Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5

Author Topic: eBay is pissing me off <semi rant>  (Read 9888 times)

BackAgain

• Helpful Post Rating: 1
Re: eBay is pissing me off <semi rant>
« Reply #45 on: June 07, 2018, 05:31:40 AM »

Yeah, something like that.  Hs look like Ms don't they?

petera

• PI Expert
  • Helpful Post Rating: 27
« Reply #46 on: June 07, 2018, 11:13:59 AM »

Built in obsolescence is the standard manufacturing mantra now. Labour costs have risen so high manufacturers neither want nor encourage repair. Lean manufacturing systems does not allow for it and additional logistics involved in return, repair and return makes no sense to them. One less process involved. It is cheaper to replace a complete unit than repair it. It's the pull and push process world we live in now.

BackAgain

« Reply #47 on: June 07, 2018, 01:17:34 PM »

It is cheaper to replace a complete unit than repair it. It's the pull and push process world we live in now.

Why does a replacement set of printer ink cartridges cost as much or more than a new printer with ink cartridges?

bkenobi

• PI Expert
  • Helpful Post Rating: 24
« Reply #48 on: June 07, 2018, 01:39:45 PM »

I've purchased new printers because the ink was too expensive in the past.  The funny thing is, I sold the printer without ink (after using the OEM cartridges) for the same price I paid for the printer.  Yeah, disposable printers is a silly concept.

dhouston

• Advanced Member
  • Helpful Post Rating: 37
    • davehouston.org
This message was composed entirely from recycled letters of the alphabet using only renewable, caffeinated energy sources.
No twees, wabbits, chimps or whales died in the process.
https://www.laser.com/dhouston

bkenobi

• PI Expert
« Reply #50 on: June 09, 2018, 11:13:02 AM »

I just get aftermarket HP cartridges now.  The official ones cost around $30 whereas I pay around $3 for the ones I use.  The printer I have is a bit unique in that the print heads are in a separate removable module so the ink os fairly cheap. On the other hand, I don't use enough ink so the print heads have been replaced 2x.  Those are $75 each x2 from the store and remanufactured don't seem to work.

dhouston

• Advanced Member
  • Helpful Post Rating: 37
    • davehouston.org
« Reply #51 on: June 09, 2018, 01:28:27 PM »

On the other hand, I don't use enough ink so the print heads have been replaced 2x.
That's why I gave up on inkjets and went to the inexpensive laser I linked above. I've had it for a couple of years and am very happy with it. Way back in the mid-80s, I paid $3000 for an early B&W laser.
This message was composed entirely from recycled letters of the alphabet using only renewable, caffeinated energy sources.
No twees, wabbits, chimps or whales died in the process.
https://www.laser.com/dhouston

bkenobi

• PI Expert
« Reply #52 on: June 10, 2018, 07:49:53 AM »

Next time this one has an issue, I'm either going with a laser or nothing at all.  I got an AIO because the SO said it had to have a fax and scanner...which never get used since we don't even have a phone line anymore.

HA Dave

• Helpful Post Rating: 175
« Reply #53 on: June 10, 2018, 01:09:24 PM »

….. the SO said it had to have a fax and scanner...which never get used since we don't even have a phone line anymore.

I am also NOT a fan of little home ink jets. But I set mine up fully wifi… so the scanner can create images or PDF's from a scan. Which is then sent right to my mobile phone.
Home Automation is an always changing technology

BackAgain

« Reply #54 on: June 10, 2018, 01:24:53 PM »

But to get back on subject, sort of, why is it when I search there for my type of ink cartridges, I get 50 real ones for near market prices and a bazillion 'compatibles' for a couple of bucks each?  Do people really trust those?  Really?  A 24 pack of six cartridges of each color for a whopping $15 for the whole bunch?

Is this what people have come to expect from there?

HA Dave

« Reply #55 on: June 10, 2018, 02:03:01 PM »

Yes. And Craigslist has also declined. Both..... as social media "Markets" are blooming... and are more localized for many items.

brobin

• Helpful Post Rating: 157
« Reply #56 on: June 10, 2018, 03:00:43 PM »

But to get back on subject, sort of, why is it when I search there for my type of ink cartridges, I get 50 real ones for near market prices and a bazillion 'compatibles' for a couple of bucks each?  Do people really trust those?  Really?  A 24 pack of six cartridges of each color for a whopping $15 for the whole bunch?

Really, I do trust those - at least a few brands anyway.  I have both a B&W multi-function and a color Brother laser printers as well as a Brother inkjet and have had absolutely no problems with "V4Ink" and "Miroo" brand toner & "EZ Ink" ink cartridges from Amazon. They're dirt cheap, work as well as the genuine Brother ones and don't leak or cause clogging.  All my printers are at least 4 years old (the B&W one is 7!) and there's been no adverse effects.  I use the V4Ink drums too when needed.  It's not that the 'compatibles' are so cheap, it's that the OEM branded ones are so expensive! The compatibles are being sold at a profit and, at least for the three brands I mentioned, deliver an excellent product.  I don't believe that Brother or any other OEM has magic formulas or uses higher cost ingredients that can justify their high prices.  They're just using the Gillette sales mantra of, "Give away the razors to sell the blades."
I prefer buying on Amazon instead of ebay as it's easier to return things and I'm a sucker for free one or two-day delivery.

bkenobi

• PI Expert
« Reply #57 on: June 11, 2018, 06:56:49 AM »

I use HP88 cartridges which are just a reservoir and a stupid chip designed to disallow refilling.  They can easily be refilled but I don't want to deal with the chip or potential leaks.  So, I get them for around $3/ea shipped and let someone else deal with the mess.  I figure it would cost around $1-2 for ink and $50 for the chip tool so it's no big deal to get them this way.  I have not been getting any name brand versions, just whoever is the lowest price and close to me in the US.  I've had no issues.

I suppose it's possible that the ink isn't as good as the original and that's what led to print head faults...but I doubt it.  Ink is pretty much ink despite what the OEM's tell us.  They have even shifted their practices recently (Epson's 2 year ink tank models).  They are getting killed by sticking to their old tactics, so they will have to adapt.

dave w

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 139
« Reply #58 on: June 11, 2018, 03:46:54 PM »

Way back in the mid-80s, I paid $3000 for an early B&W laser.
Been there, done that.
"This aftershave makes me look fat"

HA Dave

« Reply #59 on: June 11, 2018, 07:13:34 PM »

……. Way back in the mid-80s, I paid $3000 for an early B&W laser.

Been there, done that.

Back in the mid-80's I once paid $35 for lap-dance.... and still feel like I over-paid. You guys make me feel frugal. 
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.