Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Updating and Upgrading?  (Read 6431 times)

Tuicemen

• Administrator
  • Helpful Post Rating: 282
  • I don't work for X10, I use it successfuly!
Updating and Upgrading?
« on: December 23, 2018, 08:20:21 AM »

The PiX10Hub uses the Raspbian Stretch lite OS and Since the Raspbian OS is in a constant development this requires updates and upgrades to be performed occasionally just as is done on initial setup.
For those experienced (even a little) with Linux know how to do this. However the goal of this Project (for me) was for newbies not be required to go down the Linux rabbit hole but still have a very robust HA system.
Along with the update and upgrade tasks, a safe shutdown can only be done from the Pi OS. This still doesn't mean one has to dive into the Linux world though I encourage users to at least get your feet wet.
It is possible for HA-Bridge to be setup to perform the above tasks and maybe even HomeGenie with a clever script.
 -:) Maybe a Pi Expert could create one to share with the community?

Since I'm only a novice to Linux I'm sure there maybe other tasks that may need to be done occasionally just like for the Windows platform.
  ::) :'
« Last Edit: December 23, 2018, 08:22:02 AM by Tuicemen »
Please Read Topic:
General Forum Etiquette
Before you post!

petera

• PI Expert
  • Helpful Post Rating: 27
Re: Updating and Upgrading?
« Reply #1 on: December 23, 2018, 08:54:47 AM »

The PiX10Hub uses the Raspbian Stretch lite OS and Since the Raspbian OS is in a constant development this requires updates and upgrades to be performed occasionally just as is done on initial setup.
For those experienced (even a little) with Linux know how to do this. However the goal of this Project (for me) was for newbies not be required to go down the Linux rabbit hole but still have a very robust HA system.
Along with the update and upgrade tasks, a safe shutdown can only be done from the Pi OS. This still doesn't mean one has to dive into the Linux world though I encourage users to at least get your feet wet.
It is possible for HA-Bridge to be setup to perform the above tasks and maybe even HomeGenie with a clever script.
 -:) Maybe a Pi Expert could create one to share with the community?

Since I'm only a novice to Linux I'm sure there maybe other tasks that may need to be done occasionally just like for the Windows platform.
  ::) :'

Yes all these "extras" will follow in due course I'm sure.

I want to assure users here that Linux is not the bogey man it is sometimes portrayed as by some here on the forum. In fact the mere action of SSH into a server has probably brought you places you could never have dreamed of before this project.

I'm sure there are many old "DOS" dogs here now wondering what all the fuss was about. A flashing cursor and a command line. Now where did you see that before  :)

These house keeping tasks of update/upgrade will become second nature in time. In fact you'll wonder why you didnt chase that old rabbit down the rabbit hole a long time ago.  rofl

racerfern

• Helpful Post Rating: 6
« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2019, 12:00:01 PM »

Although I'm a big fan of staying current with software updates (not that I have much choice with Windows 10) on an ever changing PC, at times it can bite you on static systems.

Any one of a number of updates to the Linux structure can kill a running system, be it Homegenie, Homeseer or a Pi with an add-on board such as a z-net, especially if the developer doesn't keep up with the latest changes.

If you have a perfectly running system that is dedicated to one function such as Homegenie or Homeseer, there doesn't seem to be much sense to update. I wish Windows were still this way, I'd have a machine with XP or 7 running my HA system and be as happy as could be.

My 2¢

brobin

• Helpful Post Rating: 157
« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2019, 01:39:07 PM »

Well, Windows XP is sort of that way now since there are no more updates (unless you do a registry hack to make it appear as a POS) - that's 'point -of-sale' - not what you were thinking!  ;)

petera

• PI Expert
« Reply #4 on: January 01, 2019, 02:39:56 PM »

Although I'm a big fan of staying current with software updates (not that I have much choice with Windows 10) on an ever changing PC, at times it can bite you on static systems.

Any one of a number of updates to the Linux structure can kill a running system, be it Homegenie, Homeseer or a Pi with an add-on board such as a z-net, especially if the developer doesn't keep up with the latest changes.

If you have a perfectly running system that is dedicated to one function such as Homegenie or Homeseer, there doesn't seem to be much sense to update. I wish Windows were still this way, I'd have a machine with XP or 7 running my HA system and be as happy as could be.

