Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: First Run  (Read 2533 times)

racerfern

• Helpful Post Rating: 6
First Run
« on: December 31, 2018, 03:49:36 PM »

I got my New RPi3 and since it's very easy for me to add an HDMI and keyboard that's how I fired it up. Immediately I got the splash screen but I couldn't do anything because at the bottom of the monitor I was being asked if I wanted to perform an update. I assume this does not display when going through Putty.

Anyways, I answered yes and when the machine finished I was left at a prompt. So...I made another image and I'm going to try again.

I can't seem to get past the initial screen with 9 options. So I'm going to try via Putty after I make another new image (not taking any chances)

Brian H

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 305
Re: First Run
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2018, 08:24:30 PM »

RPi3 or RPi3+?
I ran into issues with a RPi3 and V1.1 myself. So I will be following the thread closely.
Beta 8 installed with no hitches during early testing.

racerfern

« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2018, 09:18:49 PM »

RPi 3B+

Booting to the img was impossible beyond the first screen. Couldn't do a thing via Putty, got closer but nowhere where I should have been with a monitor and a keyboard.
What a f*****g mess. Since for now I don't have any X10 devices in the mix, I decided to abandon the pre-configured process. I installed the latest OS then separately I installed Homegenie for s***s and giggles.

I will say this, that accessing the RPi3 with HG from my main PC is lightning fast. Nothing like trying to run it in Windows 10. I may try some X10 stuff once I get comfortable with this but for now I'm up and running HG but no HA-Bridge, yet.

Through all that, having gone from AHP to HomeSeer and now to Homegenie, I'm going back to HomeSeer. For someone with an almost complete X10 system Homegenie might make sense (probably does) but with my few X10 devices sitting in boxes it just doesn't make sense to stop and learn something else. Through all this, I've got a new RPi3 B+ that I'll fool around with and see what I can mess up. That part should be easy.  :P

Homeseer is antiquated by today's GUI standards (powerful but not intuitive), Homegenie is too GUI (pretty, but difficult to get around at least for me).

Pardon the rambling on New Year's Eve. Happy New Year.

« Last Edit: December 31, 2018, 10:53:57 PM by racerfern »

Brian H

• Community Organizer
« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2019, 06:45:49 AM »

Glad to see you got what you needed running. If you have no X10 a clean instillation and not the image maybe the best way to go.

This is from memory as I didn't write down, the exact chain of events. So take it for what in maybe worth.

I also didn't get past the first screen with a monitor and keyboard method.
I did some things after the monitor went dark, like Control C and did get some garbage on the screen. I then hit return and got an invalid command but the prompt came back. Then I did a sudo raspi-config and got the configuration screen. Chose finish and then at the prompt a sudo shutdown now. Then power back up and got a little farther.

If I went the SSH route. The green activity LED flash awhile like it was starting to install. Then the LED pulsed a few times a minute and my router didn't give it an IP address. So PuTTY would not work
« Last Edit: January 01, 2019, 06:59:11 AM by Brian H »

racerfern

« Reply #4 on: January 01, 2019, 07:04:48 AM »

I have a network watcher https://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wireless_network_watcher.htmlprogram that runs in the background. Seeing a new item, I used Putty to try and get in but couldn't. I think it was because SSH hadn't been enabled (not sure which image this was. Going back and forth between images get confusing.

I also remember seeing a prompt asking me if I wanted to enable HA-Bridge. I answered no, then got a prompt asking if I wanted to delete it whereupon I also answered no. After that I still had a blank screen.

It's a new year so I'm going to try again. I'll report back.

racerfern

« Reply #5 on: January 01, 2019, 01:49:08 PM »

With an RPi 3B+ how many hoops are there to jump through? A LOT!

Downloaded NOOBS since I am a NOOB.
Installed using default with an attached KB and monitor.
Under Raspberry Pi Configuration clicked on the interfaces tab and enabled both SSH and VNC. I am also running wired with wifi off, because I can.

Installed HG by downloading from this link supplied by @petera
wget https://github.com/genielabs/HomeGenie/releases/download/v1.2-stable.30/homegenie_1.2-stable.30_all.deb
then after downloading gdebi (sorry don't remember what color hoop this was)
installed HG via
gdebi homegenie_1.2-stable.30_all.deb
This was all command line stuff

then downloaded ha-bridge-5.2.1.jar
installed via java -jar ha-bridge-5.2.1.jar
also command line stuff.

Had to go into HG configuration and change port to 8080 because HA-Bridge wants port 80, but here are both screens at the same time.

I've got some configuring to do I'm sure and I still haven't plugged in a CM15A or a z-wave device. I'm wondering how to connect one of my z-nets that are on my network.

Also, using "sudo nano config.txt" in the boot directory, I modified the file to force full resolution when I remove the HDMI monitor and kb. I will only access via VNC or Putty.

petera

• PI Expert
  • Helpful Post Rating: 27
« Reply #6 on: January 01, 2019, 02:44:51 PM »

With an RPi 3B+ how many hoops are there to jump through? A LOT!

Downloaded NOOBS since I am a NOOB.
Installed using default with an attached KB and monitor.
Under Raspberry Pi Configuration clicked on the interfaces tab and enabled both SSH and VNC. I am also running wired with wifi off, because I can.

Installed HG by downloading from this link supplied by @petera
wget https://github.com/genielabs/HomeGenie/releases/download/v1.2-stable.30/homegenie_1.2-stable.30_all.deb
then after downloading gdebi (sorry don't remember what color hoop this was)
installed HG via
gdebi homegenie_1.2-stable.30_all.deb
This was all command line stuff

then downloaded ha-bridge-5.2.1.jar
installed via java -jar ha-bridge-5.2.1.jar
also command line stuff.

