an Iphone app called x10 commander by melloware. THis iphone program lets you use an iphone to control your devices with the cm15a plugged into your computer.

Now every few hours it stops working and commands don't work, unless I unplug the cm15a out of the outlet and wait a bit and try it again. It's gotten worse over time and didn't just instantly happen. But now I can only go 3-4 hours before it stops doing the commands. Ideas?

Tuicemen

• Administrator
« Reply #26 on: March 04, 2019, 10:21:47 AM »

When X10commander was first released I believe it used the AHCMD.exe file to handle the x10 I'm not sure if this is still the case.
Using the AHCMD.exe is not stable enough for continued use. If you have not updated X10commander in 7 years it may be worth seeing if there is an updated version.
When x10commander stops does AHP stop working as well?
Please Read Topic:
General Forum Etiquette
Before you post!

Noam

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 51
« Reply #27 on: March 05, 2019, 10:23:20 AM »

When X10commander was first released I believe it used the AHCMD.exe file to handle the x10 I'm not sure if this is still the case.
Using the AHCMD.exe is not stable enough for continued use. If you have not updated X10commander in 7 years it may be worth seeing if there is an updated version.
When x10commander stops does AHP stop working as well?

I've been using x10commander (with a self-made website with buttons to trigger the commands) for many, many years. I rarely have issues with it locking up - and a reboot of the computer hosting it usually solves the issue (I've never had to unplug / replug the CM15A to fix it). As far as I recall, AHP continued to work just fine the whole time (other than when the computer was *actually* in the process of rebooting).

If AHP is not working when you have these issues, you could have a USB issue on the computer. Many years ago, I tried to use a USB extender (it used a CAT5 cable between the two ends) to move my CM15A farther from my PC. That was a total disaster. The extender was rather unstable, and was prone to resetting the USB connection when there was RF noise nearby. But while most devices would come back afterward, the CM15A wouldn't come back without unplugging /replugging it (from what I can remember), or restarting the X10Nets service. Perhaps this is a USB issue on the PC side, and not an actual problem with the CM15A? Have you tried using a different USB cable? Perhaps the one you have is getting flaky.

Jason B

• Helpful Post Rating: 1
« Reply #28 on: March 08, 2019, 02:31:18 AM »

Thanks,.  I haven't tried an new USB as the one i have looks unique, well at least the side that plugs into the CM15a does.

HA Dave

• Helpful Post Rating: 175
« Reply #29 on: March 08, 2019, 08:38:16 AM »

…... Have you tried using a different USB cable? Perhaps the one you have is getting flaky.

Great idea. I've found most device-included USB cords (X10's included) to be marginal at best. I only use my CM15A as an interface with my Homeseer now-a-days.... but it still has a heavy duty, quality, USB connection. Jason B May also want to make sure any macros or other programming are deleted from the CM15A (and the recycle bin/Trash emptied.

PS I ran Melloware with an XP netbook at one time. Don't forget to update your Melloware too. Some of these old [server] programs as well as OS can have security issues. I've found the WM-100 to be an excellent replacement for the Melloware setup. 
Home Automation is an always changing technology
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.