Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Poll

Does X10 control from a Raspberry Pi excite you?

Yes! The possibilities are endless. Full automation here I come.
- 16 (76.2%)
No. It's way too complicated.
- 2 (9.5%)
Meh
- 3 (14.3%)

Total Members Voted: 21

Pages: [1] 2 3 4

Author Topic: X10 on the Raspberry Pi- Is it of interest to you  (Read 8194 times)

petera

• PI Expert
  • Helpful Post Rating: 27
X10 on the Raspberry Pi- Is it of interest to you
« on: October 11, 2018, 06:42:01 PM »

Just wondering if a poll could be set up on this area of the forum as I imagine it is probably a well read area. I believe approximately ten active users have expressed an interest in this subject but it would be nice to get a more accurate figure.

I imagine a lot of users don't even visit the Raspberry Pi area of the forum.

Knightrider

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 62
  • I love my WM100!
    • This Automated House
Re: X10 on the Raspberry Pi- Is it of interest to you
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2018, 07:31:33 AM »

I added one.
Remote control is cool,

but automation rules!

petera

• PI Expert
« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2018, 07:43:41 AM »

I added one.

Thanks.

It's had 18 reads and two votes so far. The suspense is killing me  rofl

petera

• PI Expert
« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2018, 12:05:21 PM »

I’m thinking the CM19a and a plug in transceiver to cover rf and pl might be the way forward X10 hardware wise. Probably the Raspberry Pi Zero WH to keep the footprint as small as possible.

If anyone has other suggestions just fire away.

Now all we need is to agree on is the software platform to run all this. Plenty to choose from so any suggestions more than welcome.

HA Dave

• Helpful Post Rating: 175
« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2018, 01:28:02 PM »

I imagine a lot of users don't even visit the Raspberry Pi area of the forum.

Years ago.... their were other Linux user groups here... and at other Home Automation forums.

It was well understood at the time.... that the Linux members were really Linux hobbyist… not Home Automation hobbyist. But from time-to-time the Linux guys would have X10 user issues which we would do our best to help with.

Most Linux/Pi users will go to their Linux/Pi Web Sites with setup problems and questions. Which... of course... makes perfect sense. Until the Pi set-up goes main stream (like Home Automation has) you may not attract the attention you'd like (and that the Pi units deserve). If you want to popularize the Pi units with X10... you have to remove the "hobby" factor. Stop teaching Pi/Linux/Raspbian/alternate OS's, etc..

Get a "WORKING" set-up! Something that we can use..... not a new hobby we can take-up in the middle of yard-work season. Just... MHO.
Home Automation is an always changing technology

Tuicemen

• Administrator
  • Helpful Post Rating: 282
  • I don't work for X10, I use it successfuly!
« Reply #5 on: October 13, 2018, 02:30:15 PM »

I added one.

Thanks.

It's had 18 reads and two votes so far. The suspense is killing me  rofl
I always found polls got little votes. For the time it takes to do I don't understand why they don't get more activity.
Please Read Topic:
General Forum Etiquette
Before you post!

Tuicemen

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: October 13, 2018, 02:49:43 PM »

I’m thinking the CM19a and a plug in transceiver to cover rf and pl might be the way forward X10 hardware wise. Probably the Raspberry Pi Zero WH to keep the footprint as small as possible.

Now all we need is to agree on is the software platform to run all this. Plenty to choose from so any suggestions more than welcome.
The CM15 is my current choice to run with the PI the PI zero W even fits inside the cm15.
Of course if the CM15 was to get an overhaul with better PLC and RF it would I suspect be everyone's choice. ::)

As for software I believe user here mostly want easy to setup without having to search for extra drivers and play around with for days on end to get simple HA control.

Get a "WORKING" set-up! Something that we can use..... not a new hobby we can take-up in the middle of yard-work season. Just... MHO.
I've had a simple "WORKING" X10 setup running well now for several months.
I originally figured from reading your and others exploits that this would be just a hobby to play with on rainy days.

This was not the case with HomeGenie simple x10 control was up and running in less time then it took to write a SD card.
Adding macros and timers too were a simple add. Customized things with adding Alexa control, security, and special Camera macros took a bit longer but no longer then my special AHP macros. all my HA needs are now off the PC and running on a PI and CM15

I've tried a few other Linux softwares and although they may be more actively being developed they are not as easy to get working for X10 (just my lack of linux experiance mostly).

Please Read Topic:
General Forum Etiquette
Before you post!

petera

• PI Expert
« Reply #7 on: October 13, 2018, 04:18:47 PM »

The CM15 is my current choice to run with the PI the PI zero W even fits inside the cm15.
Of course if the CM15 was to get an overhaul with better PLC and RF it would I suspect be everyone's choice. ::)

As for software I believe user here mostly want easy to setup without having to search for extra drivers and play around with for days on end to get simple HA control.

I've had a simple "WORKING" X10 setup running well now for several months.
I originally figured from reading your and others exploits that this would be just a hobby to play with on rainy days.

This was not the case with HomeGenie simple x10 control was up and running in less time then it took to write a SD card.
Adding macros and timers too were a simple add. Customized things with adding Alexa control, security, and special Camera macros took a bit longer but no longer then my special AHP macros. all my HA needs are now off the PC and running on a PI and CM15

I've tried a few other Linux softwares and although they may be more actively being developed they are not as easy to get working for X10 (just my lack of linux experiance mostly).

I'd like to keep this subject as positive as possible.

I'm only too aware that a certain cohort would not give Linux or its variants the time pf day for whatever reasons, good or bad. I respect that. I wasn't aiming this post at them as can be seen from the title of the post.

