Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Garage Door Close macro - Fixed!  (Read 3273 times)

azzar0

• Helpful Post Rating: 1
Garage Door Close macro - Fixed!
« on: April 02, 2017, 08:53:03 PM »

Hello all!
I've had this macro to close the garage door for a very long time (way before X10 went out of business) and it was working fine. A while back (I can't remember if it was before or after X10 went bankrupt, but a long time) my CM15A was zapped by lightning and I had to replace it with another one. The new one doesn't have a good reception and my door / window security module didn't communicate with the interface. I disabled the macro since then until today, when I decided to make it work again. I noticed that if I moved the security sensor closer to the wall it can communicate and I can see it closing and opening in AHP. So I ran longer wires between the magnet and the actual sensor housing and brought it closer to be in range, and then I re-enabled the macro. I thought the macro works, but it doesn't. The condition is "if security module is CLOSED", which means the garage door is open. But the macro executes regardless of the state of the security sensor. I replaced the sensor with another one and installed it in AHP, same behavior. I even installed a new one and changed the macro to use that sensor, still the same.
Here is the macro:
Trigger Conditions C6 On and
Check Garage Door is Closed
End Trigger Conditions
Turn Chime ON
WAIT for 3 Seconds
Turn Chime OFF
Turn Garage Door Pre-opener ON
WAIT for 1 Second
Turn Garage Door Opener ON
WAIT for 1 Second
Turn Garage Door Opener OFF
WAIT for 1 Second
Turn Garage Door Pre-opener OFF

Normally, when the sensor (Check Garage Door) is Closed and the green light doesn't show in AHP, the macro should trigger (and it does). BUT when the sensor is OPEN, it should NOT execute, but it still does. Ideas?
« Last Edit: April 03, 2017, 01:46:00 AM by azzar0 »

HA Dave

• Helpful Post Rating: 175
Re: Garage Door Close macro
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2017, 09:35:34 PM »

I disabled the macro since then until today, when I decided to make it work again.

Could it be you have fragments of the macro floating around it the memory... maybe even in the trash/recycle bin?

I've added several feet of wire to the security sensors myself.... so that shouldn't be a problem. If it was me.... I'd delete the macro entirely (even it's room) empty the trash, clear the memory rebuild the entire macro from scratch.... and reload it all under a new name. But that's just me.

I created this macro (http://forums.x10.com/index.php?topic=14721.msg81860#msg81860). It serves my purpose.... It yells at me and reminds me when the door is left up... but it doesn't close the door.

To close the door I would have added a powerflash unit... which I assume that is what you've done. Is your powerflash unit working correctly as well?

More recently... I replaced my garage door opener. But the Macro and X10 (in my setup) operates independently of door opener... so all remains the same. But the new door wouldn't allow the contact-closure operation (with a powerflash unit) like the old opener did. But (at least some of) the new door openers allow for an internet connection that offers a few cool options too. That is the way I went and I now get door opening alerts on my phone. I can even open or close the door from anywhere.

There are even update units that allows for the door control and notification via a smart phone on existing doors.   
« Last Edit: April 02, 2017, 09:49:12 PM by HA Dave »
Home Automation is an always changing technology

azzar0

« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2017, 10:00:45 PM »

I disabled the macro since then until today, when I decided to make it work again.

Could it be you have fragments of the macro floating around it the memory... maybe even in the trash/recycle bin?

I've added several feet of wire to the security sensors myself.... so that shouldn't be a problem. If it was me.... I'd delete the macro entirely (even it's room) empty the trash, clear the memory rebuild the entire macro from scratch.... and reload it all under a new name. But that's just me.

I created this macro (http://forums.x10.com/index.php?topic=14721.msg81860#msg81860). It serves my purpose.... It yells at me and reminds me when the door is left up... but it doesn't close the door.

To close the door I would have added a powerflash unit... which I assume that is what you've done. Is your powerflash unit working correctly as well?

More recently... I replaced my garage door opener. But the Macro and X10 (in my setup) operates independently of door opener... so all remains the same. But the new door wouldn't allow the contact-closure operation (with a powerflash unit) like the old opener did. But (at least some of) the new door openers allow for an internet connection that offers a few cool options too. That is the way I went and I now get door opening alerts on my phone. I can even open or close the door from anywhere.

