Yes
- 12 (80%)
no
- 0 (0%)
don't care either way or I already have X10 control on my Pi
- 3 (20%)

Total Members Voted: 15

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5

Author Topic: Your thoughts on a X10 PI Hub  (Read 13961 times)

Tuicemen

• Administrator
  • Helpful Post Rating: 282
  • I don't work for X10, I use it successfuly!
Your thoughts on a X10 PI Hub
« on: October 26, 2018, 10:33:53 AM »

Creating disk special PI SD images can be a challenge given all the pi models available now.
However I believe if one pi model is stuck to (say the affordable Zero W) this will reduce possible issues.
Current Pi users already know the PI can be turned into a HA HUB for basically every possible HA Protocol.
What others as well as my self are looking at is a software package that allows easy setup of X10.
A new X10 Pi specific software could be created but why reinvent something if one already exists.
I've not tried all the possible HA software options available as yet for the PI but one is standing out for me.

This software has both ease of install plus ease of settting up a simple X10 configuration though a disk image could remove the install issue and reduce setup effort of any software.

Please Read Topic:
General Forum Etiquette
Before you post!

bkenobi

• PI Expert
  • Helpful Post Rating: 24
Re: Your thoughts on a X10 PI Hub
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2018, 11:03:28 AM »

Is "X10 Pi Hub" a new software I'm not familiar with?  I asked Google, but nothing popped up.

brobin

• Helpful Post Rating: 157
« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2018, 11:21:46 AM »

This software has both ease of install plus ease of setting up a simple X10 configuration though a disk image could remove the install issue and reduce setup effort of any software.

I think "ease of install plus ease of setting up" is key to getting lots of people on board. Most people don't have the time, desire, or frankly, the aptitude, to learn how to put all the pieces together.  Although I'm not a customer, I think HomeSeer came up with a good option with their $200 Pi3 based controller that's well supported.  While it's not cheap, it's not expensive either. 

I think that your idea to create an X10 image would bridge the gap between HomeSeer and a "roll-your-own" by providing a working base to enable one to get right down to using rather than developing a basic controller.

Tuicemen

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2018, 12:47:20 PM »

Is "X10 Pi Hub" a new software I'm not familiar with?  I asked Google, but nothing popped up.
No the X10 Pi HUB is not a new software. Although it could be I have no intention of creating something already available.
The Idea is to utilize existing software that works on a PI and create an easy to install X10 Pi setup for a Pi Zero W.

There is no need to even create a new hardware with a Pi inside. Although that also would be possible it is not my intention.
The Pi Zero W can be picked up for under $20 you can put it in virtually any case or get the official case and Power supply for a few dollars more.

I think "ease of install plus ease of setting up" is key to getting lots of people on board. Most people don't have the time, desire, or frankly, the aptitude, to learn how to put all the pieces together.  Although I'm not a customer, I think HomeSeer came up with a good option with their $200 Pi3 based controller that's well supported.  While it's not cheap, it's not expensive either. 

I think that your idea to create an X10 image would bridge the gap between HomeSeer and a "roll-your-own" by providing a working base to enable one to get right down to using rather than developing a basic controller.
My idea is to put together a small beta test group to test out the software ease of install and setup.
The final result being a Zero W image that installs the software with a simple basic X10 setup already ready to go for a cm15 or cm19 but hopefully for the cm11 or any thirdparty x10 controller that is capable of running from a Pi Zero W.
My idea is to have novice and newbies to the Pi world in this user group as well as a couple of experienced with x10 & the PI.
Please Read Topic:
General Forum Etiquette
Before you post!

brobin

• Helpful Post Rating: 157
« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2018, 12:59:24 PM »

My idea is to have novice and newbies to the Pi world in this user group as well as a couple of experienced with x10 & the PI.

I'm still a novice/newbie in the Pi world but I do have 34 years of X10 experience and a spare PiZW sitting here so consider me a volunteer.

Tuicemen

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2018, 01:19:40 PM »

Thanks brobin!

