Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Is my CM11 shot?  (Read 5206 times)

BackAgain

• Helpful Post Rating: 1
Is my CM11 shot?
« on: June 04, 2017, 06:51:57 AM »

I'll try to make this brief:

• CM11 is several years old, original when I bought the system from the old X10 site.
  • New batteries in CM11
  • Tried on two PCs, both running Win7, one desktop with onboard serial port, one notebook with USB-Serial adapter.
  • Intro Wizard step shows 'communicating'
  • When I use a remote, the modules work and the module status updates in AHPro
  • I just bought a PLC01 repeater and installed it at a central location.

But I get no response if I try to activate a module using AHP most of the time.  Sometimes it will work; maybe one out of ten.
Downloading timers and macros is painfully slow.  Takes a few seconds for the progress bar to appear, then a few minutes for it to process and show complete.  But the timers don't work at scheduled times.  Even just setting the timezone takes far too long.  These steps should be almost instant.

Where do I begin?

I'm not really in the mood to spend $70 or more on a CM15 unless it's necessary.

Is the CM15 better/different than the CM11 other than being USB vs Serial?

Knightrider

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 62
  • I love my WM100!
    • This Automated House
Re: Is my CM11 shot?
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2017, 08:39:44 AM »

I'm betting on frequency drift on the unit. Without a good diagnostic tool (see Jeff Volp), it's hard to tell. I'd tell you it's signal suckered or the like, but I've had two cm15 units drift to 131.something.  I have given up on x10 computer interfaces for the time being, as there isn't really any software support.
Remote control is cool,

but automation rules!

BackAgain

« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2017, 08:59:18 AM »

So, what are you using for scheduling ...  one of the consoles?

Brian H

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 305
« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2017, 09:36:14 AM »

Are you using the original Active Home or Active Home Pro where X10WTI patched it in to the software, with your CM11A?
I don't believe AHP was ever 100% OK before the out of business happenings. Every time I tried AHP with a CM11A similar things happened to what you are reporting.

There is a third party X10 dealer that bought a production over run of CM11A modules. So new never used CM11A modules are available. For $29.99. The X10 Shop still have over 1400 in stock.

The CM15A does have some feature the CM11A does not have. Like an X10 RF Transmitter and Receiver in it. More memory for downloaded programs.

If you are getting no response from the CM11A it possibly is starting to go bad.

Have you looked at Jeff's great X10 tutorials? You may get added information there.
http://jvde.us/x10_troubleshooting.htm

Tuicemen

• Administrator
  • Helpful Post Rating: 282
  • I don't work for X10, I use it successfuly!
« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2017, 09:40:41 AM »

If your using 64 bit windows this could be the issue with the AHP software( originally created for Windows 98 a 32 bit OS).
The CM15A has more memory and does both RF and PLC.
If it is better is debateable (I like to think it is)
As Knightrider stated there isn't any software support for AHP and since windows updates have always caused issues with AHP (my experience)  it is best to have AHP installed in none windows controlled root folders.
I've moved my AHP folder to C:\Activehome Pro and this has fixed most issues with AHP in the city.

Note: I do run AHP on a old XP thin Client which I updated to Windows 10 32 bit at my off grid place without issues and it is in the default directory.
Windows updates have yet to interfere with this AHP but it always has run better on a 32 bit OS.

Please Read Topic:
General Forum Etiquette
Before you post!

BackAgain

« Reply #5 on: June 04, 2017, 11:01:05 AM »

Are you using the original Active Home or Active Home Pro where X10WTI patched it in to the software, with your CM11A?

Downloaded AHPro 3.whatever on Win7 Home Premium 64 Bit

I still have the AH CD that came with the original kit somewhere, but I think I tried to install it and it was rejected for this OS.

BackAgain

« Reply #6 on: June 04, 2017, 11:21:50 AM »

it is best to have AHP installed in none windows controlled root folders.
I've moved my AHP folder to C:\Activehome Pro and this has fixed most issues with AHP in the city.