There are even update units that allows for the door control and notification via a smart phone on existing doors.

Thanks Dave.
Unfortunately I can't create a new macro, I have an issue with AHP, for some reason the popup window for the new macro doesn't actually show up. I see a tiny little line on the side of what's supposed to be the popup screen but not the actual screen. I can see that AHP has two windows open in the task bar but I can't actually see the second screen. This happens in multiple popup screens, such as Hardware Configuration, etc. So no, I can't create a new macro :( I was going to post another issue regarding the popup screens but I haven't gotten to it yet. This issue started after moving to Windows 10 and the hacked post-X10-bankruptcy version of AHP. I have AHP installed on one of my older, Win7 laptops, and it (kind of) works there, at least the popup screens do, but it doesn't recognize what the modules are and moving back and forth between the two computer is a nightmare because I would have to go through each module and reconfigure it after I move the file...
I attached a screenshot of my AHP with a popup screen opened and highlighted (red rectangular box) the only visible part of that screen.
If I may ask, what garage opener did you go with? I was thinking about MyQ but I would still like to get this setup to work because I can ask Alexa to close the door and schedule it so that the door closes after 5 minutes after being opened, etc. (I think MyQ also works with Alexa).

HA Dave

« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2017, 10:21:41 PM »

Thanks Dave.
Unfortunately I can't create a new macro, I have an issue with AHP,

I kinda wondered if you AHP was fully functional. Can you at least empty that trash bin? 

If I may ask, what garage opener did you go with? I was thinking about MyQ but I would still like to get this setup to work because I can ask Alexa to close the door and schedule it so that the door closes after 5 minutes after being opened, etc. (I think MyQ also works with Alexa).

Yep. I got a Chamberlain opener with MyQ. And there are all sorts of options available with MyQ/Alexa/the Wink Hub/ AND our X10. The options stagger my limited imagination.

The (Chamberlain/MyQ) garage door even communicates with my WINK hub to turn on a mix of flavors/brands of lights. All based on a "robot" (AKA Macro)... that turns lights ON... but only at very specific times. It could also close the door automatically or by (Alexia) voice command. But I've chose NOT to allow the door to be voice controlled... at least not yet. 
« Last Edit: April 02, 2017, 10:24:19 PM by HA Dave »

azzar0

« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2017, 01:45:02 AM »

Cool about MyQ! I didn't realized it was so advanced. My neighbor has one and he's been having some issues with it (sometimes not responding unless he closes the door manually, etc) and I wasn't sure if its a common issue or he's having other problems. Does MyQ work with other garage openers or just Chamberlain?
Back to my macro issue - I was able to create a new macro (just pressed Enter and the invisible popup went away and showed me the macro screen), and it was doing the same thing.
Then I vaguely remembered that when you trigger a macro from the PC (AHP), it ignores the condition(s) and actually proceeds to execute it. (is this true?)
So then I invoked the macro from a remote and it didn't execute when the sensor is open, as it should.
I think everything is OK, however I would like confirmation.
I'll definitely look into MyQ, especially if it works with my existing opener!

Thanks again Dave!

HA Dave

« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2017, 10:18:01 AM »

Cool about MyQ! I didn't realized it was so advanced. My neighbor has one and he's been having some issues with it (sometimes not responding unless he closes the door manually, etc) and I wasn't sure if its a common issue or he's having other problems. Does MyQ work with other garage openers or just Chamberlain?........
...... I'll definitely look into MyQ, especially if it works with my existing opener!

When my old Lift-Master door opener bit-the-dust (after nearly maybe half a century of use).... I went to the door-opener place about getting a new one.
Long story-short: Lift-Master units are (only professionally installed) made by the same company as Chamberlain (sold everywhere) which cost less. I don't know if MyQ is available with other brands... but for me I got the MyQ equipped Chamberlain lifter with extras... which I installed myself.... for far less than even a non-smart cheapie installed by someone who knows what they're doing (humor).

There is also MyQ add-on devices that convert existing.... but not at a particularly big savings. 

