Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5

Author Topic: CM15A USB Problem  (Read 21356 times)

Tuicemen

• Administrator
  • Helpful Post Rating: 282
  • I don't work for X10, I use it successfuly!
Re: CM15A USB Problem
« Reply #30 on: March 08, 2019, 08:55:49 AM »

I've found the WM-100 to be an excellent replacement for the Melloware setup.
Despite all the WM100 flaws I must agree, however for a more robust setup a better option would be the PiX10Hub and a simple inexpensive RPi ZeroW.
Neither option will require a power hungry Windows PC running 24/7 ;)
Please Read Topic:
General Forum Etiquette
Before you post!

HA Dave

• Helpful Post Rating: 175
« Reply #31 on: March 08, 2019, 09:20:24 AM »

….. a more robust setup a better option would be the PiX10Hub.

I am sure you're correct (too). Not yet being a PiX10Hub user myself.... I hesitated recommending it. I am just getting back to moving around well. Spent the entire week catching up with my chore/task list. But with snow still on the ground and freezing temps.... mean I still have lots of "Home Automation Season" left. And I am ready and anxious to try a memory card image and try out the PiX10Hub
Home Automation is an always changing technology

Noam

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 51
« Reply #32 on: March 08, 2019, 10:19:54 AM »

Thanks,.  I haven't tried an new USB as the one i have looks unique, well at least the side that plugs into the CM15a does.
Nope - it's a standard A-B USB cable. You don't see as many of those these days, most things are using Mini-USB or Micro-USB (or USB-C).

brobin

• Helpful Post Rating: 157
« Reply #33 on: March 08, 2019, 10:22:00 AM »

Thanks,.  I haven't tried an new USB as the one i have looks unique, well at least the side that plugs into the CM15a does.
The end that goes into the CM15A is a USB B connector commonly used with printers. A search for 'USB B printer cable' will work.

Jason B

• Helpful Post Rating: 1
« Reply #34 on: March 08, 2019, 12:17:10 PM »

I've had a cm15a for probably 7 years and use it with an Iphone app called x10 commander, by melloware. This lets you use an iphone to control your devices with the cm15a plugged into your computer.

This has worked out great for years, 7 years. Now, every few hours it stops working and commands don't work, unless I unplug the cm15a out of the outlet and wait a bit and try it again. When I do that, all the commands that I tried to use from the iphone will happen afterwards (like it stored the command I pressed on the iphone in memory somehow, which then makes a lot of stuff turn off and on later) It's gotten worse over time and didn't just instantly start doing this. But now I can only go 3-4 hours before it stops doing the commands. Ideas?

I was going to get a new cm15a but after reading a few posts, it seems that may not fix it.

All I need installed for this to work was the host app, x-10 commander, on the pc, and the x-10 commander app on the iphone, which works over 3g or wifi. In task manager the only things I see are: X10commander.exe and X10nets.exe

Any advice is welcome as this is driving me insane. THe app also have it's on log file, but it doesn't show any errors for this type of problem it seems.

Also, I don't use the active home software, I don't need it with this, but I think there are files installed in the background of course to make my setup work.

I recently installed this yesterday, but it didn't fix the issue. The below is from one of the authors of x10 commander that was trying to hekp me also. "Jackie install this http://melloware.biz/download/warez/ahsdk_install.exe

The above install, installs the latest Active HOME and DLL drivers.  You can 
see from the X10 Commander log you sent me here is the version of the 
DLL you are running right now.

12/15/2018 4:26:50 PM [ INFO]   INIT X10 COM Object found and being loaded
12/15/2018 4:26:50 PM [ INFO]   INIT X10 COM v313
12/15/2018 4:26:50 PM [ INFO]   INIT X10 DLL v3.0.0.313 "

I have also found if I unplug the cm15a for 10 sec (no batteries in it) then re-plug back in, then close you the x10 commander app and re-open it will work again, but maybe for only 1 hr, 5 hours, then it stops.....

Edit, some other things that we may not know about, not sure if I should try any of this:

https://forums.homeseer.com/forum/lighting-primary-technology-plug-ins/lighting-primary-technology-discussion/x10-homeseer/99169-x10-cm15a-plugin-beta-releases?postcount=3

https://www.hcatech.com/download/V13/Doc/TechNote_CM15_10.pdf
« Last Edit: March 08, 2019, 12:22:25 PM by Jason B »

Tuicemen

• Administrator
« Reply #35 on: March 08, 2019, 01:58:12 PM »

This has worked out great for years, 7 years. Now, every few hours it stops working and commands don't work, unless I unplug the cm15a out of the outlet and wait a bit and try it again. When I do that, all the commands that I tried to use from the iphone will happen afterwards (like it stored the command I pressed on the iphone in memory somehow, which then makes a lot of stuff turn off and on later) It's gotten worse over time and didn't just instantly start doing this. But now I can only go 3-4 hours before it stops doing the commands. Ideas?
The cm15 is a polite transceiver meaning it will not transmit until the PL is clear. Your statement above indicates to me your CM15 is seeing a fire storm of RF and or PLC signals. This could be caused from a remote stuck under a cushion or simple line noise or a looping macro. If you had AHP installed it would be a bit easier to weed out your issue however since you don't tracking down the culprit will be a little more difficult.
I'm unfamiliar with the X10Commander but the AHP SDK does have a incoming call monitor  found in the  the bin sub folder of the AHSDK folder the file is ahcview.exe you can run this and watch for incoming signals this may help find the issue.
 >!
Please Read Topic:
General Forum Etiquette
Before you post!

