Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 9

Author Topic: How I control X10 modules on Linux... (including Raspberry Pi)  (Read 31661 times)

capt-nemo

• Helpful Post Rating: 0

Heyu - (heyu.org)

- Open source.
- It's very powerful and since it's command line, it's also easy to script.
- It works on 'regular' x86 computers, Raspberry PIs (any computer running linux).

It's also easy to use, to turn on a module:
heyu on A1  (where A1 is the housecode and module #)

To turn off a module:
heyu off A1

HA Dave

• Helpful Post Rating: 175
Re: How I control X10 modules on Linux... (including Raspberry Pi)
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2017, 06:12:44 PM »

Heyu - (heyu.org)

Charles Sullivan was a longtime and highly respected member of this forum (and all corners of the Home Automation community). Charles Sullivan pasted away about 7 years ago... I believe. If you scroll down to the very bottom of the heyu.org page..... you'll see he created that site.

I think someone (with more knowledge than I'll ever have) could create a cloud-dependent Pi device for X10.
Home Automation is an always changing technology

dhouston

• Advanced Member
  • Helpful Post Rating: 37
    • davehouston.org
« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2017, 10:54:47 AM »

I think someone (with more knowledge than I'll ever have) could create a cloud-dependent Pi device for X10.

What features would you want for such a cloud-dependent Pi device for X10?
This message was composed entirely from recycled letters of the alphabet using only renewable, caffeinated energy sources.
No twees, wabbits, chimps or whales died in the process.
https://www.laser.com/dhouston

HA Dave

« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2017, 09:33:07 PM »

I have it now. Using Amazons cloud servers via echo/Alexa.... (PLUS Chamberlain, Wink, and ihome servers and apps to control devices via Alexa and my phone(s) from anywhere). But I think a device that builds on the abilities of the CM15A could really rule.

And I am controlling my X10 devices using Homeseer's Hometroller.... which is a cloud connected Raspberry Pi device. It's app allows world-wide remote control of my X10 devices using my phone. Or... through Alexa I can voice control my X10 devices. There is even an Alexa app (I haven't tried it yet).... that would allow me to control my X10 devices using the voice control... in my car.

What I like best is cross-platform compatibility. I can (and do) mix different flavors of home automation products within the same robot/program/macro.

An example: Normally the garage door opening only turns on lights in the garage (plus a small X10 light, via macro). But a cloud based macro (called a robot) will turn on a series of different brands/flavor of HA lights if the door opens (during certain hours) at night. 

It's pretty slick. I can even set-up geo-fencing. Which would monitor my and/or the wife's location (via our phone GPS locator) to activate robots (cloud based programs/macros). I could set this up to automatically open the garage door... when I return from bicycling or jogging.

I haven't figured out how to send text notices yet. And I think THAT is the cloud-based service that might be the most welcomed/needed/useful service going yet.

But what I want or would do.... is pretty meaningless. I've always marveled at and been amazed by the imagination and creativity of other HA users. And right now.... we're into summer. I have yard work the wife thinks I should be doing. And I have my outside hobby's that require my attention... (and money). But I've added HUGE amounts to my setup the year.
« Last Edit: June 11, 2017, 10:33:54 PM by HA Dave »

dhouston

• Advanced Member
    • davehouston.org
« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2017, 11:28:46 AM »

But none of what you are doing necessitates the cloud. And, even when it uses the cloud, it doesn't have to be cloud-dependent. There are voice recognition engines that run locally on the Raspberry Pi. It's only because Apple, Google, Amazon, et al want you to use their cloud that it's designed that way. And they want you in their clouds for purposes of data mining. Problems arise when there are cloudbursts as when X10's cloud dissipated.

I designed the BX24-AHT in 2000-2001, back when the skies were not cloudy all day, and the IP Commander was introduced in late 2001. The combination allowed HA control from anywhere in the world that had Internet access. And, with multiple input/output ports the BX24-AHT could integrate most of the HA hardware then available doing IFTTT long before IFTTT was a thing. It even incorporated temperature, humidity & barometric pressure sensors to monitor your home environment from afar as one user did, monitoring his southern California home while he and his family were in Canada where he was on a lengthy, temporary assignment.
« Last Edit: June 12, 2017, 11:51:45 AM by dhouston »
This message was composed entirely from recycled letters of the alphabet using only renewable, caffeinated energy sources.

racerfern

• Helpful Post Rating: 6
« Reply #5 on: June 12, 2017, 06:03:48 PM »

I have yard work the wife thinks I should be doing.
I've never met your wife, nor you for that matter, but I'm sure your wife will understand and agree that HA is far more important than yard work. There are gardeners and landscapers for that.  :' You, my far away friend have bigger fish to fry.

HA Dave

« Reply #6 on: June 12, 2017, 09:16:06 PM »

..... You, my far away friend have bigger fish to fry.

Well today I made chicken salad.  ::)

capt-nemo

« Reply #7 on: June 12, 2017, 11:19:09 PM »

I, for one, do not want my home automation in the cloud.  I want a home controller that is not accessible to chinese hackers.  Went I want to control my modules remotely, I ssh into my home machine.

I know 'the cloud' is the newest fad but, it's also a bad idea security wise.

HA Dave

« Reply #8 on: June 12, 2017, 11:44:05 PM »

I, for one, do not want my home automation in the cloud.  I want a home controller that is not accessible to chinese hackers......

I can remember... not that long ago.... when plenty of distractors were complaining that X10 wasn't secure. Because all it took/takes to hack X10 is a palmpad remote.

You don't have to be Chinese to hack a computer! The 14 year old kid next door.... with nothing to do this summer while his parents are at work... should be your biggest concern. But... neither the juvenal basement dweller or the Chinese are likely to hack a well managed server farm.

