Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: New PC and can't remember how to re install AHP  (Read 5987 times)

mike

• Helpful Post Rating: 14
Re: New PC and can't remember how to re install AHP
« Reply #15 on: April 22, 2018, 06:02:03 PM »

I suspect you have AHP installed in two locations and the wrong one is loading.
How are you starting AHP, from a desktop short cut or from the AHP folder?

Normal daily use is shortcut on desktop, but to test the theory I exited it and then loaded right from the C:\progfiles\ahp directory and then exited that and did the old C drive which is now H from its H;progfile/ahp folder.  So I do not think I am loading wrong one;  besides, both used to work with all the add ins...

Tuicemen

• Administrator
  • Helpful Post Rating: 282
  • I don't work for X10, I use it successfuly!
« Reply #16 on: April 22, 2018, 06:05:40 PM »

Is the "ahp_plugin.xml" file the same (text) in both AHP locations?
Please Read Topic:
General Forum Etiquette
Before you post!

mike

« Reply #17 on: April 22, 2018, 06:45:09 PM »

Is the "ahp_plugin.xml" file the same (text) in both AHP locations?

yep.  and my original from years ago is same just not all of them:

<xml>
    <plugin id="AHXAVX" href="avx.dll"/>
    <plugin id="AHXHSS" href="ahp.dll"/>
    <plugin id="AHXAMO" href="ahp.dll"/>
    <plugin id="AHXANT" href="ant.dll"/>
</xml>

file is same complete one now in both locations, as well as same in my c:AHPlifejacket directory I never erased.

searched for 'plugin' in AHP prog directory files and it is only in the install log file once.  No where else (other than the old x10 href file xlinks.xml)

So I am confused.  Perhaps time for another reboot...

mike

« Reply #18 on: April 23, 2018, 08:11:55 PM »

I suspect you have AHP installed in two locations and the wrong one is loading.
How are you starting AHP, from a desktop short cut or from the AHP folder?

SOMETHING FOR EVERYONE TO WATCH FOR!!

O.M.G.!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Windows 10!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Windows 10 updates all the time.  Some recent one MOVED and copied some of my often used files from normal program files directory to a temp directory AND IS RUNNING FROM THERE!

I had this happen a year ago when they decided my desktop was no longer good enough!  No, they had to MOVE it to their cloud based ONEDRIVE!!  But that would be too simple, so they only moved SOME OF IT!!  So now, if I try to find something on my desktop, I have to search both the normal desktop folder under users, AND the desktop folder under ONEDRIVE!  So now they arae beginning similar tricks with program files!

My clue was wondering where my 2018 .ahx saves went as they were no longer in the program directory...  So I used my wonderful 'Everything' (http://www.voidtools.com/) search tool and looked for .ahx   and 2018 and found it!       

Well, so far adding ahp_plugin.xml here did not solve it, but I suspect I am on the right track...

Folks beware, it may happen to you with some soon to come windows 10 update! 

Here is the contents and location of this pseudo program file directory:
« Last Edit: April 23, 2018, 08:18:36 PM by mike »

mike

« Reply #19 on: April 23, 2018, 08:30:30 PM »

Getting to the bottom of loosing all plugins... 

Seems if a program tried to write to a folder and does not have permission, then windows now sticks the file in this virtualstore folder...  I just tried to copy my .ahx files back over to correct folder and it said I needed admin priviledges or it would not write them...  So some update changed my permissions and thus Activehm.exe cannot write to the directory when it runs and somehow caused this crap.  That is my theory as I work thru opening permissions again....

HA Dave

• Helpful Post Rating: 175
« Reply #20 on: April 23, 2018, 09:38:49 PM »

........................Windows 10 updates all the time.  Some recent one MOVED and copied some of my often used files from normal program files directory to a temp directory AND IS RUNNING FROM THERE!

I had this happen a year ago when they decided my desktop was no longer good enough!  No, they had to MOVE it to their cloud based ONEDRIVE!!  But that would be too simple, so they only moved SOME OF IT!!  ............

I am also a big fan of windows 10... and the cloud-based ONEDRIVE! It's amazing what American ingenuity can create when they don't worry about customer expectations.... and concentrate only on the product profits. 
Home Automation is an always changing technology

mike

« Reply #21 on: April 23, 2018, 09:50:59 PM »

ya on win 10 Dave.

I am about to uninstall ahp and reinstall.  I have deleted all the virtualstore stuff, corrected permissions on program files folder and subfolders so again I can write into the active homoe directory without complaint needing admin permissions, I even reran LifeJacket to re-register the plugins. 

Nothing helped. 

I give up for today.  I will tomorrow uninstall AHP and re-install it and LifeJacket it again to see. 

I thought computers were here to save us time;  instead they seem to ADD 3 orders of magnitude to the time required to do simple stuff!

sheesh!

HA Dave

• Helpful Post Rating: 175
« Reply #22 on: April 23, 2018, 10:10:25 PM »

ya on win 10 Dave......

Yeah... I have two win 10 laptops. But... I also have a Vista, and 3 old XP laptops. I have the AHP software on the old XP's
Home Automation is an always changing technology

mike

« Reply #23 on: April 24, 2018, 06:54:49 PM »

ya on win 10 Dave......

Yeah... I have two win 10 laptops. But... I also have a Vista, and 3 old XP laptops. I have the AHP software on the old XP's

I am running ahp on two computers, both win 10 64 bit machines....

SO:  i gave up, used revo uninstaller to uninstall and get rid of left overs in register...  reinstalled, applied AHP Lifejacket - BIG THANK YOU AGAIN TUICEMAN!!!!! - and all is back running.  On ahp program start it again says registered to my plugins (I had lost that and did not remember) and smart macros show up just fine again!

I HAVE NO CLUE WHY THIS ALL CRASHED AND BURNED.  But thank God for the easing of the reinstall pain from Tuiceman!  Before his Lifejacket, it would take we 45 minutes to copy and paste each rgistration into each plugin after each reinstall on new computers over the years!

Thanks all for helping me return to X10 worksville!

Tuicemen

• Administrator
  • Helpful Post Rating: 282
  • I don't work for X10, I use it successfuly!
« Reply #24 on: April 24, 2018, 07:41:49 PM »

Glade to see your back up and running  :)%
 >!
Please Read Topic:
General Forum Etiquette
Before you post!
Pages: 1 [2]

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.