Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: New Unexpected Noise Source  (Read 2193 times)

dhouston

• Advanced Member
  • Helpful Post Rating: 37
    • davehouston.org
New Unexpected Noise Source
« on: May 16, 2018, 01:20:36 PM »

Starting about two weeks ago, I'm seeing strong noise (2-3Vpp on ESM1) in one room. It's coming from my Vizio SmarTV - almost certainly from its power supply. It's not a major problem as there's only one X10 controlled lamp in the room and the noise doesn't reach the rest of my apartment (on opposite phase?). As long as I remember to turn on the lamp before the TV and turn off the TV before the lamp all is well.

However, I do wonder what it might mean for the life of my TV which is, IIRC, about 5 years old and is, so far, exhibiting no performance issues.
This message was composed entirely from recycled letters of the alphabet using only renewable, caffeinated energy sources.
No twees, wabbits, chimps or whales died in the process.
https://www.laser.com/dhouston

bkenobi

• PI Expert
  • Helpful Post Rating: 24
Re: New Unexpected Noise Source
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2018, 01:37:20 PM »

I suspect a shorter *usable* life if it messes up the rest of your X10 setup.

dhouston

• Advanced Member
    • davehouston.org
« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2018, 01:47:36 PM »

I suspect a shorter *usable* life if it messes up the rest of your X10 setup.
A filter can probably deal with that aspect.
This message was composed entirely from recycled letters of the alphabet using only renewable, caffeinated energy sources.

HA Dave

• Helpful Post Rating: 175
« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2018, 03:24:50 PM »

..... I'm seeing strong noise (2-3Vpp on ESM1) in one room. It's coming from my Vizio SmarTV - almost certainly from its power supply................ I do wonder what it might mean for the life of my TV which is, IIRC, about 5 years old and is, so far, exhibiting no performance issues.

I wonder. I remember reading here on this very forum.... maybe 5-6 years ago of some one who tracked down a noise to a loose coax fitting.
« Last Edit: May 16, 2018, 03:28:11 PM by HA Dave »
Home Automation is an always changing technology

dhouston

• Advanced Member
    • davehouston.org
« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2018, 03:47:20 PM »

There's no coax involved. I cut the cord years ago.

HA Dave

• Helpful Post Rating: 175
« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2018, 11:16:33 PM »

There's no coax involved.

Bummer.... I am happy with my Vizio.... but it's basic... (no smarts).

I cut the cord years ago.

You're a trailblazer. I've considered doing the same. I just recently ported my phone to a much cheaper alternate vendor (and dropped the cable company phone). I've streamed content for a few years.... but (also just recently) added Netflix as a content provider.

AND..... I added a digital antenna. Even though it's an indoor antenna... I get a solid 20 channels.

But still.... I hesitate to cut the cable provided content.
Home Automation is an always changing technology

dhouston

• Advanced Member
    • davehouston.org
« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2018, 10:37:12 AM »

On Topic: The lamp is controlled by a Smartlabs LampLinc V2 #2456D3. When the TV is on the LampLinc LED flickers constantly. That indicates the noise has a 120kHz component. The 50" TV only draws 75W so my educated guess is the TV has a switchmode power supply and the line capacitor which normally blocks any noise from reaching the powerline has failed. Plugging the TV into a filter should fix things as long as there are no other problems with the TV. There is an RR501 in the same outlet as the LampLinc so I was surprised that the noise could still overwhelm it. If I can find it, I'll use the homemade filter shown at...https://www.laser.com/dhouston/noise.html

Off Topic: I don't watch a lot of TV. My indoor antenna gets about 25 stations which encompass the major networks and PBS. I've been an Amazon customer for 20 years and joined Prime about 10 years ago. I used Netflix on & off during the past 10 years. My landline uses magicJack ($35/yr) and for the rare times I'm out in the world I still have a flip-phone with a legacy T-Mobile account that costs me about $20/yr. I don't use the TV's smarts finding their menus hard to navigate. Instead, I have a small Lenovo Q190 running W10 and use Firefox for streaming. My wireless KB/Mousepad are easier to handle than the TV remote.

dhouston

• Advanced Member
    • davehouston.org
« Reply #7 on: May 17, 2018, 04:56:13 PM »

That indicates the noise has a 120kHz component.
Further evidence of this: With the lamp and TV on, I sent an Off with a Palmpad. The lamp stayed on but as soon as I turned the TV off, the lamp went off. The RR501 politely waits for a clear powerline before transmitting.

BackAgain

• Helpful Post Rating: 1
« Reply #8 on: May 18, 2018, 08:33:15 PM »

The 50" TV only draws 75W

That's one of the reasons I turned my TV and all associated equipment OFF over three years ago.  The power savings have been quite noticeable.

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.