Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: KISS Scripts WTF?  (Read 2093 times)

Tuicemen

• Administrator
  • Helpful Post Rating: 282
  • I don't work for X10, I use it successfuly!
KISS Scripts WTF?
« on: August 21, 2018, 03:26:19 PM »

As a newbie to PIs I've struggled with installing PI programs even some that have an actual PI image B:(
in fact I've only been able to install two programs first time around ::) :' others took multiple attempts.
I'd never attempted creating linux scripts prior to just recently so my scripts are a bit rough arround the edges.
I figure a thread for users to share their PI installer scripts would be a nice help for newbies to the Pi world attempting to run there X10 setups from. On second though a single thread just isn't enough as it would get confussing for the possible multitude of scripts.

For those that wish to post a script.. Please detail what it does and post an attachment for it as a text file ,users can download and then rename it to the SH format.
If the script installs something state which version it is installing! ;)
 >!

« Last Edit: August 22, 2018, 11:33:19 AM by Tuicemen »
Please Read Topic:
General Forum Etiquette
Before you post!

Tuicemen

• Administrator
Re: KISS Scripts WTF?
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2018, 11:31:18 AM »

PI Newbies that are looking for a specific installer or script to perform something may also request one.Perhaps a member of the community will help you out. ::) :'
It should be noted that most scripts can be run from a terminal window with
Code: [Select]
./scriptname.sh or
sh scriptname.sh or
sh scriptname or
./scriptname
« Last Edit: August 29, 2018, 08:46:40 AM by Tuicemen »
Please Read Topic:
General Forum Etiquette
Before you post!

Tuicemen

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2018, 09:10:35 AM »

Several long time Linux users don't agree with creating scripts or sharing to others however they are willing to use scripts ::) :'
Their reasoning is it teaches newbies nothing. This I disagree with, A SD image teaches nothing!
I once was for using and even creating SD images I even created a few and posted those on my server.

I certainly am not a script writer expert and never will be. However while learning I believe in sharing my script creations (if they work for me.) Of these some may require extra work to be successful like a reboot. ;)
Scripts posted here will not be maintained by me and users should not expect this, thus the reason for posting the file as a text file. Users can open it and see the calls that are being made and edit them if required.
 >!
Please Read Topic:
General Forum Etiquette
Before you post!

petera

• PI Expert
  • Helpful Post Rating: 27
« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2018, 11:28:36 AM »

Several long time Linux users don't agree with creating scripts or sharing to others however they are willing to use scripts ::) :'
Their reasoning is it teaches newbies nothing. This I disagree with, A SD image teaches nothing!
I once was for using and even creating SD images I even created a few and posted those on my server.

I certainly am not a script writer expert and never will be. However while learning I believe in sharing my script creations (if they work for me.) Of these some may require extra work to be successful like a reboot. ;)
Scripts posted here will not be maintained by me and users should not expect this, thus the reason for posting the file as a text file. Users can open it and see the calls that are being made and edit them if required.
 >!

I certainly have no objection to bash scripts for installing programs and dependencies onto a Linux system. After all it's just a list of commands to carry out instructions in a particular order, somewhat similar to the Batch File in good old MS Dos.

The problem arises when the script hangs in mid air and there's no way back. Also when the script references a repository which is either unavailable or no longer exists. As you say you can't be expected to maintain them either and rightly so.

By all means if it makes life easier for the novice to dip their toe in the Raspberry Pi world I'm all for scripts but at some stage that novice will have to expose themselves to the bogey man in the form of the Linux file system, whose difficulty is constantly overplayed by those who can't be bothered exploring it.

Tuicemen

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2018, 11:37:17 AM »

By all means if it makes life easier for the novice to dip their toe in the Raspberry Pi world I'm all for scripts but at some stage that novice will have to expose themselves to the bogey man in the form of the Linux file system, whose difficulty is constantly overplayed by those who can't be bothered exploring it.
That's why I suggest posting the script as an attachment text file as well. If something goes funky a user can open it up and usually fix the issue or at least attempt it. ;)
I find myself coming back to this section every so often as I experiment with different setups. Scripts sure speeds things up.
Please Read Topic:
General Forum Etiquette
Before you post!

petera

• PI Expert
  • Helpful Post Rating: 27
« Reply #5 on: September 04, 2018, 12:10:54 PM »

That's why I suggest posting the script as an attachment text file as well. If something goes funky a user can open it up and usually fix the issue or at least attempt it. ;)
I find myself coming back to this section every so often as I experiment with different setups. Scripts sure speeds things up.

And with that experimenting you can clearly see the file structures, how they ore organised, what goes where and of course ownerships and permissions. In fact a great example of that is when you compile Mochad or Heyu.

Depending on what you want to achieve with either there are many versions of either to choose from and a number of different places they can reside. Mono is another example as you are using it with Home Genie.

Clearly you are willing to throw your lot in and make an effort in the hope that Linux, and in particular Raspbian on the Raspberry Pi in your case, will help you to achieve an integrated home automation solution incorporating X10 and all the other aspects which may have otherwise been out of reach or unattainable.

If you haven't already seriously tried Home Assistant I strongly suggest you do. Now there's a platform that script writing will pay dividends in bucketfuls.  >!

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.