My 2¢

Being a long time user of the Linux system a static OS is not recommended. As with any OS security is always an issue and regular updates prevent the likelihood of a breach in your system via any weakness in the kernel. The kernel is constantly in a state of change and development and in order to avail of these benefits you really should not neglect regular updates in order to hold on to some poorly maintained software.

HG depends on Mono to run and should you fail to regularly update this package you may find at some stage HG will no longer function.

I do know that HomeSeer Pi Troller or whatever it's called is hopelessly way behind in OS distribution upgrades and it's beginning to show. I managed to update a friends unit recently. I think his unit was stuck on Wheezy or Jessie and the Mono version was way back at V3.2. The supplier seemed in no rush to do any updates and I believe is encouraging users just to purchase the next model Pi version to boost sales.

racerfern

« Reply #5 on: January 01, 2019, 02:54:56 PM »

The supplier seemed in no rush to do any updates and I believe is encouraging users just to purchase the next model Pi version to boost sales.

I completely disagree with this statement and it is unfounded. The vendor, Homeseer themselves bend over backwards to try and help either through tech support or on the forum. After all, it's their reputation for excellent customer service that's on the line. And I do have first hand knowledge. If a third party vendor acts like that then shame on them and they should be called out.

petera

• PI Expert
« Reply #6 on: January 01, 2019, 04:13:35 PM »

The supplier seemed in no rush to do any updates and I believe is encouraging users just to purchase the next model Pi version to boost sales.

I completely disagree with this statement and it is unfounded. The vendor, Homeseer themselves bend over backwards to try and help either through tech support or on the forum. After all, it's their reputation for excellent customer service that's on the line. And I do have first hand knowledge. If a third party vendor acts like that then shame on them and they should be called out.

It was by searching through their forum I came upon some very "interesting" posts on the subject of their Zee and Zee S2. Not going to get into it here in any depth but from what I read it's long overdue a proper update. Even the author agrees with this.

I'll leave you with the trials and tribulations of HomeSeer. Enough to be doing here for now. Good to see you are one of their satisified customers though. Not forgetting of course that they don't officially support X10,  the subject matter on this forum.

HA Dave

• Helpful Post Rating: 175
« Reply #7 on: January 01, 2019, 07:12:42 PM »

I completely disagree with this statement and it is unfounded. The vendor, Homeseer themselves bend over backwards to try and help either through tech support or on the forum.

I am in complete agreement. Homeseer is a premium product. Not a low-priced product.... but worth it's cost.

………. Good to see you are one of their satisified customers though. Not forgetting of course that they don't officially support X10,  the subject matter on this forum.

And the UN-official support provided for X10 by Homeseer..... is pretty much the same as the UN-official support provided for X10 here as well (strictly volunteer). As a matter of fact..... X10 may be the ONLY format on the internet that isn't officially supported by any manufacture/producer/owner.
« Last Edit: January 01, 2019, 07:14:47 PM by HA Dave »
Home Automation is an always changing technology

dave w

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 139
« Reply #8 on: January 01, 2019, 08:19:06 PM »

I'll leave you with the trials and tribulations of HomeSeer. Enough to be doing here for now. Good to see you are one of their satisified customers though.
I have been running Homeseer (HS) since early HS 2.0 and "the trials and tribulations of HomeSeer" are few. And as HA Dave pointed out, even though HS does not support X10 anymore, it isn't much different from the "help" we got from X10 WTI, or now from Authinx. I can still get help from the HS Help Line. I am rubbing the chin hairs, thinking about the X10 Pi hub, just have not done it yet because HS is doing everything I want. And because I have a home control program containing 86 devices and 127 events. None of which will transfer to HG. That would probably be a solid month or more of work for me to build the device database and develop the routines in HG.
"This aftershave makes me look fat"

racerfern

« Reply #9 on: January 01, 2019, 08:30:31 PM »

You know, when @petera commented I thought, well there's no official X10 support here either. But I decided to bite my tongue. Thank you HA Dave for keeping me from swallowing my tongue.

"Offical" X10 support on the Homeseer forum is better than the "official" X10 support here. "T" has a real tightrope to walk.

That said, both forums have users that offer a wealth of knowledge far beyond what most "official" websites offer.

Imagine, not one comment from "Authinx" concerning the PiX10Hub or for that matter anything else going on, on this forum especially the Wifi hub. Shame on them.

