Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Ryobi Garage opener  (Read 12341 times)

joefran

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
Ryobi Garage opener
« on: January 26, 2017, 10:15:34 AM »

Anyone have an idea how to get a ryobi garage door opener to work with Alexa

bkenobi

• PI Expert
  • Helpful Post Rating: 24
Re: Ryobi Garage opener
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2017, 10:58:43 AM »

No Alexa here but you might get more help if you give more details.  What model of Ryobi would be a good start.

HA Dave

• Helpful Post Rating: 175
« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2017, 10:40:43 PM »

Anyone have an idea how to get a ryobi garage door opener to work with Alexa

Yes. You'll want to look at Chamberlain MYQ-G0201 MyQ Garage Universal Smartphone Garage Door Control
Enables monitoring and control of garage door from smartphones and tablets
Sends alerts when garage door opens and closes
Free app with no monthly or ongoing service fees
For use with personal WiFi
Easily installs in minutes without hardwiring to garage door opener
Compatible with most major garage door openers made after 1993 including Chamberlain, Craftsman, Genie, Liftmaster, Linear and overhead door.

That might allow you to open/close your garage door via the Internet with a smartphone (although Ryobi isn't listed). But... it won't (I don't think) work with Alexa. You need a Wink Hub to intermediate between the two devices. Or... you might be able to skip the My Q part and use a relay type device with a Alexa compatible Hub (if your opener will work that way).... I don't know.

I replaced my opener with a Chamberlain opener and router like device (for an internet connection). My Wink hub incorporates the MyQ (Chamberlain) device/control.... and is compatible with Alexa. However.... I don't let my garage door to be controlled by a voice command. It just doesn't seem safe.
« Last Edit: January 26, 2017, 10:48:25 PM by HA Dave »
Home Automation is an always changing technology

Tuicemen

• Administrator
  • Helpful Post Rating: 282
  • I don't work for X10, I use it successfuly!
« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2017, 09:30:28 AM »

However.... I don't let my garage door to be controlled by a voice command. It just doesn't seem safe.
Amazon doesn't endorse using Alexa for any door locks or garage door openers  for that reason.
That's why you don't see any skills for those.
However it is possible to create a skill to do that, Amazon just won't allow it to be published.
Please Read Topic:
General Forum Etiquette
Before you post!

HA Dave

« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2017, 10:32:52 AM »

Amazon doesn't endorse using Alexa for any door locks or garage door openers  for that reason.
That's why you don't see any skills for those.

You don't need any special skill. All you need to do is integrate the device (door opener) through a device (Hub) that does have a skill. My Q... door opener (and wifi device) is integrated in my Wink Hub. 

I myself... am plenty mobile enough at this time... not to want to use this. But if getting up to open a door was difficult (or impossible) automated door opening and a intercom could be a real blessing. Maybe even a lifesaver.

But I would seriously consider some sort of alert-type setup like my Garage Door Macro.

« Last Edit: January 27, 2017, 10:40:49 AM by HA Dave »

bkenobi

• PI Expert
  • Helpful Post Rating: 24
« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2017, 11:09:40 AM »

Yes. You'll want to look at Chamberlain MYQ-G0201 MyQ Garage Universal Smartphone Garage Door Control

If it's the Swiss Army garage door opener here:
https://www.ryobitools.com/gdo/

...then he doesn't need to worry about the Chamberlain stuff.  That one already has some kind of smart functionality.  It's not clear to me on initial review whether it comes with all the smart phone stuff (via WiFi I'm sure) or if that's an accessory.  I'm also not seeing where they have a camera plugin so that you can make sure not to crush the cat or your wife's car.   :'

racerfern

• Helpful Post Rating: 6
« Reply #6 on: January 27, 2017, 12:16:13 PM »

That's a pretty cool garage door opener. I'm sure it won't be long before someone develops a skill for it.

HA Dave

« Reply #7 on: January 27, 2017, 12:59:35 PM »

That's a pretty cool garage door opener. I'm sure it won't be long before someone develops a skill for it.

It is a NICE door. And it is (same as mine) a Homelink/MyQ compatable door. So my post is accurate. It merely needs a Hub. Or maybe just an update to the MyQ app. I haven't DLed the reverb (Alexa) app yet... I don't know it that would be voice compatible on the OP's phone. Siri (ihome) will not allow me to voice command the MyQ app. 
« Last Edit: January 27, 2017, 01:03:22 PM by HA Dave »

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.