Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Knightrider's WM100 Review  (Read 10784 times)

Knightrider

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 62
  • I love my WM100!
    • This Automated House
Knightrider's WM100 Review
« on: January 17, 2018, 09:17:29 PM »

I have a new WM 100. Using the Android App
Out of the box, it's fairly straightforward to setup. Install the app, scan the QR Code on the back, plug the unit in and press the SYNC button on the front for three seconds until the light flashes and then it walks you through the rest.

The first drawback was trying to setup the device with my phone. I had trouble getting the code to scan, so I installed the app on my tablet. Setup was a breeze. My only wish was for an option to manually enter the unit ID number so I can install on my phone. The other drawback is that you need to unplug the device to get to the QR Code when installing on other devices. You may not want to put this unit in the AV closet for this reason.

Adding devices is pretty easy. Once you have that, you can add the devices to ROOMS tabs, and also to SCENES.

ROOMS are pretty rudimentary,  and as long as you keep the names to 16 characters, are ok, as long as you don't try to name one "upstairs front bathroom" -- you may have to abbreviate. The same goes for module names, e.g. "Brian's Bedside Light".

SCENES confused me at first. Step one is to name a scene, such as "Dim LVNGRM LGTS". You then have to save it, and click on the settings "gear". Upon hitting that button, the textbox awaits your input to possibly rename the scene. In my case, the keyboard popped up over the add device button leading me to some confusion.
With the help of the manual  (found online), I figured it out. Timers connected to the scenes are limited to increments of minutes only, which may or may not be a detriment.

The unit has the ability to control 32 devices, which is twice that of a standard palmpad, and at this point (pending some firmware/software and maybe hardware updates) has slightly more functionality than a Palmpad/RR501 combination.  The exception being that these 32 devices can span multiple housecodes.

All in all, this device turns your phone or tablet into a nice remote control, and not much else at this time.

As a disclaimer,  I received an early unit to review, which I did not pay for, nor am I being paid for this review in any way.

As functionality  changes with future updates, I will post more.

EDIT/ADDENDUM :

After a couple of days, the timer functionality of this unit is pretty good. It has a dusk/dawn feature and a time offset. i.e. I can turn off the porch light 20 minutes after dawn. It also has a security feature that randomizes the offset to a certain time to give your home a "lived in" look while you are away.

There is a drawback to this. The unit has no battery to keep time. It cannot poll the Internet to get its time, and must be synced from the app, so if you are on vacation and the power goes out, presumably the timers will not function.

« Last Edit: January 20, 2018, 07:46:31 AM by Knightrider »
Remote control is cool,

but automation rules!

Knightrider

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 62
  • I love my WM100!
    • This Automated House
Re: Knightrider's WM100 Review
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2018, 09:19:28 PM »

Remote control is cool.
Automation rules
Remote control is cool,

but automation rules!

HA Dave

• Helpful Post Rating: 175
« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2018, 09:33:43 PM »

...... I had trouble getting the code to scan........ The other drawback is that you need to unplug the device to get to the QR Code when installing on other devices. You may not want to put this unit in the AV closet for this reason.

Take a picture of the QR code with your phone, tablet, or digital camera.... name the picture with it's identity. Then you'll never have to unplug the device to scan the code again.

ROOMS are pretty rudimentary,  and as long as you keep the names to 16 characters, .... -- you may have to abbreviate. 

If using with a Alexa... it may be hard to pronounce "Ltgs" simple easy words are best.

SCENES confused me at first. Step one is to name a scene, such as "Dim LVNGRM LGTS". You then have to save it, and click on the settings "gear". Upon hitting that button, the textbox awaits your input to possibly rename the scene. In my case, the keyboard popped up over the add device button leading me to some confusion.
With the help of the manual  (found online), I figured it out. Timers connected to the scenes are limited to increments of minutes only, which may or may not be a detriment.

Good info. Great review.
Home Automation is an always changing technology

Tuicemen

• Administrator
  • Helpful Post Rating: 282
  • I don't work for X10, I use it successfuly!
« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2018, 06:32:09 AM »

Early units had the QR code on the front as well as the back which made adding phones/tablets easier, but I love Dave's Idea of keeping a pic of the QR code on your PC.
I actually did this during tests so I should have suggested it too. B:(
if you look back to early posts for the AHP software it was very basic to start as well. ;)
Please Read Topic:
General Forum Etiquette
Before you post!

Tuicemen

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2018, 06:53:15 AM »

Initially I had a issue with the shortness of device names so here is a trick.
the app will allow multiple devices with the same name example: lamp D3 & lamp B3
D3 is in your Den  B3 is in your Bedroom.
I suspect when Voice assistance control (Skills) are available you would say "turn on bedroom lamp" and it would turn on that lamp (B3)  ;)
Please Read Topic:
General Forum Etiquette
Before you post!

