Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Lamp vs Appliance software commands from AHP interface  (Read 4436 times)

Insitebuilders

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
Lamp vs Appliance software commands from AHP interface
« on: February 27, 2017, 10:47:34 AM »

Setting up AHP on Windows 10 after my XP finally died. Found Tuicemen AHP (a true hero), but the software commands using Lamp timer is inconsistent with both incandescent and CF bulbs.

Might be a driver thing, but I did find that the appliance commands do work and started using them.

But I started to wonder, other than the dimmer function, which I don't need, what is the difference between the lamp and appliance commands?  For that matter, are the Pro module commands any different than the non-Pro. Not the modules, but the software signals from the AHP interface.

Just curious, how the commands might differ and if one is in fact stronger than another, crossing phases or distances...

/Dennis

Tuicemen

• Administrator
  • Helpful Post Rating: 282
  • I don't work for X10, I use it successfuly!
Re: Lamp vs Appliance software commands from AHP interface
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2017, 11:42:53 AM »

There could be a couple of factors here causing issues with lamp commands first is the Softstart feature.
If your modules don't have this they should be setup in AHP as older lamp(no Softstart) under module type.
Second is Windows 10 and Microsoft's continued security fight. The AHP folder shouldn't be in Program files(x86) but directly under C:\. Moving AHP out of program files will improve performance.
No need to uninstall/reinstall, with AHP closed just cut and paste its folder then reopen AHP.
 >!
Please Read Topic:
General Forum Etiquette
Before you post!

Insitebuilders

« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2017, 02:02:23 PM »

Thanks (again), I will move that folder as you suggest.

I wonder though, are the signals sent by the software for the various modules substantially different when there is no dimmer or otherwise "intelligent" command need.

IOW is it a problem to substitute one for another if they seem to work as a switch? Is there one software module that sends a more definitive on/off signal or are they all subject to the same noise/phase/interference problems...? 

I'd imagine they are to a signal programmer, but it was interesting that the appliance software activated the lights when the lamp software did not. Just curious,

Thanks again for the W10 advice...

Brian H

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 305
« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2017, 06:09:49 PM »

The On Off modules respond to X10 On and Off commands. Also some House Code wide commands.
Like an Appliance Module will also respond to an All Units Off command on its House code but not to an All Lights On command on its House Code.

Dimmer modules may depend on if they have Soft Start features. They can be respond to an Extended X10 command. To do things like set them to a dim level directly. While the older before soft start ones. Would go On to 100% then be sent a string of dim commands to get to the wanted dim level. You can turn them On and Off. Dim or Brighten them to a level you want. Respond to a All Units Off and All Lights On. Some of them also would respond to the less used All Lights Off.

I have found my Soft Start LM465 Lamp Modules have a minimum dim level and never go to 0% Dim.

The different ways the dimmers can be handled is why the later AHP had a Lamps and Older Lamps (No Soft Start) choice for modules. The ones in the Lamps Tab used the Extended X10 commands the older ones without Soft Start would not respond to.

« Last Edit: February 27, 2017, 06:19:34 PM by Brian H »

Insitebuilders

« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2017, 02:00:14 PM »

BH
Thanks for the post, I tried the combinations you outlined and see what you mean. For some reason, I note in playing with the command modules that signals from the appliance command reaches an adjacent building, while the lamp module will not. Interesting, but I get it now.

T
On an unrelated note ref tuicemen suggestion in the first reply, in Windows 10, I moved the AHP software out the C/Program Files (x86) directory and lost the signals. Uninstalled and reinstalled, but since the directory was moved, the uninstall was corrupted. I did hand pick the AHP files out of (x86) and then reinstalled the tuicemen software directly to the C/AHP... works great again... Just a heads up in case another W10 user sees the first post.

Thx for your help.

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.