Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5

Author Topic: Comments on Pi newbie HA-Bridge Guide  (Read 13716 times)

Tuicemen

• Administrator
  • Helpful Post Rating: 282
  • I don't work for X10, I use it successfuly!
Re: Comments on Pi newbie HA-Bridge Guide
« Reply #15 on: August 19, 2018, 03:10:45 PM »

I tried Tuicemen's install script and it's 100% successful on install so your bridge software must be installed.

That's great. So explain to me... how that helps me... or any other non-pi user to get his/her X10 talking to Alexa using the setup directions posted here? If I follow the same directions.... do you now think I might get different results?

I could be wrong.... but I think you keep flipping back to fixing the install on my Pi. But that isn't what I am doing here. The number of Pi Experts, or users, or programmers..... is very limited. I am hoping for a setup that X10 users can muddle through on a Saturday morning. And then have Alexa enabled lights and such.... without scraping their entire X10 setup... and switching to something else they can setup.
I think petra is implying we need to see why your Bridge isn't loading.
From a terminal window type
Code: [Select]
sudo systemctl status ha-bridge then hit enter, this should tell us at least if it is running or failed and maybe point to some clues.
Please Read Topic:
General Forum Etiquette
Before you post!

petera

• PI Expert
  • Helpful Post Rating: 27
« Reply #16 on: August 19, 2018, 03:56:50 PM »

I tried Tuicemen's install script and it's 100% successful on install so your bridge software must be installed.

That's great. So explain to me... how that helps me... or any other non-pi user to get his/her X10 talking to Alexa using the setup directions posted here? If I follow the same directions.... do you now think I might get different results?

I could be wrong.... but I think you keep flipping back to fixing the install on my Pi. But that isn't what I am doing here. The number of Pi Experts, or users, or programmers..... is very limited. I am hoping for a setup that X10 users can muddle through on a Saturday morning. And then have Alexa enabled lights and such.... without scraping their entire X10 setup... and switching to something else they can setup.

Ok. Just so I'm understanding what you're trying to achieve here for both yourself and others with basic Raspberry Pi experience

1) A working version of Home Genie on the Raspberry Pi which you are comfortable configuring X10 devices etc on (I think you have achieved that so far)

2) Installing the HA Bridge software that will allow you to have Home Genie interact with Alexa and allow you to control the X10 devices you have configured in Home Genie using Alexa voice control
(If you've followed Tuicemen's install script exactly as posted you should have that now)

3) Configuring the HABridge so you can point it in the direction of the Home Genie X10 devices
(This should now be possible by typing the ip address of your Raspberry Pi into the address bar of the browser to launch the HA Bridge configuration utility)

I think that's as easy as it can be made at this stage. If you can achieve up to and including stage 3) you're ready to configure your Home Genie X10 devices in HA Bridge so you can have Alexa control over them.

It would be nice to see some other less experienced users try Tuicemen's install instructions to achieve this goal as I think he has made it very achievable for the average user.

HA Dave

• Helpful Post Rating: 175
« Reply #17 on: August 19, 2018, 04:27:04 PM »

...… I think that's as easy as it can be made at this stage.

Well thank you very much for your help and efforts.
Home Automation is an always changing technology

HA Dave

« Reply #18 on: August 19, 2018, 04:40:12 PM »

….. I think petra is implying we need to see why your Bridge isn't loading.

Maybe your right. But I certainly got the impression that some people think of X10 running on a Pi as merely "one-offs" as a "hobby setup". And I'd believe that... if it wasn't for the HomeSeer Hometroller (a pi unit) that been has running my home and using Alexa for months.

From a terminal window type
Code: [Select]
sudo systemctl status ha-bridge then hit enter, this should tell us at least if it is running or failed and maybe point to some clues.

I'd tried that and no bridge was found.

However.... After re-nstalling (again) from NOOBS..... and then running your ha-bridge (single link install) first. Gave me the ha-Bridge screen. By typing in local host. I am going to try to go from here.