HA Dave

« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2018, 11:52:31 AM »

Initially I had a issue with the shortness of device names so here is a trick.
the app will allow multiple devices with the same name example: lamp D3 & lamp B3
D3 is in your Den  B3 is in your Bedroom.
I suspect when Voice assistance control (Skills) are available you would say "turn on bedroom lamp" and it would turn on that lamp (B3)  ;)

I've found with my naming of devices that Alexa will look for exact names during discovery. Name a light "B3 Lamp" and that is what Alexa will look for/work with (although she may work OK if you ask for B3 Light... or D3 lamp for that matter). Whereas you can leave off terms like light or lamp.... I don't recommend it...... as I have found single word expressions are best used in Alexa's "routines".

Short solution.... we need MORE than 18 letters for device names. It sounds silly to quarrel about 4 more letters... but a 22 letter device name would really help. 

Tuicemen

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2018, 12:02:40 PM »

Maybe I didn't explain my example properly  B:( you don't name the lamps, Lamp A3 & Lamp B3, just lamp.
Alexa has a had time with numbers but seems to work ok if spelled out.
We can only speculate how the skill will address devices. Once the skill is developed devices can be renamed.
I guess If users feel the character limit be increased for devices, rooms, and or scenes a Poll should be created in the wish list section for that. ;)
Please Read Topic:
General Forum Etiquette
Before you post!

HA Dave

« Reply #7 on: January 18, 2018, 12:07:55 PM »

Maybe I didn't explain my example properly  B:( you don't name the lamps, Lamp A3 & Lamp B3, just lamp.
Alexa has a had time with numbers but seems to work ok if spelled out.
We can only speculate how the skill will address devices. Once the skill is developed devices can be renamed.
I guess If users feel the character limit be increased for devices, rooms, and or scenes a Poll should be created in the wish list section for that. ;)

Yeah.... 22 letters for naming would sure be simpler.

bubbah

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
« Reply #8 on: August 02, 2018, 05:57:44 PM »

Why is the w1Mj9dSV100 only distributed in 3 venues ??

Tuicemen

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: August 02, 2018, 06:53:35 PM »

The WM100 is a relatively new North American Module made for Authinix.
They have ran out of stock  a few times now so until more stock is available I suspect the distributors of it will remain small.
« Last Edit: September 20, 2018, 06:00:52 PM by Tuicemen »
Please Read Topic:
General Forum Etiquette
Before you post!

bubbah

« Reply #10 on: September 20, 2018, 05:51:29 PM »

I can be convinced to be patient if I am certain from the app manager there will be timely improvements ...waiting months might be a tough sell. I so do want the time sync and connection issues to be nailed down so as to give confidence in the  unit's reliability for leaving home.

Tuicemen

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: September 20, 2018, 06:00:31 PM »

I can be convinced to be patient if I am certain from the app manager there will be timely improvements ...waiting months might be a tough sell. I so do want the time sync and connection issues to be nailed down so as to give confidence in the  unit's reliability for leaving home.
Sadly we are all at the mercy of the developer and as it sits now updates and bug fixes don't appear to be getting done very quickly B:(
Please Read Topic:
General Forum Etiquette
Before you post!

bubbah

« Reply #12 on: September 20, 2018, 06:16:25 PM »

Thank you ... I wish it were better news. The sad thing is the insteon hub only controls some x10 devices and left me unhappy. I was so excited with this, but it appears my glee may be premature and unfounded... I hope it will improve so I don't need to return it...

dave w

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 139
« Reply #13 on: September 20, 2018, 08:01:54 PM »

I was so excited with this, but it appears my glee may be premature and unfounded...
Look at some of the earlier threads. We all were excited. And pretty pleased, initially...
"This aftershave makes me look fat"

Noam

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 51
« Reply #14 on: September 20, 2018, 09:23:17 PM »

Look at some of the earlier threads. We all were excited. And pretty pleased, initially...

I was excited by the prospects of what it was *supposed* to be. But I have been disappointed with what it actually is. It is a glorified remote - when it works. My CM15A with X10 commander software running on my PC is worlds better (and I can create custom mobile-web pages for different groups of addresses, including custom "bug button" pages for certain devices).

The hardware supposedly blasts out a stronger signal than the CM15A, but with both of them plugged into my XTB-IIR, I don't think that's really an issue for me. Unfortunately, I think that Authinx has invested way too much time in the overseas developer - with much less to show for it than they should.

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.