Your neighbor may have a router (or router set-up) issue. As smart homes.... becomes/means "connected homes".... our routers become more and more important. I buy my own routers (plural) instead of renting leasing one from the cable company. Although I do use the Internet providers modem.

I like the Linksys brand of routers. I find them easier to configure... and assign internal IP addresses to devices that need to always be connected. I cycled through a few routers as they continue to improve.... as my need for bandwidth continues to grow. I paid a couple hundred bucks for the router I am using now. That's almost painful for an old retiree on a fixed income... but it's what I need. I also stream movies, music, security video.... you name it.

Check out Linksys videos for setup help. Or even YouTube Videos.

racerfern

• Helpful Post Rating: 6
Re: Garage Door Close macro - Fixed!
« Reply #6 on: April 04, 2017, 08:08:24 AM »

@HA Dave

My dilemma is that my ISP supplied at no charge router will not properly power up and connect if I have too many reserved IP addresses. I would really prefer all wired devices to have fixed IP addresses, is that something that a better modem will do? How will I know without buying and trying?

HA Dave

« Reply #7 on: April 04, 2017, 07:36:41 PM »

@HA Dave

My dilemma is that my ISP supplied at no charge router will not properly power up and connect if I have too many reserved IP addresses. I would really prefer all wired devices to have fixed IP addresses, is that something that a better modem will do? How will I know without buying and trying?

I have a ISP (cable company) provided modem. I very recently got the newest version they offer for home use... which handles a really high speed and lots of bandwidth. Previously... the router (which I own) was more capable than what ISP provider supplied with their modem. The ISP offered a modem-router combo.... but I already have the router that I like... so I took the upgraded modem... only.

I had considered buying my own modem... but the ISP (cable company) gave me an upgrade... for the asking. It doesn't help much to have a great broadband connection.... if you have a slow modem. And even a fast modem is cut off at the knees.... if a clunky old router can't manage all the connections needed.

Broadband management is a new consideration. Now with two-way home control (and viewing).... and downloaded streaming... along with all the connected devices dragged in when family visits. I am sure this will all work-out shortly as ISP's are adding more speed.... and equipment is regularly upgraded.

Meanwhile.... it is always fun to whip a few months/years out of the old equipment (I still run TWO old XP home automation PC's). You might be able to fudge on your ISP provided equipment by using an internet switcher on your CAT5-6 connections... and maybe do the  same with wireless with a WiFi range extender? If you have any of that old equipment laying around.
« Last Edit: April 04, 2017, 07:38:31 PM by HA Dave »

racerfern

• Helpful Post Rating: 6
« Reply #8 on: April 04, 2017, 07:53:44 PM »

I have two switchers but that doesn't solve the fixed IP dilemma. My goal is to automatically have everything back up and running in case there is a power failure that a UPS can't handle. Right now that's a problem because the router won't start up properly with stuff plugged in (and it's a new router). So the switchers are attached to a Zooz Z-wave power strip so I can control what comes on. It's not all that difficult but it sure would be a lot easier with a good router.

For all I know, the modem or even my ISP is partially at fault, but for now the router seems to be the source of the bottleneck, not speed wise, just configuration wise.

BTW, the only thing that goes directly to the router is my zwave controller that is automatically on and an HP Mini PC that is set to come on automatically after a power failure. Everything else goes through switchers.

HA Dave

« Reply #9 on: April 04, 2017, 08:30:21 PM »

My dilemma is that my ISP supplied at no charge router will not properly power up and connect....

I have two switchers but that doesn't solve the fixed IP dilemma. My goal is to automatically have everything back up and running in case there is a power failure that a UPS can't handle. Right now that's a problem because the router won't start up properly with stuff plugged in (and it's a new router).

There's your problem. It doesn't matter who paid for the router... or how much it cost. If it doesn't fit your needs.... it's useless. It could be a configuration issue. It might even be something the ISP provider can fix over the phone. I'd give them a call. And if they can't fix the problem ask them if they think a new router provided by yourself might help.

Then... if you do use your own router (or even modem) do your research/homework. Make sure your getting what you need... and maybe a bit more... to help future-proof a little.
« Last Edit: April 04, 2017, 08:32:34 PM by HA Dave »

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.