Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: WM100 Companion module?  (Read 7721 times)

Tuicemen

• Administrator
  • Helpful Post Rating: 282
  • I don't work for X10, I use it successfuly!
WM100 Companion module?
« on: March 02, 2018, 02:49:20 AM »

I pitched the idea of a companion app first suggested by dhouston in the RF wish list poll thread.
Authinx appears to like that Idea and my proceed creating such a module. :)%
The owner had stated he'd like to add more then just RF to such a companion module.
My initial thought was IR but there are so many possibilities.
I also thought of adding a temperature/humidity sensor.
I'm just wondering if anyone else has ideas for possible additions to RF ::) :'
Please Read Topic:
General Forum Etiquette
Before you post!

JeffVolp

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 122
    • XTB Home Page
Re: WM100 Companion module?
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2018, 03:28:51 AM »

Analog and digital I/O to interface with real-world devices.

Jeff
X-10 automation since the BSR days

dhouston

• Advanced Member
  • Helpful Post Rating: 37
    • davehouston.org
« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2018, 03:44:50 AM »

Analog and digital I/O to interface with real-world devices.

The ESP8266 can do both although its single analog input is limited to 3.3V MAX so you may need a simple resistive voltage divider.
This message was composed entirely from recycled letters of the alphabet using only renewable, caffeinated energy sources.
No twees, wabbits, chimps or whales died in the process.
https://www.laser.com/dhouston

dhouston

• Advanced Member
    • davehouston.org
« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2018, 03:50:49 AM »

You can get an idea of existing hardware that interfaces with the ESP8266 at WeMos.

See the lithium battery interface and various shields. And, using something like the WeMos D1 mini eliminates any high voltage issues.
« Last Edit: March 02, 2018, 04:05:33 AM by dhouston »
This message was composed entirely from recycled letters of the alphabet using only renewable, caffeinated energy sources.

Knightrider

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 62
  • I love my WM100!
    • This Automated House
« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2018, 04:17:17 AM »

Two thoughts.

Let's get it fully compatible with x10 rf first. Both regular signals and security signals (kill the ninja project).

Then make it work with some off the shelf sensors, be it manufactured under the x10 name, or some other.  I like the idea of having digital collectors on it, but that may be a small niche. Water, lux, humidity, and temperature would make nice additions contact switches and PIR.
Remote control is cool,

but automation rules!

dhouston

• Advanced Member
    • davehouston.org
« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2018, 04:34:42 AM »

The owner had stated he'd like to add more then just RF to such a companion module.

The owner should rethink that. Multiple companion modules with limited feature sets would be easier to support and would generate more profits.

JeffVolp

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 122
    • XTB Home Page
« Reply #6 on: March 02, 2018, 04:56:59 AM »

The owner should rethink that. Multiple companion modules with limited feature sets would be easier to support and would generate more profits.

And from prior history, perhaps also delay the introduction for months or years...

Jeff
X-10 automation since the BSR days

dhouston

• Advanced Member
    • davehouston.org
« Reply #7 on: March 02, 2018, 05:22:10 AM »

And from prior history, perhaps also delay the introduction for months or years...

A WeMos D1 mini (you have a couple) with a custom shield that has an RF Receiver that fits an off the shelf enclosure and is powered by a 5V USB type power supply can be designed in an afternoon.

Same for a BME280 based Temperature, Humidity, Pressure Sensor (plus option for Wind Vane and Anemometer). It could have an optional Lithium battery for power (or even be solar powered).
« Last Edit: March 02, 2018, 05:28:37 AM by dhouston »

Tuicemen

• Administrator
  • Helpful Post Rating: 282
  • I don't work for X10, I use it successfuly!
« Reply #8 on: March 02, 2018, 07:53:50 AM »

Two thoughts.

Let's get it fully compatible with x10 rf first. Both regular signals and security signals (kill the ninja project).