Tuicemen

• Administrator
« Reply #19 on: August 19, 2018, 04:44:17 PM »

:)% You must have had a conflict some where glad you got it running. >!
Please Read Topic:
General Forum Etiquette
Before you post!

petera

• PI Expert
« Reply #20 on: August 19, 2018, 04:48:00 PM »

...… I think that's as easy as it can be made at this stage.

Well thank you very much for your help and efforts.

I think you may be misunderstanding me here. Each user no matter what their level of experience will fall down at some stage of the process. It's trying to identify where your install is failing will help getting you to the end game. We can worry about other users at a later stage. Let's just focus on your exploits for the moment.

I outlined 3 stages above. Would I be correct in that assessment. That will help immensely if you could clarify this.

Incidentally is there any particular reason why you are using the desktop version of Raspbian Stretch. As you are probably aware it's not required for your HomeGenie/HA Bridge installation and is using up valuable memory and processor resources.

HA Dave

« Reply #21 on: August 19, 2018, 05:02:49 PM »

Well... this kinda sucks. The ha-bridge runs great. But following the same great instructions to install Homegenie... gives me nothing. The normal 127.0.0.1 takes me to the bridge screen. So now.... it's the same problem only the 2nd install was HG and it isn't there.

petera

• PI Expert
« Reply #22 on: August 19, 2018, 05:07:26 PM »

I reckon the HA Bridge software was already there and installed on default port 80 yet it was being requested on port 8080 on the browser address bar as seen from an earlier post. I had an idea it may have been the problem and that's why I suggested manually typing the PI's full numeric address. So many different packages use different ports as default. Home Assistant uses port 8123 and Domoticz uses port 8080

Great to see that part is completed. All that's needed now is to match the WebHooks on the bridge with the HomeGenie X10 devices and on reboot Dave should have a system identical to Homeseer which he clearly is comfortable with.

One again Tuicemen, nice post. Might be worth tidying it up and reposting it. It will serve as a good reference point for other would be users. >!

Tuicemen

• Administrator
« Reply #23 on: August 19, 2018, 05:10:08 PM »

Well... this kinda sucks. The ha-bridge runs great. But following the same great instructions to install Homegenie... gives me nothing. The normal 127.0.0.1 takes me to the bridge screen. So now.... it's the same problem only the 2nd install was HG and it isn't there.
when you install HG and Port 80 is in use it tries to install to port 8080 or 8081 so try http://127.0.0.1:8080
Please Read Topic:
General Forum Etiquette
Before you post!

Tuicemen

• Administrator
« Reply #24 on: August 19, 2018, 05:13:07 PM »

One again Tuicemen, nice post. Might be worth tidying it up and reposting it. It will serve as a good reference point for other would be users. >!
Thanks! I'll split the discussion once we have Dave's HG setup displaying too.
Please Read Topic:
General Forum Etiquette
Before you post!

petera

• PI Expert
« Reply #25 on: August 19, 2018, 05:17:58 PM »

Just copy paste this command. It will tell you what ports are in use and what is using which

sudo netstat -tulpn | grep LISTEN

Tuicemen

• Administrator
« Reply #26 on: August 19, 2018, 05:21:47 PM »

Just copy paste this command. It will tell you what ports are in use and what is using which

I was looking for how to do that good tip!
Please Read Topic:
General Forum Etiquette
Before you post!

petera

• PI Expert
« Reply #27 on: August 19, 2018, 05:30:37 PM »

I was looking for how to do that good tip!

netstat is a very powerful and informative command when troubleshooting servers. Particularly good for Apache servers which can overwhelm your system.

HA Dave

« Reply #28 on: August 19, 2018, 09:30:52 PM »

I had a spare memory card,
I reloaded raspbian from noobs already on the memory card.
I followed the directions exactly...…

And once again got exactly the same results.

I have to assume there is some needed bit of information used in the setup.... not included in the instructions. Or my device is faulty.
« Last Edit: August 19, 2018, 09:32:41 PM by HA Dave »

HA Dave

« Reply #29 on: August 19, 2018, 09:40:25 PM »

Believe me... I understand the idea of "fixing" a setup. I've been a part of that here for a decade or more. But that is not what I am trying to do here. I am looking for a product that works. A product that can be "fixed".... has little on no value.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.