Cortana
- 4 (7.1%)
Siri
- 9 (16.1%)
Other (please specify)
- 1 (1.8%)

Total Members Voted: 35

Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: Please create an voice assitant skill  (Read 11194 times)

Tuicemen

• Administrator
  • Helpful Post Rating: 282
  • I don't work for X10, I use it successfuly!
Please create an voice assitant skill
« on: December 27, 2017, 01:25:02 PM »

The owner has stated that the developer would look at Alexa next. To me that doesn't mean they'll create one.
However if the interest is there it may happen quicker.
I realize many like myself use Google, Alexa and maybe Cortana so for this reason I've allowed voting for all answers.
 >!
« Last Edit: December 27, 2017, 03:07:00 PM by Tuicemen »
Please Read Topic:
General Forum Etiquette
Before you post!

Noam

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 51
Re: Please create an voice assitant skill
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2018, 11:14:32 AM »

While we're asking for more skills, how about adding one for IFTTT (If This Then That) - another cool scripting app/system that already has ties to other Home Automation systems, as well as hooks to popular e-mail, calendar, etc apps.

Tuicemen

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2018, 11:18:44 AM »

A skill doesn't need to be made for IFTTT
You can use web hooks to send info to devices this would include the WM100 (if the protocol was published).
Please Read Topic:
General Forum Etiquette
Before you post!

HA Dave

• Helpful Post Rating: 175
« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2018, 11:59:15 AM »

Wow.... I hadn't thought of all the different virtual people this might be used with.
Home Automation is an always changing technology

Tuicemen

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2018, 12:08:45 PM »

I suspect eventually there will be one top dog if not already.
Cortana and Alexa are set to work together and that was to have happened in 2017 but the deadline pasted with out implementation. So I expect to see it shortly.
Others may team up to fight for top spot as a good search engine is what makes these shine.
Please Read Topic:
General Forum Etiquette
Before you post!

HA Dave

« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2018, 08:12:35 PM »

Using this great, quality, rock solid, unit with the Amazon Alexa is my number one desire. Period.

Walt2

• Advanced Member
  • Helpful Post Rating: 28
« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2018, 11:53:36 AM »

While we're asking for more skills, how about adding one for IFTTT (If This Then That) - another cool scripting app/system that already has ties to other Home Automation systems, as well as hooks to popular e-mail, calendar, etc apps.

Can I vote against IFTTT?

Maybe I am pretty paranoid, but IFTTT's hooks are alarming.   Their android app (maybe their iPhone app too?), collects copies of all your pics, all of your contacts, reads all your sent/received SMS, and reads your phone call logs.   

To me, that's not a nice app.
* Sears Home Control System, Radio Shack Plug 'n Power, NuTone, Stanley LightMaker, BSR, HomeLink.
* Tecmar Device Master, CP290 (LightHouse), CM11A (AH), CM14A (AH2), CM15A (AHPro).

Tuicemen

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: January 23, 2018, 12:33:56 PM »

IFTTT isn't a skill nor a voice assistant.  ;)
the only way X10 could disable you from using IFTTT would be not to publish the protocol.
And I believe everyone wants the protocol to be released.
Please Read Topic:
General Forum Etiquette
Before you post!

roger1818

• Roger H.
« Reply #8 on: January 23, 2018, 12:39:34 PM »

Their android app (maybe their iPhone app too?), collects copies of all your pics, all of your contacts, reads all your sent/received SMS, and reads your phone call logs.

I haven't used Android, but from what I have seen, iOS (assuming you haven't jaibroken it) does a better job of asking users if an app can have access to hardware and data and allowing the user to prevent an app from gaining access.  From what I have heard all Android does is hides permission in the license agreement that no one reads and it is up to you to agree or not use the app.

HA Dave

« Reply #9 on: January 23, 2018, 02:50:04 PM »

I haven't used Android, but from what I have seen, iOS (assuming you haven't jaibroken it) does a better job of asking users if an app can have access to hardware and data and allowing the user to prevent an app from gaining access.

You're right! iOS is a little safer/more secure.... like it matters. And there isn't any shame in a little "fear of the unknown" either. True be told... it's a part of the human condition. But connectivity and technology ruined any chance of any privacy.... years ago.

