Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: RIP, WM100?  (Read 8114 times)

ceedee

• Helpful Post Rating: 5
RIP, WM100?
« on: January 06, 2019, 03:00:07 PM »

Tuicemen,
Is the WM effectively dead?  Seems that way.

Chris

dave w

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 139
Re: RIP, WM100?
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2019, 03:21:47 PM »

My two cents is NO. At least not yet.
I don't think "we" on the forum really knows how much Authinx is selling. Although I doubt this, but Authinx *could* have sold several hundred of these things, and a lot of owners, not familiar with this forum may be happy with them as a WiFi remote control.
Tuicemen communicates with Authix and would have a more accurate feel. But without knowing how many Willys have been sold, and how many bread and butter Appliance and Lamp modules are being sold monthly, which will spur the sale of Willys, my guess is Nope, ain't dead.
"This aftershave makes me look fat"

ceedee

• Helpful Post Rating: 5
Re: RIP, WM100
« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2019, 03:51:25 PM »

Fair enough. I’d love to go the Pi route, but I don’t have a CM, and I’m sure that they won’t take back my WM.  While I could use some of the features that are broken, it mostly works.  My biggest fear is that the app & firmware will be updated a week after I ditch the beast and go Pi.

brobin

• Helpful Post Rating: 157
« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2019, 03:52:02 PM »

Not dead but not very useful either. Sort of like some of us old guys around here.  rofl

SkipWX10

• Helpful Post Rating: 1
« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2019, 03:59:27 PM »

Agree, not dead but truly a glorified phone app remote...which I have to admit I like since my phone is always in my pocket, unlike a Palm Pad....so, I hope they keep supporting it and it's servers.

The best thing that could happen first, in my mind, in it's current state anyway, would be to give it 'local' control over the 'local' wi-fi network and not require Authinx servers

Tuicemen

• Administrator
  • Helpful Post Rating: 282
  • I don't work for X10, I use it successfuly!
« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2019, 04:39:27 PM »

The WM100 isn't dead however like any newborn it's growth depends on how much it is feed. Sadly Authinix doesn't have control of that nor does it appear they will have any time soon. :( :(
I wouldn't ditch the WM100 as much as just put it aside until it starts to grow again. The WM100 will never have RF so going the PI route will get you what you want in the fastest time possible.
the software on the PiX10Hub has had over 30 upgrades since first being created and the developers are currently busy working on adding more options.
True the software is nothing new and has been arround for some time but these are growing.
Perhaps when the WM100 app developer realizes they too are risking going hungry some movement will happen.

Truth be told the WM100 was/is a proof of concept much like my Pi embedded CM15A the only difference is the WM100 has stalled. Even if the WM100 software was to regain development it needs a hardware upgrade for RF to provide the advantages that provides.
As well the CM15A needs an upgrade to provide the PLC punch of the WM100. I'm confident both will receive these but which one gets it first will most likely depend on demand  ::) :'
Please Read Topic:
General Forum Etiquette
Before you post!

racerfern

• Helpful Post Rating: 6
« Reply #6 on: January 06, 2019, 05:12:22 PM »

but which one gets it first will most likely depend on demand
In this case, I think it's the other way around. Authinx, I'm sure knows where the demand will be. Which one are they going to put their development dollars behind?

IMO it would be a lot easier and make more sense to give an RF upgrade to the CM15A. There are far more 15As out there that will never get plugged into a PiZero. If and when Authinx does this, they need to be able to bring the signal across both sides of the wiring by selling a package that is easy to install without people being told they need to buy another piece.

My 2¢

Tuicemen

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: January 06, 2019, 05:53:35 PM »

Authinx, I'm sure knows where they hope the demand will be. rofl
 ;)
A upgrade to the CM15A to a better RF and PLC  would be the best option as It hopefully would not change the protocol and definitely should not require a new case.

A upgrade to the WM to simply include RF would require a new case as the unit is currently packed tight it would also require new software as the current developer holds the protocol and there are no other applications that can currently talk to it.
Please Read Topic:
General Forum Etiquette
Before you post!

Noam

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 51
Re: RIP, WM100
« Reply #8 on: January 07, 2019, 09:22:02 AM »

... and I’m sure that they won’t take back my WM.  ...
It doesn't hurt to try. If you contact them, and simply tell them that it doesn't work as advertised (no battery-backed clock, so timers are useless if there is a power interruption, for example), you might be able to get them to issue you an RMA and a refund. At worst, you will spend a few minutes trying - and be no worse off than you are now (if they don't let you return it).

brobin

• Helpful Post Rating: 157
« Reply #9 on: January 07, 2019, 11:32:39 AM »

If they won't give you a refund ask them to take it back in trade for a CM15A and then use the PiX10Hub with it.

Tuicemen

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: January 07, 2019, 11:36:14 AM »

If they won't give you a refund ask them to take it back in trade for a CM15A and then use the PiX10Hub with it.
rofl
That just might work! ::) :'
Please Read Topic:
General Forum Etiquette
Before you post!

Tuicemen

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: January 23, 2019, 08:38:59 AM »

My WM100s will soon become door stops. :( at least put away in my rubbermaid bin with my other unused X10 devices.
If/when a new app/firmware release comes out I may again play with it but some how I doubt it.
With the Chinese new year fast aproaching and the speed of the last updates coming I don't expect I'd be playing with these again till next year. B:(
Please Read Topic:
General Forum Etiquette
Before you post!

HA Dave

• Helpful Post Rating: 175
« Reply #12 on: January 23, 2019, 11:52:09 AM »

Once again.....

The WM-100 is a wonderful remote control. It was unfortunately.... created with a total lack of vision. It solved a problem that existed years past. Todays automation requires exploitation of todays technology. And with an eye on what can be accomplished tomorrow.
Home Automation is an always changing technology

Tuicemen

• Administrator
« Reply #13 on: January 23, 2019, 12:23:05 PM »

It was unfortunately.... created with a total lack of vision.
Actually the vision was there! It was never intended to be just a glorified remote. We've all seen the slow progress of just getting simple bugs in the software fixed. The age of AI is on us and the tiny computers that communicate to a central hub need software that works. Authinx needs a developer that understands this and knows how to code for it no matter what project they consider going forward. The WM100 has a tinny computer sadly the manufacture and developer don't know how to utilize and make the best of it.
Please Read Topic:
General Forum Etiquette
Before you post!

JeffVolp

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 122
    • XTB Home Page
« Reply #14 on: January 23, 2019, 03:48:31 PM »

The WM100 has a tinny computer sadly the manufacture and developer don't know how to utilize and make the best of it.

The hardware is also crippled by being based on a wireless transceiver that only supports standard PalmPad commands.

Jeff
X-10 automation since the BSR days
Pages: [1] 2 3

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.