Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15] 16 17

Author Topic: Different platforms for X10 on the Raspberry Pi  (Read 38365 times)

mike

• Helpful Post Rating: 14
Re: Different platforms for X10 on the Raspberry Pi
« Reply #210 on: September 28, 2018, 10:30:32 AM »

my typo Brian.  Same plan here.  frontier speed tests show we typically actually get 1.8mb/s & 350 up.  I meant crazy slow 10kb/s

petera

• PI Expert
  • Helpful Post Rating: 27
« Reply #211 on: September 28, 2018, 12:57:44 PM »

I am on a Frontier DSL that was dumped {SOLD} by AT&T here in CT.
I am 3mb/s down and 0.512mb/s up.

If I didn't have a grandfathered Comcast TV only Local Basic plan and getting my HD DTA units free and giving them an excuse to start charging for the interfaces. I would be on a Comcast internet plan myself.

I must be travelling at light speed so. I'm experimenting with a 1gb/s connection using the Raspberry Pi 3+ gigabit connection. Impressive results.

mike

« Reply #212 on: September 28, 2018, 02:41:38 PM »

Here I go again!  since some stuff did not work on the full install, and since this morning it booted into 10 lines of failed and crap, I just flashed another new card and am going thru the whole install again.    gosh what a waste of time!

now it wont connect to my network again (:

I am beginning to think I should just sell my Pi zero W cards on ebay and get the heck out of them.

ok, since I not using my passphrase but my actual 26bit security hex code, it did not like non caps for the letters...     it is downloading again.  Hope this time it will complete without all the failures...   
« Last Edit: September 28, 2018, 02:48:07 PM by mike »

petera

• PI Expert
« Reply #213 on: September 28, 2018, 06:32:45 PM »

Here I go again!  since some stuff did not work on the full install, and since this morning it booted into 10 lines of failed and crap, I just flashed another new card and am going thru the whole install again.    gosh what a waste of time!

now it wont connect to my network again (:

I am beginning to think I should just sell my Pi zero W cards on ebay and get the heck out of them.

ok, since I not using my passphrase but my actual 26bit security hex code, it did not like non caps for the letters...     it is downloading again.  Hope this time it will complete without all the failures...

I thought you had taken an image of the working Raspbian install that actually worked with wireless. Surely a reimage would have resolved this.

Could you paste a copy of what you refer to as failed crap. I mentioned earlier a number of reasons why this may be happening.

mike

« Reply #214 on: September 28, 2018, 08:21:15 PM »

i did make an image.  I did write it to another sd card.  it too came up with the 10  lines of failure crap.  So gave up and wrote another fresh image of stretcher with Gui.  It started fine, connected to network fine, went to update and said nope can't do - told me to write down a command line, which I did, and try running that at a later date...  I will try it tomorrow.

So decided to make sure chromium browser worked, and went to a couple sites, so it does work.  So quit for the day. 

guess I need to do this update pksomething -a  command tomorrow and see if it goes.  if it does, and updates stuff, then I need to reboot once to verify it is good before making an image...

petera

• PI Expert
« Reply #215 on: September 29, 2018, 06:00:05 AM »

i did make an image.  I did write it to another sd card.  it too came up with the 10  lines of failure crap.  So gave up and wrote another fresh image of stretcher with Gui.  It started fine, connected to network fine, went to update and said nope can't do - told me to write down a command line, which I did, and try running that at a later date...  I will try it tomorrow.

So decided to make sure chromium browser worked, and went to a couple sites, so it does work.  So quit for the day. 

guess I need to do this update pksomething -a  command tomorrow and see if it goes.  if it does, and updates stuff, then I need to reboot once to verify it is good before making an image...

Just so I'm clear you have achieved the following

1. Downloaded and imaged a copy of Raspbian Stretch Desktop GUI
2. Powered up the Pi Zero successfully and it's booting to the Pixel GUI
3. Connected successfully to your wireless router

Assuming you have managed the above I strongly suggest you do your first major update via a high speed broadband connection. A lot of large packages will need to be updated on first run. In some cases up to 400mb.

When doing your first run update use the following commands

sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get upgrade
sudo apt-get dist-upgrade

This will ensure you have the latest version of every package and the corresponding repositories plus the latest firmware version for the Pi Zero.

If the update process struggles in some cases some packages may be held back for update and may lead to dependencies issues.

If you have broken packages or unmet dependencies run this command from Terminal

sudo apt-get -f install

This should resolve any broken packages or unmet dependencies

NB Could you report back on each stage of the process and as soon as you encounter any errors at any stage could you paste the errors before proceeding to the next step.
« Last Edit: September 29, 2018, 06:24:06 AM by petera »

mike

« Reply #216 on: September 29, 2018, 08:22:48 AM »

Petera, you got it right.