Jason B

« Reply #36 on: March 08, 2019, 02:08:45 PM »

The cm15 is a polite transceiver meaning it will not transmit until the PL is clear. Your statement above indicates to me your CM15 is seeing a fire storm of RF and or PLC signals. This could be caused from a remote stuck under a cushion or simple line noise or a looping macro. If you had AHP installed it would be a bit easier to weed out your issue however since you don't tracking down the culprit will be a little more difficult.
I'm unfamiliar with the X10Commander but the AHP SDK does have a incoming call monitor  found in the  the bin sub folder of the AHSDK folder the file is ahcview.exe you can run this and watch for incoming signals this may help find the issue.
 >!

Edit: I just opened the thing you said, ahcview, and had it running after I unplugged the cm15a and closed out x10 commander, when I plugged it all back in, see attached. (all the codes I hit when it wasn't responding all came at once)

One other thing I forgot to mention, I do have an IR543 hook up somewhere else that I do not use anymore... Should I unplug that?
« Last Edit: March 08, 2019, 02:45:47 PM by Jason B »

Tuicemen

• Administrator
« Reply #37 on: March 08, 2019, 02:19:40 PM »

ahcview will not show anything until a command is seen since it isn't seeing anything now leave it running and send a few commands to be sure it is seeing what you send from your phone. Do some testing with it running.
One other thing I forgot to mention, I do have an IR543 hook up somewhere else that I do not use anymore... Should I unplug that?
if you no longer have that in service locate it and remove the batteries. I had a simular firestorm from a remote I put away in a tote. If the tote got bumped a button got pressed on sending a stream of signals locking up my system. :-[ It took me days to find it as I was sure I remove all batteries from remotes not used before putting them away. B:(
Once I discovered it I went threw all my packed up X10 stuff and double checked even my boxed up keychain remotes. ::) :'
Please Read Topic:
General Forum Etiquette
Before you post!

Tuicemen

• Administrator
« Reply #38 on: March 08, 2019, 04:21:22 PM »

I didn't realize your Cm15 had locked up again. Go around and check for any sensors which may be setup and anything else that may not be in use but still plugged in. Keep the ahcview running as it should see any calls now that the cm15 isn't locked up.
once it has been running for a while if your getting a firestorm of X10 signals they will be detected. However it may also take a specific call that triggers it as well.
Sometimes repeaters can trigger firestorms or a sticky button on a remote.
Please Read Topic:
General Forum Etiquette
Before you post!

Jason B

« Reply #39 on: March 08, 2019, 09:14:36 PM »

Nothing is plugged into the usb on front of the computer except this. In the back, just mouse, keyboard and printer that have always been there.

I then found a brand new printer usb cable that takes the same end as the cm15a, and it worked for a while, then stopped again. I also unplugged and IR543 that wasn't in use. Same thing.

I did try the device manager to see the connection for the cm15a in there, and sometimes it says "unrecognized"

Now, the last thing is, I have the cm15a plugged into a battery backup that goes to the pc without other things plugged into it of course. I did replace this battery backup like 6 months ago and this new one is a different brand. The ONLY thing I didn't try yet it plugging in the cm15a into a stand along outlet, but I don't have one close, that's why I have the battery backup, which everything is plugged into. Maybe I need an extension cord to bypass the cm15a from being plugged into the battery backup???

brobin

« Reply #40 on: March 08, 2019, 09:38:19 PM »

The CM15A should NOT be plugged into the UPS. The UPS has EMI filters that can attenuate the X10 signals from ever reaching the rest of the house. Whether that's the problem or not, it should be plugged int a wall outlet directly or with a simple extension cord (not a power strip with surge protection).

Jason B

« Reply #41 on: March 09, 2019, 05:52:56 AM »

The CM15A should NOT be plugged into the UPS. The UPS has EMI filters that can attenuate the X10 signals from ever reaching the rest of the house. Whether that's the problem or not, it should be plugged int a wall outlet directly or with a simple extension cord (not a power strip with surge protection).

Darn! Tried a new outlet with it not plugged into the battery backup, it worked for like 5 hours, then stopped again. New outlet. Crap... THen I unplugged it, waited 10 sec, plugged back in, and then the commands I had hit earlier all happened after plugging back in. I thought this might have fixed it, but no... Now what? I can try another outlet since I have this extension cord, but just tried it....

brobin

« Reply #42 on: March 09, 2019, 06:13:59 AM »

It looks like you might have something that's stuck transmitting. I once had a mini-controller that would do that sometimes even though the button wasn't pressed. After the second time it went in the trash.

Brian H

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 305
« Reply #43 on: March 09, 2019, 06:25:22 AM »

How about a lost X10 remote. Stuck into a seat cushion. In that case eventually the batteries would die.  :'

Jason B

« Reply #44 on: March 09, 2019, 06:39:04 AM »

I’ve never owned an X10 remote. This is one frustrating thing when you use this every day, you get really spoiled when you can use it.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.