The Software I have in mind to utilize for this image is HomeGenie for those wondering. My experience has been that this is the easiest for a newbie to install and setup though I hope to take much of that off the need to do.
This will start with the most recent stable release not using beta releases.

Once I have a few users interested I get something setup However I want users that are willing to stick with this and not give up on the first hurtle they encounter. User input will be the key to getting anywhere with this.
Please Read Topic:
General Forum Etiquette
Before you post!

petera

• PI Expert
  • Helpful Post Rating: 27
« Reply #6 on: October 26, 2018, 01:48:31 PM »

I'm still a novice/newbie in the Pi world but I do have 34 years of X10 experience and a spare PiZW sitting here so consider me a volunteer.

We are all novices in the Pi world but are learning fast. That 34 years of X10 experience will be invaluable here  :)%

The baby step approach I imagine Tuicemen will adopt will allow anyone who has any computer experience to jump on board. Looking forward to assisting with this endeavour in any way I can.

Tuicemen

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: October 26, 2018, 02:25:08 PM »

The baby step approach I imagine Tuicemen will adopt will allow anyone who has any computer experience to jump on board. Looking forward to assisting with this endeavour in any way I can.
I definately will be looking for your assistance on this.
My hope is when finished is, even a 10 year old will be able to put in the SD card (once created) and be up and running in under 20 mins.
The main thing long time X10 users dread is recreating there setup over and over if a problem ocurrs.
The fact that homeGenie has a backup restore function that actualy works is a big plus to this and will aid in the beta test.

Please Read Topic:
General Forum Etiquette
Before you post!

petera

• PI Expert
« Reply #8 on: October 26, 2018, 02:45:21 PM »

Good time to start too.  Nights closing in and outdoors become indoors. Just waiting on you to press the launch button. The countdown has started 😆

Tuicemen

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: October 26, 2018, 03:00:36 PM »

The launch of this beta test will be in a 3-4 weeks given there is enough interest. ::) :'
I can't spend much time on this till then, however if someone wishes to take the lead till then it can get started sooner.
Since the original creator is back to working on HomeGenie (HG) maybe we can get some things of interest to the X10 forum users added as well, the X10 side of HG needs little tweaking.

I also realize there are several Forum users already running HG some are just new to it while others have been using it for years. These users don't require a HG SD image but their input in this beta test would also be very helpful.
 >!
Please Read Topic:
General Forum Etiquette
Before you post!

petera

• PI Expert
« Reply #10 on: October 26, 2018, 03:19:40 PM »

Not beta related but I’m looking at the possibility of trying to get the CM19 working with HG. The CM11 and the CM15 are already covered but that’s for another post.

Tuicemen

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: October 26, 2018, 03:30:44 PM »

I had though someone on my forum had it working with HG using the Cm15 option in HG. However it appears they are using mochad and node-red.
Please Read Topic:
General Forum Etiquette
Before you post!

HA Dave

• Helpful Post Rating: 175
« Reply #12 on: October 26, 2018, 10:15:45 PM »

Good time to start too.  Nights closing in and outdoors become indoors. Just waiting on you to press the launch button. The countdown has started 😆

Winter weather is good "hobby" weather. The up-coming holidays (particularly Thanksgiving for Americans) which often require travel and/or house guests.... can slow things a bit. But winter is Home Automation season.
Home Automation is an always changing technology

Tuicemen

• Administrator
« Reply #13 on: October 27, 2018, 08:23:36 AM »

I'm looking forward to HA season this year.
I have lots of projects lined up so I expect it will fly be quickly. rofl
I've setup a beta section in hopes there will be a few users willing to participate in this, hopefully I didn't jump the gun! ::) :'
Please Read Topic:
General Forum Etiquette
Before you post!

petera

• PI Expert
« Reply #14 on: October 27, 2018, 10:52:26 AM »

I had though someone on my forum had it working with HG using the Cm15 option in HG. However it appears they are using mochad and node-red.

The Vendor ID for the CM15 is 0bc70001 while the CM19 is 0bc70002. I know Mochad allows for that when setting up its UDEV rule but I'm not sure yet if the XtenLib does. I'll try it out and see what results I get.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.