Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Amazon Key  (Read 5884 times)

HA Dave

• Helpful Post Rating: 175
Amazon Key
« on: October 25, 2017, 10:46:03 AM »

I just read about this.... I am pretty sure it's new.

Amazon Key.... works in conjunction with the Amazon cloud camera and the automated door lock. So the Amazon delivery person can set packages inside your (otherwise) locked front door.

This is the same type of camera/door lock automation many here already have (I use the garage door... and a much clunkier system)..... although currently you/me and, or your/my phone are the active decision makers to recognize the person at the camera and activate the door lock (unlock the door).... all thru phone apps.

This new feature makes the process seamless and automated.... with your phone merely being notified of the action. Pretty darn slick!

« Last Edit: October 25, 2017, 10:50:06 AM by HA Dave »
Home Automation is an always changing technology

HA Dave

Re: Amazon Key
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2017, 10:56:37 AM »

Looking at the prices.... I've wanted one of these locks for sometime now. They are on the verge of affordable (on my budget).

Oh... and the cloud camera?

HA Dave

« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2017, 10:59:19 AM »

Amazon Prime membership.... and batteries... required.

dhouston

• Advanced Member
  • Helpful Post Rating: 37
    • davehouston.org
« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2017, 12:02:45 PM »

Amazon Prime membership.... and batteries... required.
As well as proximity to a large metropolis...
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00KCYQGXE?locationCheckInvoked=1
And, not everybody is as enthused as HA Dave...
https://www.buzzfeed.com/remysmidt/amazon-key
« Last Edit: October 25, 2017, 04:18:45 PM by dhouston »
This message was composed entirely from recycled letters of the alphabet using only renewable, caffeinated energy sources.
No twees, wabbits, chimps or whales died in the process.
https://www.laser.com/dhouston

dave w

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 139
« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2017, 05:56:44 PM »

I just read about this.... I am pretty sure it's new.

Amazon Key.... works in conjunction with the Amazon cloud camera and the automated door lock. So the Amazon delivery person can set packages inside your (otherwise) locked front door.

although currently you/me and, or your/my phone are the active decision makers to recognize the person at the camera and activate the door lock (unlock the door).... all thru phone apps.

Is that the only way? I heard on news that driver code, package bar code, and geo position was required to unlock door. Maybe I missed information about resident being part of the equation. I wonder how they address a security system.
"This aftershave makes me look fat"

Knightrider

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 62
  • I love my WM100!
    • This Automated House
« Reply #5 on: October 25, 2017, 09:04:16 PM »

I would hope it comes in more than the qwikset variety. Those are probably the worst locks on the market.
Remote control is cool,

but automation rules!

HA Dave

« Reply #6 on: October 25, 2017, 09:23:15 PM »

Is that the only way? I heard on news that driver code, package bar code, and geo position was required to unlock door. Maybe I missed information about resident being part of the equation. I wonder how they address a security system.

I think they notify the customer via the camera (app).... so the delivery person knows they might be watched. (And... I would assume a recording of the delivery would be made as well.) But you're probability right about automated un-locking. The possibilities.... are endless.

I've only used my remote garage door (with camera's) once. But it was a real hoot to grant (restricted) access while shopping with the wife at Target.

But realistically.... the real advantage of this automated and remote entry might be in the event of injury or emergency. Imagine... having a medical emergency and not being able to get to the door to let in help. Nice to think.... we might be able to yell to Alexa or Siri to unlock or open a door. 

HA Dave

« Reply #7 on: October 25, 2017, 09:53:35 PM »

I would hope it comes in more than the qwikset variety. Those are probably the worst locks on the market.

An interesting and timely post! I just replaced a qwikset lever-style door entry lock.

I had installed it when my wife had hand operations... those level-handles are really much easier to use (than a round knob). That was about a decade ago... and the lock was already shot. The Schlage I installed (yesterday) is noticeability better.

I'd like to install an automated deadbolt on the same entry door... so the manual lock is always available, for safety. .....And after working out some other safety and automation issues.... THEN make the garage door voice activated (maybe).

