Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6]

Author Topic: Re: PiX10Hub setup Tutorial  (Read 17003 times)

dkbialik

• Helpful Post Rating: 1
Re: PiX10Hub setup Tutorial
« Reply #75 on: November 27, 2019, 02:48:54 PM »

maybe I do have the wrong image.  What is the exact url for the image and I can start over?

Tuicemen

• Administrator
  • Helpful Post Rating: 282
  • I don't work for X10, I use it successfuly!
« Reply #76 on: November 27, 2019, 02:50:57 PM »

Ok you installed wrong version  but not to worry try typing in
Code: [Select]
sh /boot/HG
Please Read Topic:
General Forum Etiquette
Before you post!

dkbialik

« Reply #77 on: November 27, 2019, 02:52:29 PM »

Can't open /boot/HG

Tuicemen

• Administrator
« Reply #78 on: November 27, 2019, 02:56:22 PM »

try sudo sh /boot/HG
the download for the 1.7 image is http://tuicemen.net/downloads/Pi/pihub/PiX10Hub-1_2.7z I believe
Please Read Topic:
General Forum Etiquette
Before you post!

dkbialik

« Reply #79 on: November 27, 2019, 02:58:30 PM »

Can't open /boot/HG

dkbialik

« Reply #80 on: November 27, 2019, 02:59:19 PM »

I will try the fresh install

dkbialik

« Reply #81 on: November 27, 2019, 04:56:27 PM »

it looks like the new install worked!  Now to figure out HomeGenie.  Thank you for your help and patience.

Tuicemen

• Administrator
« Reply #82 on: November 27, 2019, 05:52:38 PM »

Glad to see your on your way with HG!
Please Read Topic:
General Forum Etiquette
Before you post!

shtckt

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
« Reply #83 on: December 23, 2019, 12:31:58 AM »

Tuicemen, it has been a pleasure to once again see and read of your adventures.  Thanks for the forum.

Recently got a new whole house electrical distribution panel installed. Electrician was to keep the layout similar to the old. Seems "similar" means different things to different people. Half the X-10 modules that had worked for years suddenly went inoperable. Just would not be operated by the CM15A. Last week I got a friend and we chased down every light and receptacle to a new breaker number.

Two things happened. The PC monitor used as an AHP program container developed a noisy monitor power supply. Capacitors were singing the blues. Fixed that noise maker that was not 3 feet from the CM15A. Then, the very day the new power panel reenergized, the Always faithful SignalLink Repeater 4826A died on Line B. Was making up its own X-10 codes and actions. Had my old passive unit pressed into service. My study is at the far end of the house from the electrical panel. Now some signals still do not get received 100% of the time.

Tried to find another 4826A. Found one. It died 3 months later. Pulled out the old laptop I was only to use for my BMW diagnostic programs and dusted off my last copy of Tuicement AHP and Lifejacket. Plugged in one of my last three CM15A in a receptacle just inside the house from the electrical panel. I have been running like that for a couple of months.

Then to check out the present State of the X-10 Universe, I got on the forum. What? A Pi Hub?

Have read everything I could on the new toy, ah, I mean tool. But was not quite ready to jump. Tried HomeGenie on the same computer as the AHP. Only programmed a couple modules that run indoor lights. Worked. Tackled the OpenWeather widget. I do not program but looking at the code, and a lot of Google searches, found how to convert it to Houston weather in terms and units my southern US brain can identify. Only took one whole evening and it is still not pretty.

Then realized I had no more control of my CM15A from AHP. Then found some of HG installation would not uninstall. The HG driver for the CM15A was fighting the one for AHP. Got out all the old writeups and utilities to kill rogue drivers and programs that will just not uninstall. Done. Not running HG on the PC again.

Finally decided to buy a Vilros kit. Burned the image. Then saw the bit about NotePad Word Wrap. Darn. Had saved the SSID info with NotePad using word wrap. Thought two seconds about redoing config. Nope, I reburned the image again and modified the SSID without Word Wrap.

Like I finally read tonight, someone else earlier this year discovered the difference in what is seen on the computer screen that is different from the instructions at just about step 7. Expecting to see a chance to change password, etc., I ended up seeing a question if I wanted to update something or another. Threw in a "Y" and some was updated but most was not.

Got out of PuTTY and fired up Chrome but first I got on my router to discover the IP address. Nice that it shows up as X10Hub.

Inserted the SD and got everything else ready including one old CM15A (2004) that I got on AHP to totally purge digitally.
I have ignored the weather widget. That could take another whole evening to recreate what I did a few weeks ago. But I configured the X10 setting to work via CM15A, left everything else programmed as is and loaded up the J,K, and M house codes full of my modules, entered their identifications and tried some. How nice to hear old X-10 modules hammering away from across the house.

Was hoping to read through this Help and Trouble Shooting what it would take to get into the Pi configuration screen to change password, etc. Looks like that will be a trial and error. Part of the learning process.

