Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 11

Author Topic: Any software of firmware updates scheduled?  (Read 24541 times)

dhouston

• Advanced Member
  • Helpful Post Rating: 37
    • davehouston.org
Re: Any software of firmware updates scheduled?
« Reply #75 on: September 12, 2018, 09:24:36 PM »

I imagine a single board computer coupled with an improved CM15 would give the user more bang for their buck.

Tuicemen has created a demo of an SBC/CM15A but the one advantage of the WM100 is its much higher PLC output (about 6x the CM15A). That's why I've suggested replacing the WM100 MCU/WiFi/RAM daughterboard with a $10 Raspberry Pi Zero W. 
« Last Edit: September 13, 2018, 06:49:17 AM by dhouston »
This message was composed entirely from recycled letters of the alphabet using only renewable, caffeinated energy sources.
No twees, wabbits, chimps or whales died in the process.
https://www.laser.com/dhouston

Tuicemen

• Administrator
  • Helpful Post Rating: 282
  • I don't work for X10, I use it successfuly!
« Reply #76 on: September 13, 2018, 08:20:23 AM »

I imagine a single board computer coupled with an improved CM15 would give the user more bang for their buck.
This was my original thinking behind my PI ZeroW/CM15 mod. ;)

That's why I've suggested replacing the WM100 MCU/WiFi/RAM daughterboard with a $10 Raspberry Pi Zero W. 
I'd not thought of that mainly because the proto type WM I had on had was packed tight. the newer daughter board ismuch smaller and the main board is also layed out differently now.
This allows for a Pi ZerroW board to easily fit inside the WM with space to spare.

The MW Wi-FI daughter board will easily come off the main board and the zero would fit exactly where the current wi-fi daughter board is. ;)
It may even be possible to use the WM connecting pins to connect the Zero to the main board. ::) :'
Please Read Topic:
General Forum Etiquette
Before you post!

petera

• PI Expert
  • Helpful Post Rating: 27
« Reply #77 on: September 13, 2018, 09:36:39 AM »

Tuicemen has created a demo of an SBC/CM15A but the one advantage of the WM100 is its much higher PLC output (about 6x the CM15A). That's why I've suggested replacing the WM100 MCU/WiFi/RAM daughterboard with a $10 Raspberry Pi Zero W.

Created something similar a while back using the CM15 Pro UL (European version of the CM15) which is running X10 on Home Assistant with many other elements of home automation. It appears to be far more functional than the WM100 with little or no imagination or effort required to come up with the idea.

With reports of the CM15 lacking power on the PL for transmission of X10 codes I assume the circuitry design on the CM15 Pro UL was improved at some stage. I've little or no noise on the PL and reaction times are at 0.5sec.

Surely Authinx could have researched the possibikity of improving the CM15 design and functionality instead of going to the time and expense of designing and manufacturing the WM100 only to find they are now struggling with this product.

Tuicemen

• Administrator
« Reply #78 on: September 13, 2018, 11:05:31 AM »

Surely Authinx could have researched the possibikity of improving the CM15 design and functionality instead of going to the time and expense of designing and manufacturing the WM100 only to find they are now struggling with this product.
At the time the CM15A and AHP appeared as though a simple software revamp would be possible to solve most issues.
The factory has no idea of the inner workings of the CM15 so the WM100 I believe was designed as a way to get simple Wi-Fi access.
The original wi-fi chip allowed this but just as Authinx was about to go into production that chip was discontinued. The new chip allowed more options and it was about this time the realization of a AHP revamp was impossible (due to missing code bits and obsolete drivers) was driven home.
Software was ready for the original design after going through several developers however it needed to be rebuilt to work with the new chip. A new developer again was required as the original ones no longer were available. ::) :'  I'm not sure if this current developer is the one they got  but I suspect it is given the slow development of the software and that they have control of the protocol. Attached shows the evolution of the layouts 4 being current version 1 being the old chip design.
Please Read Topic:
General Forum Etiquette
Before you post!