It was in the typical Program Files (x86) directory, but I just did a quick reinstall into C:\Activehome Pro (also set to run in Compatibility Mode)  and there is no change.  Passes the comm test and reads/shows the status of modules when using a remote, but will not trigger a module when using AHP icons.

Tuicemen

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: June 04, 2017, 12:06:31 PM »

Have you tried sending x10 code with another software?
Not sending from a PC could be a bad interface cable. Or PLC noise or signal sucker present (possibly the PCs power supply).
Please Read Topic:
General Forum Etiquette
Before you post!

BackAgain

« Reply #8 on: June 04, 2017, 03:31:55 PM »

Have you tried sending x10 code with another software?

Wouldn't know how to try or what to use.

Knightrider

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 62
  • I love my WM100!
    • This Automated House
« Reply #9 on: June 04, 2017, 10:25:04 PM »

So, what are you using for scheduling ...  one of the consoles?

I'm not. All automation via X10 has left me. I still have some remote functionality, but lack of automation is frustrating.  I've been waiting on the wifi unit for 3.5 years.
Remote control is cool,

but automation rules!

BackAgain

« Reply #10 on: June 26, 2017, 06:11:52 PM »

I don't know what I've got going on and I'm not sure how to explain it or what questions to ask.  I now have a PLC01 Repeater and a CM15 USB interface that was sold as new and appears new, but did not come in the original box.  The USB cable was still wrapped as if it was new.

But I'm not sure if it's working.  Or working right.  AHPro is installed on a WIN7 PC and the test shows connected and communicating with the CM15.

In the screenshot below, you can see better what I'm trying to deal with.  The TM751 is at the back of the house and the CM15 is at the front with the PLC01 in between, near the breaker panel.  Two old style LM465 Lamp modules are in between, closer to the front.  I'm using a CR12a ScanPad remote, standing at the front of the house, close to the CM15.

With the TM751 plugged in, you can see that the modules react (lamps come on).  The displays on AHPro change also reflecting the status.

With the TM751 unplugged, you can see that the action is logged, but that's all.  The status does not change and the lamps do not come on.

At the beginning of the screenshot, you can see that the Macros are shown as working, but the lamps do not come on or go off.

Where am I?  Did I get a bad CM15?

Tuicemen

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: June 26, 2017, 06:51:06 PM »

If you have a tm751 configured in AHP the cm15 expects the tm751 to handle those RF commands.
Unplugging the tm751 would result in what your seeing. You would need to remove the tm751 and empty the AHP recycle bin and may need to tell AHP to tranceive the house code the tm751 was on. Other wise the cm15 expects the tm751 to do its job.
Please Read Topic:
General Forum Etiquette
Before you post!

BackAgain

« Reply #12 on: June 26, 2017, 07:47:34 PM »

That may account for the RF commands, but what about the macro commands?  Shouldn't they work with the 751 plugged in?

And if I do that, can I use the 751 afterwards?  I need it as a range extender for the remote(s).

Tuicemen

• Administrator
« Reply #13 on: June 26, 2017, 07:58:01 PM »

There are several things that can be causing your macros not to function.
What is the trigger and what is in the macro?
Where is AHP installed now?
Is AHP registered?

Please Read Topic:
General Forum Etiquette
Before you post!

BackAgain

« Reply #14 on: June 26, 2017, 08:39:13 PM »

On at night.

On a Win 7 Laptop

No.  (I haven't tried your tool yet).

--------------------

Pulled the 751 and deleted it from AHP.  Reset the Monitored Housecode and updated the CM15.

I now have control by the remote.

Plugged the 751 back in (not set up and shown in AHP display).  It works as I wanted -- range extender.

All set for now (for the moment) except for the Macros, and one other thing.  I have some WS467 Wall Switches that will not work via remote, only by pressing the button.  Not too worried about those though as they may have been hit by power surges.

Pages: [1] 2

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.