I did not see a graceful way to exit HG so just "X" out the browser. Now I am afraid to turn off the PiHub after reading how it can corrupt the SD. Nothing on the Hub will automatically do any X-10 so will just let it simmer over night. Will read more tomorrow before I turn it off. Got an APC Back-UPS with its only load being the Pi power supply

Been a thrill for this old dog to learn some new tricks. http://forums.x10.com/Smileys/default/BDH.gif

Thanks for making it so easy this far. http://forums.x10.com/Smileys/default/happy065.gif

Tuicemen

• Administrator
« Reply #84 on: December 24, 2019, 06:13:13 AM »

Glad to see/read your getting some enjoyment from the PiX10Hub. I'm saddened that so many long time X10ers find working with the Pi so difficult.
I'm hoping the new Buster image I'm putting together will make things a little easier for some of the other old timers to jump on the PiX10Hub.
HomeGenie with the power it has does circles around AHP.
 >!
« Last Edit: January 06, 2021, 11:32:52 AM by Tuicemen »
Please Read Topic:
General Forum Etiquette
Before you post!

shtckt

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
« Reply #85 on: June 20, 2020, 10:47:20 AM »

Some short amount of time after you posted this, Buster PiX10 came along. For me, it was a blessing. Stretch version was working my X10 modules okay but I had glitches now and then. I jumped right in and started another SD card to integrate Buster. I would stop and remove the Stretch version between scheduled X10 events so I could try the Pi on Buster.

My only problem with anything associated with the Pi is just lack of experience. The hardware, languages, and software are all new to me. Lurking into this unknown is at least not so devastating a task to recover from my missteps. If something goes blitz, I grab the last SD backup and reimage. Professionally I worked for years with design, installation, and startup of systems that you just did not play with. They took too long to build and cost more than what I made in a lifetime. I would read all I could about the equipment, the process software, and anyone else who would discuss it with me before I integrated it into a process and would repeat the all the discussion and learning before I would attempt to start it.

I still follow that pattern with the Pi. I study the heck out of whatever I want from it first and then try to see if what I read works. My main problem is the path to get there. It might sound obvious to all of the long time automation people involved in this forum but what I lack is knowing that what seems obvious to me to require doing step A, then B, C, etc. thru Z, is wrong and it requires doing it in a different order. This might be simple the experts of this forum but for novices like me, it can be daunting and sometimes frustrating to not have a feel for how it all works and to be able to diagnose it when it goes wrong. It took me a whole day to configure DuckDNS. I knew forwards and backwards how to structure and run the command line...but did not know where to input that host name and token within HG.

I got the Buster Pi Hub installed and running just days before we left on holiday in early January. We were gone for almost 3 months. Near the end of that time, Covid19 was brewing. I remember trying to find masks in a small resort town not knowing if we could find supplies when we got home. I was certainly not having to worry about the PiHub.

The PiHub worked like a champ that whole time. I still checked it remotely each morning...just to be sure. Did not dare do anything that might kill it. My only ritual was to use the Tuicemen Memory Cleaner.

I do not have an Alexa. Until today, I did not venture into anything associated with HA-Bridge. That is, until I read an article how to use htop. I tried it on my PiHub via PuTTY. Seems my Buster PiHub has been processing repeatedly something I vaguely remember listed as HA-Bridge-blah-blah.jar that was eating 18% of the memory and occasionally jumping much higher. I am thinking this was my memory gobbler.

For the first time every, I launched my PC browser into the Pi's address with port 80. Yes HA-Bridge. I rummaged around the settings and found something that to me was like a program defeat switch...a turn off. I tried it and it responded with a pop-up saying HA-Bridge was off and would turn back on after a reboot. But instantly the htop app showed a bunch more memory was returned to the free total.

HTOP also showed me that 20% of my zeroW memory is going to running.....Homegenie.com --log. But, unless that log processing grows, or even doubles, I will not stop the log as the reduction in memory is better than not knowing what might be going on with Homegenie.

But even after all the above, I just want to say "thanks for Buster image". It was a nice stepping stone into Pi. It is doing what it needed to do at my home.  It is solid and runs all my modules without fail. For years, actually almost a couple decades, AHP ruled my X-10. At least monthly there was an errant light turned on that was not called by me or the schedule to do so. It was like the gremlins came out with each new moon. Lifejacket was how I found you and the forum. But I dreaded leaving the home for even a long weekend not knowing if the pool would be green or some light would be left on all day when I returned. I have not had anything go wrong on X10 since last December when I got the Pi and the Buster image. It will take me some more time to get comfortable with all that this hardware and software can do. But it will be a pleasure to do so with this forum as an ally.

Tuicemen

• Administrator
« Reply #86 on: January 06, 2021, 12:04:24 PM »

I was at my Off Grid place from when Covid hit till just before Christmas. I did try to check in to the forum each week at least but missed several post including this one shtckt sorry about that. It is nice to see long time X10 users moving to a PI.
I also had an uncomfortable feeling moving my setup over to  a Raspi however my requirement for a low power X10 controller that was accessible remotely won me over. (I required this for my Off grid place)

I realize there are still several that may still be running the original Stretch PiX10Hub image and not updated for fear of losing things.
Backing up & restoring HG is a very simple task. HA-Bridge not so much however a helper has been added to HA-Bridge V5.3.0 for HG which can aid in setting up HG modules to work with Alexa.
Buster has even been updated since the AnyPI Buster PiX10Hub. This to can be updated from the command line but I constantly read of users having difficulty with this too.
I do Plan on putting together another image with options to install HomeGenie, HA-Bridge, MidniteComander and maybe some other things. If one chooses not to install any additional software a Vanilla Raspi OS (currently Buster)will only be installed.
 >!
Please Read Topic:
General Forum Etiquette
Before you post!
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6]

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.