JeffVolp

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 121
    • XTB Home Page
« Reply #79 on: September 13, 2018, 11:24:20 AM »

Attached shows the evolution of the layouts 4 being current version 1 being the old chip design.

The one I have appears to be your version 3 (photo lower left) except the PCB label says PCB0148H, not EBS.

Jeff
X-10 automation since the BSR days

Tuicemen

• Administrator
« Reply #80 on: September 13, 2018, 11:53:22 AM »

Yes I believe my # 3 board was the pre-release of the first run My first run version is in use at the off grid place so I wasn't able to add it into the group. #4 is the replacement I got for my bricked unit (#3) I'll pop the daughter board out and open my moded CM15 to get a better comparison of the ZeroW and it.
Please Read Topic:
General Forum Etiquette
Before you post!

petera

• PI Expert
« Reply #81 on: September 13, 2018, 04:00:18 PM »

Yes I believe my # 3 board was the pre-release of the first run My first run version is in use at the off grid place so I wasn't able to add it into the group. #4 is the replacement I got for my bricked unit (#3) I'll pop the daughter board out and open my moded CM15 to get a better comparison of the ZeroW and it.

I'm assuming that from the fact that you have pre production versions that you have the ear of the developer. I'm also assuming that from what you are saying that you have passed on your reservations to the developer and they are suffering from selective deafness. Clearly they haven't been listening to you or reading the commentary on the forum.

Either way the WM100 does not sound like the answer to X10 in the 120 volt world.

Tuicemen

• Administrator
« Reply #82 on: September 13, 2018, 05:03:19 PM »

I'm assuming that from the fact that you have pre production versions that you have the ear of the developer. I'm also assuming that from what you are saying that you have passed on your reservations to the developer and they are suffering from selective deafness. Clearly they haven't been listening to you or reading the commentary on the forum.

Either way the WM100 does not sound like the answer to X10 in the 120 volt world.

I wish I had the ear of the developer directly :' ::)
My suggestions and Ideas as well as those of forum users get passed on  to the developer and factory through Authinx.
Obviously the developer doesn't like being told how to do things or there is a definite miss understanding.
As others have stated the WM100 hardware is solid. The issue is the software/firmware side.
I managed to pry open my CM15/zero ase to directly compare the zero and wi-fi daughter board of the WM100.
sadly the Zero appears to be a bit to wide to fit where the daughter board was with out modifying it or the WM :(.
I had hoped they were the same width.
Attached shows the two side by side with the daughter board pulled revealing the under side exposing the pin descriptions ;)
Please Read Topic:
General Forum Etiquette
Before you post!

petera

• PI Expert
« Reply #83 on: September 13, 2018, 05:30:34 PM »

I wish I had the ear of the developer directly :' ::)
My suggestions and Ideas as well as those of forum users get passed on  to the developer and factory through Authinx.
Obviously the developer doesn't like being told how to do things or there is a definite miss understanding.
As others have stated the WM100 hardware is solid. The issue is the software/firmware side.
I managed to pry open my CM15/zero ase to directly compare the zero and wi-fi daughter board of the WM100.
sadly the Zero appears to be a bit to wide to fit where the daughter board was with out modifying it or the WM :(.
Attached shows the two side by side with the daughter board pulled revealing the under side exposing the pin descriptions ;)

If I was you I wouldn't get too caught up on the casing. I'd simply mount the Zero on bottom of the casing, fabricate a plexiglas holder giving you maximum access to the GPIO pins for use at a later stage

If as I suspect Authinx dismiss your idea you always have the mod available to current and future WM100 owners should they choose to go that route. They can then decide what platform they require to run it on.

JeffVolp

• Community Organizer
    • XTB Home Page
« Reply #84 on: September 13, 2018, 05:36:55 PM »

If this could be a substitute controller board for the WM100, the volume could be substantial.  I wonder if an agreement could be worked out between Authinx and the Raspberry developer to offer a version with the correct form factor and interface so it could be a plug-in replacement?