I know 'the cloud' is the newest fad but, it's also a bad idea security wise.

Well if it new(?) and popular technology... then it must be all bad... huh?

I really don't care if people don't want Home Automation. Very few people (as a percentage) are attracted to HA. I guess Edison's Direct Current electric lights were HA... at one time. But electric lighting... is pretty much standard fare now-a-days. Yes... the Cloud WAS is cutting edge for HA not very long ago. But the edge doesn't stay cutting sharp for very long. And yesterdays "fad" is hardly modern automation.
« Last Edit: June 12, 2017, 11:46:49 PM by HA Dave »

dhouston

• Advanced Member
    • davehouston.org
« Reply #9 on: June 14, 2017, 09:20:35 AM »

It's only because Apple, Google, Amazon, et al want you to use their cloud that it's designed that way. And they want you in their clouds for purposes of data mining.
And here's what Big Brother Google is doing...
Insel hopes to use data—especially the rich, ongoing streams of data that a smartphone can provide—to detect a deteriorating state of mind faster and more reliably than we can now, and then to respond and turn things around more quickly. He believes a smartphone can be both a diagnostic instrument and, through the links it gives us to others, a life-saving mode of connection and treatment.
https://www.theatlantic.com/magazine/archive/2017/07/the-smartphone-psychiatrist/528726/?google_editors_picks=true

HA Dave

« Reply #10 on: June 14, 2017, 12:30:48 PM »

And here's what Big Brother Google is doing...

I can assure you.... whatever you think "Big Brother" is doing... you're incorrect.

People naturally fear the things they have the least control or knowledge of. I can assure you.... people in the government only care about the actions of the people in-mass. And the governments latest, best, greatest, human behavior algorithms... told them Hillary Clinton was sure to win the election.

I think we have a few more years before government mind-control takes over. When the time comes to wear the foil caps.... I'll buy the foil.

HA Dave

« Reply #11 on: June 14, 2017, 12:43:50 PM »

What we really need... is some HA-tech minded person to set-up a well managed cloud based Pi service and (Pi downloadable software)... sold in kit form... if need be. If done right one unit could cover a spread of devices. I hope.... HOPE... this is the direction X10 is going.

As some of these countless brands/flavors of IP address based devices will fall to the curb.... X10 could/should buy one of them to add to X10's devices, programs, and store. Slap an X10 logo on it! Yet continue to manage and enable the millions of X10 device still out here. Everyone would be happy. Win-win.
« Last Edit: June 14, 2017, 04:06:46 PM by HA Dave »

HA Dave

« Reply #12 on: January 16, 2018, 10:05:55 PM »

What we really need... is some HA-tech minded person to set-up a well managed cloud based Pi service and (Pi downloadable software)... sold in kit form... if need be. If done right one unit could cover a spread of devices. I hope.... HOPE... this is the direction X10 is going.

The story below.... sorta began here too!

rofl :)% Well I didn't actually stumble onto any solutions... but in on-line discussions... decided to actually try some of this myself. I may completely fail in the effort.... but that's OK too. I am learning a few things Meanwhile.... X10 is very close to releasing a new WiFi module/interface/controller that has great promise. So if nothing else.... I was wrong about what I hoped would be the future direction of HA.

Meanwhile..... back at the Automated House... I am trying to eliminate my HA PC (an old XP laptop I bought new in 2001). I bought a latest Raspberry Pi 3 Canakit (off Amazon). And with support from the members here at the forum.... I created at the very least a mini PC that can be hidden behind a TV and runs on only 2.4 amps at 5 volts, at the cost of $69. Has a great office suite, surfs the web, and runs YouTube videos like a champ.

And.... if I am lucky (I am not going to depend on skills)... I'll get an X10 HA PC that adds computer brains and a voice to my macros and automation.

HA Dave

« Reply #13 on: January 16, 2018, 11:44:22 PM »

Watching some videos on YouTube to get an idea of what others are doing with Raspberry Pi and Alexa. And this video was turning my lights on and off... LOL

petec

« Reply #14 on: January 17, 2018, 07:05:24 AM »

Hello Folks,

Just a quickie post here.

Just joined forum today.  I am old here and have used X10 on initially Commodore VIC, 64 and Amiga way back then used it on first generation MS DOS and Windows 1.0-3.0.   

I started to use X10 in the beginning or so 1978 or so.  Today continue to utilize X10 and have no dependencies on the cloud.  I have migrated now to Linux for my automation here.  Relating to the RPi Wheezy, Jessie and Stretch X10 works great.  Also running it here on Ubuntu 16.04 64 bit.

I tinker a bunch where as primary X10 day to day stuff is running on my Homeseer server plus utilizing a combo Leviton OmniPro 2 which is doing X10, UPB, ZWave and Zigbee.  I have been able to replicate similiar on the RPi these days.  Home here is a sandbox and do tinker with other HA software running on Linux.

I try to push the cloudless approach here and still tinker with things like Alexa.  What still works for me too is using Microsoft SAPI / Kinect for TTS and VR locally.  I can today enable Amazon Alexa via MS SAPI.  I do run MS SAPI in an Oracle Virtual box on the same computer doing automation in Linux.

Most recent RPi project here relating to a do all RPi in the attic doing a small 1-wire network, ZWave, X10 and now have added an SDR radio to download NOAA satellite weather maps.  The RPi is hardly working at all here.  I use it more as a slave to another Linux automation box in a very basic way of enabling Ethernet transport for serial stuff...easy peasy...

All written above I would like to help fellow X10 folks here move to the RPi world of X10 automation.  It is easy and works great.
« Last Edit: January 17, 2018, 07:09:56 AM by petec »
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 9

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.