Had to go into HG configuration and change port to 8080 because HA-Bridge wants port 80, but here are both screens at the same time.

I've got some configuring to do I'm sure and I still haven't plugged in a CM15A or a z-wave device. I'm wondering how to connect one of my z-nets that are on my network.

Also, using "sudo nano config.txt" in the boot directory, I modified the file to force full resolution when I remove the HDMI monitor and kb. I will only access via VNC or Putty.

I really cannot understand why Tuicemens image doesn't work out of the box for you. The blank SSH file and the wpa_supplicant.conf with your credentials dropped onto the SD card after you've created the image but before you power up the Raspberry Pi for its first run should have you running.

racerfern

« Reply #7 on: January 01, 2019, 02:51:06 PM »

I don't understand either. Someone else on this forum had issues with an RPi3B+

I do have a question now that I have you on the phone:
If I reboot the Pi HA-Bridge does not start up automatically, how do I fix that?

Brian H

• Community Organizer
« Reply #8 on: January 01, 2019, 03:29:20 PM »

petera,
I can assure you it does not work with a Pi 3B in my case.
I know Beta 8 worked. Something in a later release. I think it may have been RC1.

In my case the activity Green LED flashes a few times and it never finds the Wi-Fi router if you are going the SSH route. I know the proper information is in the wpa_supplicant.conf file.
If I go the Monitor, Keyboard way. It goes so far and then just locks up. With the Green LED occasionally giving a short burst and the monitor goes to black with no information on the screen.

petera

• PI Expert
« Reply #9 on: January 01, 2019, 03:59:21 PM »

petera,
I can assure you it does not work with a Pi 3B in my case.
I know Beta 8 worked. Something in a later release. I think it may have been RC1.

In my case the activity Green LED flashes a few times and it never finds the Wi-Fi router if you are going the SSH route. I know the proper information is in the wpa_supplicant.conf file.
If I go the Monitor, Keyboard way. It goes so far and then just locks up. With the Green LED occasionally giving a short burst and the monitor goes to black with no information on the screen.

That has all the signs of a bad image write.

Have you tried connecting an Ethernet cable to your raspberry Pi prior to powering it up. This method will immediately connect you to your router and from there you could manually configure your wifi connection.

Brian H

• Community Organizer
« Reply #10 on: January 01, 2019, 06:40:50 PM »

I mentioned it in the testers forums. It was acknowledged. As maybe when we updated the way the installation was being done.

I believe RC1 was where I mentioned it and V1.1 acts exactly the same. So I don't think it is a corrupt image.
7Zip's test archive found no errors when the zip file tested.

Does not work with Ethernet either. Sits there and the activity LED occasionally flashed but it never got far enough to get an IP address to SSH to.

Beta 8 worked 100% Ethernet or Monitor and Keyboard.

Have you have a chance to try it on a Pi 3B or Pi 3B+ that may show something. 

As I am not the only one reporting problems. I think there maybe a installation quirk with other than a Pi Zero W.
« Last Edit: January 01, 2019, 06:56:23 PM by Brian H »

petera

• PI Expert
« Reply #11 on: January 01, 2019, 07:12:42 PM »

I mentioned it in the testers forums. It was acknowledged. As maybe when we updated the way the installation was being done.

I believe RC1 was where I mentioned it and V1.1 acts exactly the same. So I don't think it is a corrupt image.
7Zip's test archive found no errors when the zip file tested.

Does not work with Ethernet either. Sits there and the activity LED occasionally flashed but it never got far enough to get an IP address to SSH to.

Beta 8 worked 100% Ethernet or Monitor and Keyboard.

Have you have a chance to try it on a Pi 3B or Pi 3B+ that may show something. 

As I am not the only one reporting problems. I think there maybe a installation quirk with other than a Pi Zero W.

Tuicemen has a number of scripts he constructed and one of these may well be causing the issue with installing on a standard Raspberry Pi. The installation image he created was originally based around the Raspberry Pi Zero W and was confirmed to work.

To be honest if I were you I'd try installing the Raspbian OS on your standard Raspberry Pi using instructions I posted a while back. Basically it follows

1. Download, extract and install the OS using Etcher
2. Before first powering up your Raspberry Pi create a blank text file named SSH and a file called wpa_supplicant.conf with all your wifi credentials OR forget about those two files and just plug your ethernet cable into your Pi and power it up.
3. Once powered up you have Raspbian OS running your Pi and you can install both HG and HA Bridge yourself

This is just a basic outline of what you would need to do. More detailed instructions have been previously posted already

Brian H

• Community Organizer
« Reply #12 on: January 01, 2019, 07:32:21 PM »

That sounds like a possibility. I do remember the scripts being mentioned.
Thank you for the tips.
« Last Edit: January 01, 2019, 07:34:38 PM by Brian H »

petera

• PI Expert
« Reply #13 on: January 01, 2019, 07:40:43 PM »

That sounds like a possibility. I do remember the scripts being mentioned.
Thank you for the tips.

If you've now become more familiar with the Raspbian OS and are confident enough this would be the way to go. I did a quick search for my original post on how to do this and it seems to have disappeared. If you do decide to go this route I can redo it.

In the meantime you could plug a HDMI cable into your Pi and monitor and watch what comes up on the screen. You should be able to see where it hangs assuming Tuicemen didn't turn off the TTY console output. If you do this and see something report back on the result.

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.