Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Premiertek Smart Plug (HS1050)  (Read 2702 times)

BackAgain

• Helpful Post Rating: 1
Premiertek Smart Plug (HS1050)
« on: October 10, 2017, 04:38:58 PM »

Does anybody know if/how this can be controlled locally, without the Tuya service which seems to require a remote login  ?

Premiertek Smart Plug (HS1050)

dave w

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 139
Re: Premiertek Smart Plug (HS1050)
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2017, 07:53:23 PM »

Well, the instructions imply that pushing the power button on the end, turns it on and off.
http://www.premiertek.net/pictures/HS1050/HS1050_QIG.pdf
"This aftershave makes me look fat"

dhouston

• Advanced Member
  • Helpful Post Rating: 37
    • davehouston.org
« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2017, 08:31:03 AM »

There are numerous brand names for this device on both Amazon and eBay. For example...
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B071CWXCNV/ref=s9u_simh_gw_i5?ie=UTF8&fpl=fresh&pd_rd_i=B071CWXCNV&pd_rd_r=a2ddf442-ae6e-11e7-b998-394b85553a7f&pd_rd_w=eB43H&pd_rd_wg=ctHPD&pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_s=&pf_rd_r=NND8EDF7ZJ60TGVP20N7&pf_rd_t=36701&pf_rd_p=1cf9d009-399c-49e1-901a-7b8786e59436&pf_rd_i=desktop

eBay prices are as low as $12 with free shipping from US locations. All versions appear to have UL approval.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Premiertek-Wi-Fi-WiFi-Mini-Smart-Plug-Control-from-Anywhere-Work-w-Alexa-UL-FCC-/162449605729

Even if it's cloud-dependent, it may be possible to reflash the firmware to allow cloud-free operation. Tuicemen has done this with an ESP8266 based relay from ITead Studios. It all depends on the internal hardware.
« Last Edit: October 11, 2017, 08:36:29 AM by dhouston »
This message was composed entirely from recycled letters of the alphabet using only renewable, caffeinated energy sources.
No twees, wabbits, chimps or whales died in the process.
https://www.laser.com/dhouston

BackAgain

« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2017, 10:26:14 AM »

Cloud free would be good.  Awaiting reply to that concept.

I don't understand requiring cloud access to function.  That's fine as an option for those who wish to control devices while away from home.  All I want to do is automate some timers.  All of my needs are within the house, never while away.  Users should have that option.

I can't see the purpose of sending a signal thousands of miles to control a lamp 20' away.

dhouston

• Advanced Member
  • Helpful Post Rating: 37
    • davehouston.org
« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2017, 10:51:05 AM »

The purpose is to accumulate data on millions of users that can be mined.

The cloud is not a necessity for remote access but it probably makes it easier from the programmer's standpoint for setting timers. And there may be insufficient local memory.

But, I agree that the user should have to opt in for clouds.
« Last Edit: October 11, 2017, 11:38:17 AM by dhouston »
This message was composed entirely from recycled letters of the alphabet using only renewable, caffeinated energy sources.
No twees, wabbits, chimps or whales died in the process.
https://www.laser.com/dhouston

Tuicemen

• Administrator
  • Helpful Post Rating: 282
  • I don't work for X10, I use it successfuly!
« Reply #5 on: October 11, 2017, 11:55:41 AM »

Cloud based programs are much easier to maintain and program it also ensures all users are using the most up to date version app and firmware.
Since Alexa control is available via a skill this can only be accomplished via the cloud.

I also don't like cloud only control if the internet is down( and it is very often here even if only briefly) your automation is screwed. If the company goes under, and lots of these do, your left with door stops.
Please Read Topic:
General Forum Etiquette
Before you post!

BackAgain

« Reply #6 on: October 11, 2017, 12:45:57 PM »

Cloud based programs are much easier to maintain and program it also ensures all users are using the most up to date version app and firmware.

Since Alexa control is available via a skill this can only be accomplished via the cloud.

I also don't like cloud only control if the internet is down( and it is very often here even if only briefly) your automation is screwed. If the company goes under, and lots of these do, your left with door stops.

Lukewarm on that.  Lots of updates have been known to reduce or degrade functionality.

Don't care about that.

DO care about that and it's one of the big reasons I oppose these.

So, is there a way to hack these?

Tuicemen

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: October 11, 2017, 01:10:56 PM »

So, is there a way to hack these?
I'm unfamiliar with these so a hack to change the firmware may or may not be possible.
As dhouston stated I have successfully changed the firmware in a itead sonoff module.
There are several firmware versions on the net for the ESP8266 Wi-Fi chip so if it indeed uses this chip a hack could be done using espEasy
https://sourceforge.net/projects/espeasy/
Please Read Topic:
General Forum Etiquette
Before you post!

BackAgain

« Reply #8 on: October 11, 2017, 01:50:50 PM »

'Eyes perk up'

I have deliberately avoided the Sonoff modules for this very reason.  I've seen those cheap and could easily use those in some places IF they could be controlled as I have outlined.

Tuicemen

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: October 11, 2017, 02:02:44 PM »

I changed the firmware in the safevoltage to allow me to place my solar array tracker (12 volt) into a park position during high winds.
The firmware I used only had on/off operation no timer or macro options however that's all I required.
I used this page to familiarize my self with the flashing process and used one of the firmwares posted.
https://community.smartthings.com/t/release-sonoff-sonoff-th-s20-dual-4ch-pow-touch-device-handler-smartapp-5-10-smart-switches/45957
The flashing tool I got off ebay for under $10 ( I believe I used the exact one shown in the article )

This FW also will allow you to use the cloud based smartthings software (no hub required) if you wish cloud based control.
Please Read Topic:
General Forum Etiquette
Before you post!

bkenobi

• PI Expert
  • Helpful Post Rating: 24
« Reply #10 on: October 12, 2017, 11:07:19 AM »

Not to thread-jack, but the Sonoff devices with DHT11...how do those work?  I built an attic fan controller years ago based on an Arduino, 3 DHT11, and 2 XPS3 switches.  The device works great for what I wanted (ventilate for x time if humidity is too high and outside is lower and within temperature range, ventilate if temp is too high).  I can control it remotely if it gets stuck since the fans are on X10.  But, it sometimes runs at night (rarely) and I have no way to see what it's doing over time (it doesn't transmit activity).  If I were to redo it, these seem like an awesome option!

Tuicemen

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: October 12, 2017, 12:32:07 PM »

The Sonoff is a two way wi-fi module so you can check its status.
I've not played with the temp/humidity model but I would suspect you could trigger on those. I know it will report the temp & humidity levels.
iTead has improved their app but there is still room for lots of improvements for when there is no cloud access.
Of coarse if you flashed the firmware you could most likely have it doo what you'd like and not need the cloud at all.
They are cheap enough to experiment with. I bought two of the safe voltage modules and killed one experimenting so my solar park actually cost me $15 instead of $7. The ESP wi-fi chip only uses 3 volts.
Please Read Topic:
General Forum Etiquette
Before you post!

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.