Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: RIP, WM100?  (Read 8110 times)

HA Dave

• Helpful Post Rating: 175
Re: RIP, WM100?
« Reply #30 on: February 02, 2019, 02:59:08 PM »

….. I just don't like it relying on a "cloud" server.

I know..... but the very best Home Automation available... IS cloud based. I don't know about the Internet in other places. But around here.... we've had high speed broadband for about 20 years. It's as reliable as TV, Radio, and the electric power. For me.... the only way my setup can give me more control... is if I turn that control over to the cloud.

….Well, based on HA Dave's comment  http://forums.x10.com/index.php?topic=30795.msg180597#msg180597 ,  lets take up a collection and send the developer a case of wine from Napa valley (or maybe a couple pints of white lightning) .  Sneaking through China customs might be a problem...maybe a couple of bottles in the box to the attention of "CUSTOMS". rofl

I knew a guy who was hired for a consultation by someone who had a specific old car to restore (The guy I knew was an expert on that particular car). Sometimes.... you just need to accept what you don't know.... and ask an expert. I could be completely wrong..... but I get the impression that the new X10 needed to consult with someone more experienced with product development in China.
Home Automation is an always changing technology

Tuicemen

• Administrator
  • Helpful Post Rating: 282
  • I don't work for X10, I use it successfuly!
« Reply #31 on: February 02, 2019, 03:35:25 PM »

I get the impression that the new X10 needed to consult with someone more experienced with product development in China.[/b]
They certainly definitely shouldn't have went with the manufacture X10WTI used for this. ::) :'
Please Read Topic:
General Forum Etiquette
Before you post!

dhouston

• Advanced Member
  • Helpful Post Rating: 37
    • davehouston.org
« Reply #32 on: February 02, 2019, 04:24:57 PM »

I get the impression that the new X10 needed to consult with someone more experienced with product development in China.
They certainly definitely shouldn't have went with the manufacture X10WTI used for this. ::) :'
Meet the new boss
Same as the old boss
https://www.azlyrics.com/lyrics/who/wontgetfooledagain.html
This message was composed entirely from recycled letters of the alphabet using only renewable, caffeinated energy sources.
No twees, wabbits, chimps or whales died in the process.
https://www.laser.com/dhouston

HA Dave

« Reply #33 on: February 03, 2019, 10:39:22 AM »

I don't know. I can solder... but that's about it. I didn't even crack open the case of my WM-100. But of those in-the-know about such hardware products here at this forum.... had good things to say about the WM-100..... as a hardware product.

I think "the new X10" failed to realize that Home Automation is a mixture of hardware and software. And they needed their own "in-house" experts for BOTH. I don't believe they ever considered their own servers.... either in-house (in Texas?) or elsewhere. Even the OLD CM15A was dependent on Internet connectivity for full functionally. Everybody knows Home Automation is a part of cutting edge tech. It always has been and likely always will be.

I bet X10 could still rescue the WM-100. With a  hired China expert representative, to help them make amends in China. And then fix and update the WM-100's with the oversight, and input from an in-house code writer.

dave w

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 139
« Reply #34 on: February 03, 2019, 04:00:53 PM »

But around here.... we've had high speed broadband for about 20 years. It's as reliable as TV, Radio, and the electric power.
Good for you, which is why you are always touting "the cloud". Consider your self fortunate.

However, every time we get an all day rain, our cable system becomes hit or miss for a day. TV becomes pixelated, dial tone may or may not be there, and internet is the same...maybe - maybe not. Yes I have complained to our cable company...in writing.
"System has been neglected for years, and now we are trying to upgrade as fast as we can..." blah, blah, blah, is their answers. 

Ten years ago Verizon said they would have FIOS here, in two years. Then Verizon decided they wanted to buy a few more cell phone companies and the FCC said "then divest some of your wired system". And Frontier bought our local phone system...goodbye FIOS. 

Which is why we can't put all our eggs in "the cloud" basket. 
"This aftershave makes me look fat"

dhouston

• Advanced Member
  • Helpful Post Rating: 37
    • davehouston.org
« Reply #35 on: February 03, 2019, 04:26:14 PM »

But of those in-the-know about such hardware products here at this forum.... had good things to say about the WM-100..... as a hardware product.
I think most of those in-the-know became in-the-NO upon further examination of the hardware.
This message was composed entirely from recycled letters of the alphabet using only renewable, caffeinated energy sources.
No twees, wabbits, chimps or whales died in the process.
https://www.laser.com/dhouston

HA Dave

« Reply #36 on: February 03, 2019, 06:26:22 PM »

…. Good for you, which is why you are always touting "the cloud". Consider your self fortunate. ……….

I've always considered myself fortunate.... long before the internet. But yes... globally most population centers (AKA cities) have solid high speed broadband. It explains the 50 million AI devices sold in America alone.

………. we can't put all our eggs in "the cloud" basket.

No. And, I wouldn't put all my home automation dependency in a single technology either. Nor would I want to miss out on the newest and best of Home Automation either. Note... if you lose (or pull the plug on) Internet service.... most devices merely sit quietly and wait for a reconnection.

arizona480

• Helpful Post Rating: 2
« Reply #37 on: February 04, 2019, 11:52:56 AM »

At least the server hasn't been down in awhile...well, at least when I needed it. …………. none of the lights came on automatically until I made contact with the hub.

It's easy to find crappy things to post about the new WM-100. But realistically.... it's the best remote control X10 ever made... and X10 was a leader in remote controls some time ago. Modems, routers, Hubs (garage doors, Internet phones, Home Automation device, etc.).... modern-day electronic sometimes do require more than a passive tolerance. Hubs can require a little active programming, updates and such. I don't think the WM-100 is so much of an effort to keep working. If it just did a little more... went that one step further... and had an Amazon Alexa "skill"...………...THAT would be.... would have been... a game changer.
I agree with you there, I enjoy the WM 100, as long as the server stays put and works at least 99.9% of the time.  That time sync is annoying as I have one smartphone that pulls it's time from the T-Mobile network and another smartphone that stays at home and uses WiFi that does not have a way to keep it's clock perfectly.  So the app is always complaining about the 30 sec average offset.
Pages: 1 2 [3]

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.