Kudos to @Tuicemen who has untold hundreds, no make that thousands of hours working to someone's else's benefit.

HA Dave

« Reply #10 on: January 01, 2019, 08:54:18 PM »

......I am rubbing the chin hairs, thinking about the X10 Pi hub.......

I myself may not be able to adapt to HG as I refuse to take-up a challenging new [programing] hobby. I keep hoping that the efforts here won't be left to volunteers... but instead adapted for use by X10 (just like Homeseer... but official).

because I have a home control program containing 86 devices and 127 events. None of which will transfer to HG. That would probably be a solid month or more of work for me to build the device database and develop the routines in HG.

Sometimes.... the only way you can make something better... is to tear it apart and rebuild it.

When Amazon released the DOT... and Apple included the "Home" app in their iPhone OS upgrade.... I knew I could not just sit by and let Home Automation progress without me. I bought a couple ihome (brand) devices and a DOT... and was hooked on AI. Then racerfern helped me out with his old S2. And there was no turning back. I decided to reimagine my entire setup. My setup is smaller than yours... but it was still an effort.

I made the transition in stages. I didn't try to rebuild my old setup.... and THAT was the hard part. The/MY natural inclination was to recreate everything as it was before. But instead.... I re-imagined home automation using only the technology more contemporarily available (no CM15A macros). OK... I think I still have 3 macros on a stand alone CM15A. But for the most part... what I am doing I can do with or without X10... although I already own all the X10 parts (a giant plus).

In my mind... my setup is better than before and well worth the efforts to make it anew. You might want to reconsider a HG Pi Unit. 

HA Dave

« Reply #11 on: January 01, 2019, 09:02:04 PM »

.... I decided to bite my tongue. Thank you HA Dave for keeping me from swallowing my tongue.

I've never actually tried that tongue biting thing. But I do try to keep my thoughts and words honest.

It was heart-breaking when the old X10 went belly up... and I am still sadly disappointed that the WM-100 wasn't the much anticipated X10 Hub. IMHO... The WM-100 was the too little too late.... never corrected... failure that may have killed X10.
« Last Edit: January 01, 2019, 09:29:04 PM by HA Dave »

dave w

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 139
« Reply #12 on: January 02, 2019, 08:40:18 PM »

The WM-100 was the too little too late.... never corrected... failure that may have killed X10.
Yeah, I think you may be right.

racerferns comment about not a peep from Authinx about WM100 problems and now the Pi hub, may be because the alligators have made them forget about draining the swamp.
"This aftershave makes me look fat"

Tuicemen

• Administrator
  • Helpful Post Rating: 282
  • I don't work for X10, I use it successfuly!
« Reply #13 on: March 11, 2019, 09:19:07 AM »

I decided to create a script for this, and a program in HG to do this, which can be put on a schedule to perform every X months.
Several RPi users on the old Home Genie forum found their emailings stopped after a few months and the only way to fix it was by performing an Update/Upgrade. This shouldn't happen with the PiX10Hub image as the mono version included supposedly fixes that. However that doesn't mean something else won't pop up that requires this. I also included a RPi firmware upgrade and clean up into the script. Doing a firmware upgrade requires a reboot so changes take affect, so the script will also preform that.
The script is done (took five mins to make) but the HG program (script) is still in the works. ::) :'

My off grid place just stopped emailing notifications (it's not running the PiX10Hub image). Also it seems to have maybe jumped a port as I can no longer remotely access it. I've read of others having this issue sometimes on a system reboot so I suspect that is the cause. I expect to get up later this week to check on it. Good thing the internet is up as I can see cameras and other things are still in operation so the place still is on power.
 >!
Please Read Topic:
General Forum Etiquette
Before you post!

bkenobi

• PI Expert
  • Helpful Post Rating: 24
« Reply #14 on: March 11, 2019, 11:40:51 AM »

The IP may have changed.  On my setup, when I lose power to the DSL modem it will get a new IP on restart.  I had a script in HG setup to notify me of the new IP, but unfortunately since notification is spotty, I don't always get it.  I update/upgrade last week and notifications did not return so I'll have to look further.  My test configuration is currently on Hass so I don't know if Mono 5.x is clear from this certificate issue.  I never had a HG setup on 5.4 that was all that stable though (was mostly running the BE version which doesn't run well on RPi though).
Pages: [1] 2

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.