The Pi unit is at the end of the day an educational board that has evolved far beyond its original purpose. Contrary to some beliefs it is not going away and has in fact renergised interest in a market that is flooded with smart phones and smart tablets with little or no access to their working parts and very little chance of the ordinary man or woman in the street learning anything about their inner workings.

Regarding a working set up, it's there. It's working and believe it or not it has does have Microsoft related  "bits" inside it too. The problem is because it doesn't have a large price tag attached there must be something wrong with it.

In fact for those who are not aware of it, there's a unit called a Hometroller from a company called Homeseer. This unit is a fairly low speced, in today's terms, Raspberry Pi in a case complete with their company logo with an older scaled down version of the company's automation software with limitations on what plugins can be used. Price tagged at $199.95. Interestingly there could be one or two users who actually own and run one on this forum. And yes its run by the dreaded Linux OS Raspbian. This system is no different from the one myself and Tuicemen are suggesting.

For all the time, attention and dedication given to the WM100 I'd hardly call it a working solution either. In fact I'd attach it to the other end of the handle of my yard brush so I could lean on it in between brushing sessions

Tuicemen

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: October 13, 2018, 04:39:35 PM »

The WM100 was never designed to be a power user module it was more designed for users the were using Firecracker software and interface not users that were use to AHP and interface.

I like to thing of the WM100  as a cm11 in its infancy.I often thought of adding a WM100 Wi-fi daughter board to a CM15 but A Pi or SBC adds so much more.
An improved CM15 with embedded PI or SBC would be the ultamate x10 controler. If I could only convice Authinx of that! ::) :'
My embeded SBC CM15 even has a free USB port to allow a Zwave stick or other protocol dongle. ;)
And HomeGenie is already for Zwave, no extra drivers need to be installed. :)%
Please Read Topic:
General Forum Etiquette
Before you post!

petera

• PI Expert
« Reply #9 on: October 13, 2018, 05:09:02 PM »

And HomeGenie is already for Zwave, no extra drivers need to be installed. :)%

And more importantly in this case X10 simple.

My aim would be to dispense with the CM15 and the old macros/timers mindset on the X10 controller and the requirement for an additional power outlet as the CM19 is powered directly from the Pi. I'm still waiting for delivery of the CM19 I ordered last week.

I've no objection to using HomeGenie for the purposes of helping users get X10 Raspberry Pi ready.

This project would be by no means a hobbyist aspiration. I've neither the time nor the inclination to get involved at that level. It's proven to work and that's all that concerns me.

Tuicemen

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: October 13, 2018, 05:24:18 PM »

My preferance of the cm15 over the 19 is the included RF no need for a tranciever there is no need for the cm15 memory or clock as that is in a PI. I also believe a redesigned cm15 could power a Pi directly.
Please Read Topic:
General Forum Etiquette
Before you post!

petera

• PI Expert
« Reply #11 on: October 13, 2018, 06:04:35 PM »

My preferance of the cm15 over the 19 is the included RF no need for a tranciever there is no need for the cm15 memory or clock as that is in a PI. I also believe a redesigned cm15 could power a Pi directly.

Is the rf signal problematic on the CM15. Is the rf signal on the the CM19 any better.

Are you powering your Pi Zero directly from a CM15. Have you any inline circuit protection for the Pi Zero. It's a sensitive piece of kit.

I imagine a redesigned X10 controller could encompass something like a Pi or a variant giving the user freedom to design their X10/home automation as they choose. That would definitely be the domain of @JeffVolp and @dhoustan.

Tuicemen

• Administrator
« Reply #12 on: October 13, 2018, 06:42:36 PM »

Is the rf signal problematic on the CM15. Is the rf signal on the the CM19 any better.

Are you powering your Pi Zero directly from a CM15. Have you any inline circuit protection for the Pi Zero. It's a sensitive piece of kit.

Some users report issues with RF and the Cm15 but I've never encountered that I find the RF signal to be the same from both the cm15 and cm19neither seems to be better then the other in my tests at least.

My PIs and other SBC are not powered from a CM15. I had looked into doing that but couldn't get voltage or amps I was comfortable trying.
Like I stated my original thought of the PI X10 was a rainy day hobby I didn't expect it to be running my HA setup so smoothly so quickly. I don't wish to take one out of operation to experiment so I had to order an extra Cm15 and Pi Zero W  so I had a rainy day hobby  rofl
Please Read Topic:
General Forum Etiquette
Before you post!

dhouston

• Advanced Member
  • Helpful Post Rating: 37
    • davehouston.org
« Reply #13 on: October 13, 2018, 06:53:10 PM »

Very early in the WM100 Era I suggested Authinx should release a supported Pi + software that would be plug'n'play for users. It could communicate with the WM100 via WiFi and could support RF RX/TX as well as link with other WiFi modules. I still think this would be the best way forward.
This message was composed entirely from recycled letters of the alphabet using only renewable, caffeinated energy sources.
No twees, wabbits, chimps or whales died in the process.
https://www.laser.com/dhouston

petera

• PI Expert
« Reply #14 on: October 13, 2018, 07:04:10 PM »

Very early in the WM100 Era I suggested Authinx should release a supported Pi + software that would be plug'n'play for users. It could communicate with the WM100 via WiFi and could support RF RX/TX as well as link with other WiFi modules. I still think this would be the best way forward.

It certainly sounds like it would be. As previously discussed the Authinx business model doesn't sound like it going in this direction though. The question is what direction to take it in now.

I do understand that while the expertise is available on this forum to make this happen does anyone still have the appetite to do it.

The Raspberry Pi Zero W and a suitably designed X10 controller seems like the obvious answer. The Pi Zero W acts like a drop in module into the X10 controller.

Do you see this as a feasible option.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.