With the Alexa phone app we could securely open/close the door from the car (no garage door remote button left in the car to be stolen). And in case of a medical emergency at home... I could voice command-open the house for the squad from anywhere in the house. 
« Last Edit: October 25, 2017, 10:09:07 PM by HA Dave »

HA Dave

« Reply #8 on: October 25, 2017, 10:05:03 PM »

And, not everybody is as enthused as HA Dave... 

You can post that again! I sometimes I have to re-think my position on all this cloud investment myself. But then again.... I was doubtful of using a credit card online.... many years ago. But cloud based AI... is the here and now. There is no turning back.

dhouston

• Advanced Member
  • Helpful Post Rating: 37
    • davehouston.org
« Reply #9 on: October 26, 2017, 04:55:12 AM »

And in case of a medical emergency at home... I could voice command-open the house for the squad from anywhere in the house.
Or you could just get one of these and tell the 911 operator the combination - been there, done that...
https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=sr_1_11_hso_sc_smartcategory_1?rh=n%3A511382%2Ck%3Alockbox&keywords=lockbox&ie=UTF8&qid=1509008065&sr=8-11-acs
« Last Edit: October 26, 2017, 04:59:09 AM by dhouston »
This message was composed entirely from recycled letters of the alphabet using only renewable, caffeinated energy sources.
No twees, wabbits, chimps or whales died in the process.
https://www.laser.com/dhouston

roger1818

• Helpful Post Rating: 28
  • Roger H.
« Reply #10 on: October 26, 2017, 10:18:39 AM »

And in case of a medical emergency at home... I could voice command-open the house for the squad from anywhere in the house.
Or you could just get one of these and tell the 911 operator the combination - been there, done that...
https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=sr_1_11_hso_sc_smartcategory_1?rh=n%3A511382%2Ck%3Alockbox&keywords=lockbox&ie=UTF8&qid=1509008065&sr=8-11-acs

Assuming you are able to talk.  If you are choking and alone you might not be able to say anything.  Also, if you pass out after dialing.  EMS will break open the door if they can't get in.

HA Dave

« Reply #11 on: October 26, 2017, 10:32:54 AM »

.....Assuming you are able to talk.  If you are choking and alone you might not be able to say anything.

True. It may be some time before we have health/stress/heartbeat sensors. But we work with what tech is available... we can't wait forever. And technology can't alter mortality. People will continue to fall off ladders (or stacked chairs) at home...everyday of the week. But the perfect is not the enemy of the good (or better). With the current (lack of) normal home technology.... home is a fairly dangerous place. HA can make is a tad safer.

Also, if you pass out after dialing.  EMS will break open the door if they can't get in.

I am pretty sure the EMS and firefighters in this area are well trained and would walk though an open garage door or rattle the door knob before getting out the breaker bar.
« Last Edit: October 26, 2017, 10:37:47 AM by HA Dave »

HA Dave

« Reply #12 on: October 26, 2017, 10:39:56 AM »

That's right.... great idea.... I remember you posting that at another thread once (now). X10 used to have a emergency watch/penchant and my 90 year old mom has such a monitored device. I think many or most alarm systems offer such a service too.

BackAgain

• Helpful Post Rating: 1
« Reply #13 on: October 27, 2017, 01:52:00 AM »

Ain't a'happenin'.

bkenobi

• PI Expert
  • Helpful Post Rating: 24
« Reply #14 on: October 27, 2017, 11:32:14 AM »

I've been reading a lot about locks and their internal workings in recent months.  It appears that this lock is a Kwikset smartkey lock as the physical locking mechanism.  I think it's fair to warn people that this is one of the worst locks available for residential service.  It is possible to use a screwdriver and a pair of channel lock pliers to open a dead bolt in just a few seconds.  The internal workings are not robust and I personally would not use it.  I'm not going to touch the digital part because that's another issue.  But, if it literally takes zero skills and $2 worth of tools to open the door (cheaper than making a new key), I'm not impressed.

Pages: [1] 2

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.