Jeff

Tuicemen

• Administrator
« Reply #85 on: September 13, 2018, 06:04:11 PM »

If I was you I wouldn't get too caught up on the casing. I'd simply mount the Zero on bottom of the casing, fabricate a plexiglas holder giving you maximum access to the GPIO pins for use at a later stage

If as I suspect Authinx dismiss your idea you always have the mod available to current and future WM100 owners should they choose to go that route. They can then decide what platform they require to run it on.
I've not got a mod for the WM100 that would require more knowledge and expertise then I have. It will take a community effort to develop that.
A SBC inside a WM100 was pitched to Authinx for a Pro version which I believe the factory shot down, :( for reasons I wasn't told. I've not yet heard many details of what is/was planed for a Pro version.
In my opinion it isn't looking much like a pro version but I've been wrong before.
Current issues with the WM100 software may put all that on hold.

The zero W in the CM15A doesn't limit exposure to the GPIO pins I can still access them by sliding/removing the battery cover.
Also Authinx hasn't totally dismissed the idea of a SBC inside a CM15 though I wouldn't hold your breath for it. ::) :'
I'm still working on the SBC options and connections for the CM15, I also want a cleaner look then my proof of concept.

Please Read Topic:
General Forum Etiquette
Before you post!

Tuicemen

• Administrator
« Reply #86 on: September 13, 2018, 06:15:46 PM »

If this could be a substitute controller board for the WM100, the volume could be substantial.  I wonder if an agreement could be worked out between Authinx and the Raspberry developer to offer a version with the correct form factor and interface so it could be a plug-in replacement?

Jeff
That certainly may be possible. Authinx could sell it separately as an enhancement board. Either to the current WM or the Pro versions expanding options substantially. This would require modifying the case by the end user however, unless Authinx included that portion of the case with the upgrade board.
Please Read Topic:
General Forum Etiquette
Before you post!

JeffVolp

• Community Organizer
    • XTB Home Page
« Reply #87 on: September 13, 2018, 07:11:06 PM »

[This would require modifying the case by the end user however, unless Authinx included that portion of the case with the upgrade board.

I was thinking about a module that would be repackaged so it would be a plug-in replacement for the current daughter board, and manufactured by Raspberry.  That would take the current WM100 manufacturer out of the picture.

Jeff

Tuicemen

• Administrator
« Reply #88 on: September 13, 2018, 07:18:17 PM »

I'm a bit confused  :o Raspberry to make just a new daughter board, or the whole new X10 module?
Please Read Topic:
General Forum Etiquette
Before you post!

petera

• PI Expert
« Reply #89 on: September 13, 2018, 08:26:31 PM »

I've not got a mod for the WM100 that would require more knowledge and expertise then I have. It will take a community effort to develop that.
A SBC inside a WM100 was pitched to Authinx for a Pro version which I believe the factory shot down, :( for reasons I wasn't told. I've not yet heard many details of what is/was planed for a Pro version.
In my opinion it isn't looking much like a pro version but I've been wrong before.
Current issues with the WM100 software may put all that on hold.

The zero W in the CM15A doesn't limit exposure to the GPIO pins I can still access them by sliding/removing the battery cover.
Also Authinx hasn't totally dismissed the idea of a SBC inside a CM15 though I wouldn't hold your breath for it. ::) :'
I'm still working on the SBC options and connections for the CM15, I also want a cleaner look then my proof of concept.

This could be an ideal DIY mod project for members on the forum. Either using the CM15 or the WM100 it would be interesting to see what members could come up with by incorporating their SBC with an X10 controller and report back on the results.

There's no doubt that X10 Is fast becoming a niche product and this fact may preclude any potential developer from investing any further resources into this area. This is where DIYers come into their own.

All of my lighting and many of my appliances are still controlled via X10 and will remain so while I can still integrate them into the bigger home automation picture. I have yet to meet a hurdle I cannot jump over using X10.
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 11

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.