Exploiting this same technology is one way we can share in it's benefit. And there are tons of benefits.

Walt2

• Advanced Member
« Reply #10 on: January 23, 2018, 04:57:46 PM »

Their android app (maybe their iPhone app too?), collects copies of all your pics, all of your contacts, reads all your sent/received SMS, and reads your phone call logs.

I haven't used Android, but from what I have seen, iOS (assuming you haven't jaibroken it) does a better job of asking users if an app can have access to hardware and data and allowing the user to prevent an app from gaining access.  From what I have heard all Android does is hides permission in the license agreement that no one reads and it is up to you to agree or not use the app.

Just to clarify, Android tells you want the apps wants to use, and asks permission, but if you say 'no', it completely aborts the install.
* Sears Home Control System, Radio Shack Plug 'n Power, NuTone, Stanley LightMaker, BSR, HomeLink.
* Tecmar Device Master, CP290 (LightHouse), CM11A (AH), CM14A (AH2), CM15A (AHPro).

Tuicemen

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: February 15, 2018, 02:05:35 AM »

With voice assistance so popular and the Owner of Authinx asking me to look at creating something so users could easily use Alexa with existing X10 PC interfaces. I would have thought a skill would have been very quickly developed for this. ::) :'
Authinx obviously sees the importance and popularity of a skill allowing this.
The Alexa, Google and Cortana assistant apps all allow some additional HA options besides simple on/off/dim.
A skill would allow the WM100 to tap into those options.
From emails with the owner he seems to thing a firmware update will be required.
This may be the case due to how phones initially have to connect to it. ::) :'
Good thing the firmware is upgradable over the internet! :)%
 >!
Please Read Topic:
General Forum Etiquette
Before you post!

Knightrider

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 62
  • I love my WM100!
    • This Automated House
« Reply #12 on: February 15, 2018, 02:14:12 AM »

Let's face it, developing apps takes time and money.
If they released the protocol,  there are enthusiasts who would develope third party apps that met smaller niches.
Those third party apps would drive the sale of the hardware.

The more functional the Willie 100 becomes, the more it appeals to the consumer.

Releasing the protocol reduces the amount of time and money required  by Authinx .
Remote control is cool,

but automation rules!

Tuicemen

• Administrator
« Reply #13 on: February 15, 2018, 02:28:01 AM »

Releasing the protocol reduces the amount of time and money required  by Authinx .
Agreed but this is not the thread to discuss the protocol.  ;)

I believe Authinx already has an agreement with the developer for creating a skill. The issue is the time frame it gets done.
They wish to have the Willie 100 as stable as possible before this is started.
I've not looked into skill development much but I do know it means learning another programing language(for me). ::) :'
Hopefully the developer is already familure with the process.
Please Read Topic:
General Forum Etiquette
Before you post!

HA Dave

« Reply #14 on: February 15, 2018, 02:42:53 AM »

Let's face it, developing apps takes time and money.

And..... I am sure you realize few businesses invest time and money without a chance for a return. "Skills" are free... they can't be sold. If someone else develops a skill it will be to control "their software product" they want to sell for DL to the WM100. Having to "buy" software for a module that X10 sells... does NOT increase the modules value.

If they released the protocol,  there are enthusiasts who would develope third party apps that met smaller niches. Those third party apps would drive the sale of the hardware.

On this/that we're in complete agreement! That Alexa "niche"... is MILLIONS of users. Why on Earth wouldn't MILLIONS of potential customers be X10 number one priority? 

The more functional the Willie 100 becomes, the more it appeals to the consumer.

We agree again! And no function is more desired among NEW automation users than Alex/Google/Siri voice control. THAT is the ONE function X10 should be absolutely on top of.

EXCEPT.... X10 ain't got that in a desk drawer somewhere. The Chinese contractor never relinquished that product... and like with the CM15A... probability never will. IF X10 owned it... they should share it. But X10 doesn't own the protocol anymore than you or I. It's silly to spend time or money on anything you can't control or own (unless it's charity).

X10 needs to serve it's customers and potential customers and make X10 modern. Build the skill and get it out there the sooner the better.
Pages: [1] 2 3

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.