Then make it work with some off the shelf sensors, be it manufactured under the x10 name, or some other.  I like the idea of having digital collectors on it, but that may be a small niche. Water, lux, humidity, and temperature would make nice additions contact switches and PIR.
I don't expect a Companion module to be much more then RF if it comes to being. ::) :'
However I would expect it to handle all X10 RF even those rarely used codes.
I hope if something else is added it is something X10 has had experience with in the past which would cut down development time.
Multiple companion modules makes sense  ;)
Create one with the tech they're familiar with first. ::) :'
If they wish to add something to a RF companion module make it something simple.
I don't want to wait another 3-5 years for RF, thought  I do have a way of handling that currently. ;)

Please Read Topic:
General Forum Etiquette
Before you post!

Knightrider

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 62
  • I love my WM100!
    • This Automated House
« Reply #9 on: March 02, 2018, 08:39:20 AM »

Bash WiFi into the powermid for the IR. As long as one app accessed the wm100, and the rf companion and the IR companion AND they all talked to each other, I see good times in automation ahead.
Remote control is cool,

but automation rules!

Mic_

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
« Reply #10 on: March 03, 2018, 02:12:41 AM »

Keeping it simple is a good recipe. We have wifi on the wm100; waited years for it. The next version should, maybe, shoot for wifi and Rf, and so on. A little bite of the apple at a time should get things to us faster?

dhouston

• Advanced Member
    • davehouston.org
« Reply #11 on: March 03, 2018, 02:28:46 AM »

The key for RF will be to add a pass-through function to the WM100.

Then, the WeMos D1 mini is only slightly larger than the ESP-WROOM-02D used in the WM100 and comes in 1MB, 4MB & 16MB models with 11 DIO and 1 analog input so it should be able to handle anything needed.

I suggest:
  • RF companion module (standard & security RF)
  • Low Voltage BME280 Weather Station companion module with Temperature, Humidity, & Barometric Pressure with options for Wind Vane, Anemometer, Rain Gauge, Battery & Solar.
  • RPi3B companion module with battery backed RTC, duplicating AHP functionality with support for CM11A, CM15A & WM100.
I'm not very familiar with the security consoles so I don't know where water sensors fit in the above. I'd opt for a redesigned one that uses the security RF protocol.

The RF companion could be low voltage also but, if added to the SR751, could send the standard and security codes to the WM100 and also send RF to control the Ninja mounts.

« Last Edit: March 03, 2018, 02:46:41 AM by dhouston »

Mic_

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
« Reply #12 on: March 03, 2018, 06:45:19 AM »

It may be possible (down the road) for wm100 to support CM11A? also, to duplicate AHP (active Home Pro) functions? This would then truly be X10 3.0, after wifi addition, X10 2.0

Is VA 12A a different animal from CMA? in what way?

HA Dave

• Helpful Post Rating: 175
« Reply #13 on: March 03, 2018, 07:40:53 AM »

It may be possible (down the road) for wm100 to support CM11A?

I own a CM11A.... I can't imagine why anyone would want use one. I think the WM100 could easily replace the old CM11A's.

Is VA 12A a different animal from CMA? in what way?

VA12A..... (Pc-Video USB, X10 Camera Adaptor).

Sorry..... but the 4-8 camera stand-alone units are such a great improvement over the old(er) stuff... I wouldn't bother with obsolete equipment. As a matter of fact... even the new phone accessible stuff is outdated by the newer ring units. And the latest-greatest stuff is using face recognition. So family members and welcome guests are logged... but also ignored. Whereas unknown or unexpected entry triggers alarms, emailed snapshot and records video to the cloud.     
Home Automation is an always changing technology

HA Dave

• Helpful Post Rating: 175
« Reply #14 on: March 03, 2018, 07:51:47 AM »

Bash WiFi into the powermid for the IR. As long as one app accessed the wm100, and the rf companion and the IR companion AND they all talked to each other, I see good times in automation ahead.

I love dhouston's idea of a companion module. And I love the idea of mixing in RF with the companion module too!

Being able to add in a security sensor (door-window and/or motion) to a HA setup is pretty awesome and handy. IR is really frosting on the cake. Such a add-on module/device.... would be a must have.
Home Automation is an always changing technology
Pages: [1] 2

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.