Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: WD13A Water Level Detector: No periodic transmission  (Read 5363 times)

toasterking

• Helpful Post Rating: 11
  • We adore chaos because we love to produce order.
WD13A Water Level Detector: No periodic transmission
« on: January 31, 2017, 10:13:24 PM »

I am trying out an X10 WD13A Water Level Detector.  One of the first things I noticed is that while it does send a signal when water is detected and another when the fault is cleared, it does not retransmit its current status every 60-90 minutes like the DS10A Door/Window Sensor does.  I don't know whether the security console cares as I'm not using one, but personally, I miss that feature.  It concerns me a little that the detection of such an important fault could be completely missed if another transmitter sends RF at the same time and causes a collision.  The alarm on the unit itself also stops after 15 seconds, so there's not much of a backup alert.

Is anyone here aware of a similar X10-compatible device that does retransmit its status periodically?

toasterking

Re: WD13A Water Level Detector: No periodic transmission
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2017, 11:11:30 PM »

BTW, in case anyone else wants to use a WD13A in AHP, you'll notice that it isn't a supported module.  I added it as a HP564 Personal Alert Remote (in the Security category) because it sends 2 of the security messages supported by that module.  When creating macros for the device, "PANIC" is the trigger when it detects water and "Disarm" is the trigger when the probes are dry.

This and my DS10A are literally the only X10 devices I have in AHP and I'm only using AHP for these because the SDK (COM interface) doesn't properly relay security RF messages.

This might be good info for the X10 wiki, but alas, I do not have permission to edit.
« Last Edit: January 31, 2017, 11:18:20 PM by toasterking »

LAF

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2017, 11:39:28 AM »

I'm also interested in this module for use with AHP for basement floor leak detection rather than detection of water level in a sub or some-such.  Anyone know what depth of water is required for it to trigger?

dave w

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 139
« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2017, 11:43:38 AM »

Anyone know what depth of water is required for it to trigger?
Enough to wet the probe tips.
"This aftershave makes me look fat"

LAF

« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2017, 01:09:39 PM »

OK, thanks.  It looks suitable (assuming it can be made to work with AHP).

What I plan on doing is installing a relay in the well pump circuit (220V) so if water is detected, the relay will cutoff power to the pump and minimize the leakage to only what is in the pressure tank.  I will control the relay with a lamp module because I happen to have a spare one.  I think I'll also put in a timer to switch the relay off at night and, when I'm away from the house (& tie the logic into the same macro that arms/disarms the motion detection stuff).

Brian H

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 305
« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2017, 02:24:41 PM »

The WD13A is a Security Sensor.
Designed to be registered to a X10 Security Console.
It will not send a standard X10RF signal.
I believe you have the On Alert AHP Plug In. With the Lifejacket installation.
You should be able to install it in AHP and then let it trigger something.

https://www.x10.com/home-security/wd13a.html

Use care if you control a relay from a Lamp Module. They are designed to only drive incandescent and 120 volt halogen incandescent replacements. Minimum load 40 watts.
Driving a inductive relay may cause issues and the Local Control Sensor in the Lamp Module may keep it On or chattering when Off.
« Last Edit: August 25, 2017, 02:35:12 PM by Brian H »

toasterking

« Reply #6 on: August 25, 2017, 03:04:23 PM »

Whenever something at least partially conductive (i.e. water) connects the prongs of the probe together, it sends a "PANIC" RF security message.  I've successfully used it in AHP macros as an HP564 Personal Alert Remote.

It's too bad that this module cannot send standard X10 ON/OFF RF commands, because then you could use it to send an RF command straight to an RF transceiver module (TM751 or RR501) which has an appliance module built in and be able to cut AHP and PLC out of the loop for better reliability.  It's possible to modify an X10 RF motion detector to accept contact closure in place of the dusk/dawn sensor:  http://www.laureanno.com/x10-mod1.html#reed  I tried this a few years ago and it worked fairly well, but I haven't tried it with water.

I also would not use a lamp module to control a relay since the TRIACs in lamp modules don't like inductive loads; it could destroy the lamp module.  There is a reason they put that warning sticker on it.  I've even seen a report of a lamp module controlling a transformer power supply (also an inductive load) successfully for days and then suddenly catching fire.  Please use an appliance module for your own safety.

LAF

« Reply #7 on: August 25, 2017, 05:16:35 PM »

It looks then like the WD13A will then detect v shallow amounts of water as long as there is continuous water between the probes.  It appears though that the "security" functions on AHP will only operate in PC mode so that won't work for me.

I was planning to install a snubber capacitor across the relay coil leads but maybe that would not be sufficient to control the back emf when the coil is de-energized(?).  The lamp modules I have do mention use with incandescent lamps only, max 300 W, but do not mention a minimum Wattage.

Thanks for the comments - looks like I may have to spring for an appliance module but I think I may experiment a bit beforehand.   :-\
« Last Edit: August 25, 2017, 05:26:22 PM by LAF »

Brian H

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 305
« Reply #8 on: August 25, 2017, 06:24:15 PM »

The 40 Watt minimum is in the users manual. Below 40 watts and the current may not be enough to keep the triac from being erratic.
http://www.authinx.com/manuals/X10/LM465.pdf

A capacitor may actually make it worse.

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.