Thanks for offer;  I will stop on errror and report in here before proceeding.

mike

« Reply #217 on: September 29, 2018, 11:05:27 AM »

interesting...   left it on overnight with chromium browser open.  Came in just now and decided to make sure it would restart since that was failure mode last times...    clicked reboot on menu and it began, raspberry in top left of screen, then 3 dots in center, went thru each dot over 10 seconds ...  then blank screen for 5 seconds... then...   raspberry in top left again and repeated this sequence over and over until I pulled 5v.  reboot after power removed worked...  wonder if the reboot not working is typical of pi?

mike

« Reply #218 on: September 29, 2018, 11:14:07 AM »

the command it had left me to run later for updating was

dpkg --configure -a

needed sudo in front;  it is running...   lots of 'processing triggers for...' stuff, some 'already exists' stuff...

going to leave it to itself for a while, looks like it will be a while.

mike

« Reply #219 on: September 29, 2018, 02:20:54 PM »

"When doing your first run update use the following commands

sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get upgrade
sudo apt-get dist-upgrade"

So did get update;  completed said done no faults

did get upgrade, took so long I left for a couple hours. Came back to dead pi.  cycled power and it is back on - no clue if it upgraded stuff but at least it boot back up!

next typed sudo apt-get dist-upgrade
PROBLEM:  came right back with "E: dpkg was interupted, you must manually run 'sudo dpkg --configure -a' to correct the problem.

Since it at least boots I will await your suggestion what to do next.  Meanwhile I will at least make an image of this as it appears to be working.

thought I would try SSH into it:  connection refused.  It does show up on my network but no SSH again.   I think I saw that can turn on off in raspi-config so will look for it there... while typing this in to terminal it took to rebooting itself...  have rasberry stuck in top left corner now, flashing "-" under it...  after 2 minutes of this it started to load stuff - first line RED FAULT:  something about file system...   then it rebooted again...   now it is stuck rebooting over and over again...   I did nothing!  black screen to rasberry to 3 dots, wh30 sec after 3rd dot lites it reboots and repeats.  I did nothing~!

so 10 constant reboots like this over 30 minutes and the GUI comes up! 

« Last Edit: September 29, 2018, 02:39:49 PM by mike »

mike

« Reply #220 on: September 29, 2018, 02:52:32 PM »

so since it booted I thought I would type in terminal

sudo apt-get install libusb-1.0-0-dev

and install mochad...  well it won't take - says problems, have to run

sudo dpkg --config -a     

to continue...    so I did...  I was going to copy and paste results here of all the ERROR reports on each package it checked... but cannot as it rebooted instead.  4 reboots by itself...   then GUI came up again...   

I think that command

sudo apt-get upgrade

breaks me every time I run it?

I think I will skip it and try to get the

sudo dpkg --config -a   to run successfully.  If so then I think I should NOT type the upgrade one?

mike

« Reply #221 on: September 29, 2018, 03:00:32 PM »

I see...    this dpkg --configure -a finally ran thru without a reboot:

sheet!  I was about to copy all the dependency faults and it reboot again.     dam.  I am thinking this is a interative process...  each time dpkg --configure -a is run it fiex or blocks off some pkg and so next time thru it does not fault on that pkg again but just makes that pkg not work since this time the command ended without a reboot.  the reboot happened 30 seconds later...    it is in the midst of the dozen reboots now;  I am hoping it will finally reboot into GUI again like in past after enough reboots...   probably 1 reboot per broken pkg?

It is indeed that dam apt-get upgrade that broke my system - the failures listed are all about versions required vs what is on the system not matching...

How do I recover from this last BS?

mike

« Reply #222 on: September 29, 2018, 04:15:07 PM »

so went and blew leaves and used my walnut picker upper football roller to pick up a few hundred  black walnuts out of the drive and came back...   I was able to copy and past the upgrade crap into a file I named 'upgrade faults' and place it in a folder called public...   but I cannot get to that directory from SSH on my windows computer to post it here...  I know it is under home/pi/public but I cannot figure how to use CD to open that folder yet...

ahhhh... public is Public - caps is important in linux...

So here is the file and where I stand now.  What would you recommend next?

PS:  It actually rebooted!  should I make my image now or wait for fixing more of the mismatch stuff?
« Last Edit: September 29, 2018, 04:25:21 PM by mike »

petera

• PI Expert
« Reply #223 on: September 29, 2018, 07:29:46 PM »

You have it now.

Your Raspberry Pi boot loader was corrupted so "magically" the update managed to remove the corrupted files and overlaid a good version of the boot loader.

You should now be able to reboot your Raspberry Pi Zero straight to the Pixel GUI. Once you've confirmed this write an image of that card to one of your hardisks so you have a working vanilla version of Raspbian Stretch Desktop and you can experiment away with your Raspberry Pi knowing that should you mess up you can just reimage the card unattended while you're blowing more leaves  :)%

petera

• PI Expert
« Reply #224 on: September 29, 2018, 07:34:48 PM »

@mike this is purely for reference to give you an idea what was happening to you http://stevenhickson.blogspot.com/2013/04/how-to-fix-raspberry-pi-boot-problems.html?m=1
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15] 16 17

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.