Cm19
- 1 (8.3%)
Cm17
- 0 (0%)
Other?
- 0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 11

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Who is using or tried the PXH image?  (Read 4031 times)

Tuicemen

• Administrator
  • Helpful Post Rating: 282
  • I don't work for X10, I use it successfuly!
Who is using or tried the PXH image?
« on: January 19, 2019, 09:30:35 AM »

Several like my self wonder, How many x10 users have at least tried the image and with what x10 interface?
I included the cm17 because there is an addon which apparently allows it to be integrated into HG.
Some have tested this with several interfaces but l'm just interested in which your currently using.
Authinx has shown some interest in this project and has an idea of creating a new module similar to my cm15/ZeroW mod which puts a Pi inside the Cm15. I realize some have moved on to a more powerful Pi which this image doesn't work with but if your using a pi for X10 please still vote. The community that helped create this wonders if we wasted our time helping bring X10 to the Pi world for the rest of you! ::)
 >!
Please Read Topic:
General Forum Etiquette
Before you post!

Brian H

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 305
Re: Who is using or tried the PXH image?
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2019, 07:24:48 AM »

I tried and tested the PiX10HUB with the Pi Zero W and Pi 3B. CM15A was the X10 controller.
My primary protocol is Insteon with a Primary X10 address in the modules. With an ISY994i.
So I have tested it but it is not my primary protocol in use.

Tuicemen

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2019, 08:36:52 AM »

I actually have the PXH running on two Zero Ws. One is with a CM19 and is basically set as a Alexa Hub using the HG Echo Bridge. I also have a Zwave dongle attach to this for control of the few Zwave modules I have in use.

The second is on a Cm15 and set for remote access. Since the Echo Bridge fails to work with HG password protection enabled (right now) I require the two. Actually I could use HA-Bridge for Alexa control on this but find the echo bridge much more reliable and faster.

I have a Pi 3B+ at my off grid place which runs HG but not this image it is connected to a Cm15. This one is also set for remote access. The 3B+ also acts as a streaming device so it is running Raspbian Stretch full (desktop version)instead of the lite version which the PXH uses.

I'd love to see Authinx come out with a new module with the PL power of the WM100 but with a SBC like the pi inside. End users could decide what software to use just like they can now for the existing CM modules.

Please Read Topic:
General Forum Etiquette
Before you post!

petera

• PI Expert
  • Helpful Post Rating: 27
« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2019, 09:44:17 AM »

I don't see any financial gain for a commercial entity to tool up for the production of a purely X10 focussed unit you describe. Potential unit sales in my opinion wouldn't justify it. Possibly a unit that would include support for X10 but would need to include many other protocols might just succeed.

A concept like you describe would be better suited to someone operating from their home workshop and building units to order. This flexibility would allow for a more "hands on" development approach in conjunction with an already established user base in the shape of this forum's membership or similar.

Personally, I think a well speced Raspberry Pi and a decent X10 controller would more than fill the requirements of any X10 user. My personal recommendation for reliability and flexibility is the Raspberry Pi 3b+ and a CM19.

While the aim at the outset of the project was to protect potential users from the Linux command line, I was pleased to see a number of users take the plunge and as a result now have their own personally tailored setup and are already expanding their setup beyond the original ideals of the project.

If Authinx intend to pursue an idea like this I highly recommend they employ an experienced systems designer/programmer and present them with a set goals from the outset so as to avoid the mistakes made when producing the WM100. Maybe then they could look at the commercial viability of a venture like that.

In the meantime the Raspberry Pi and X10 controller combination is doing nicely thank you. >!

Tuicemen

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2019, 10:15:06 AM »

As much as I'd love to see a new X10 Module with SBC I can't see it happening either.
I suspect it is just a matter of time before someone hacks the WM100 when that happens I hope it can be implemented into Pi software. For now my pi ZeroW boards work just fine with either the Cm19 or Cm15 however my preferred controller (for now) is the Cm15.
 I agree the most reliable and flexible Pi is the 3B+ but I have to disagree with the Cm19 as the best controller. The Cm15 beats it hands down (at least here)
I guess if I didn't need to see PL signals a Cm19 and pi would be OK, but then I'd still need extra hardware to put the RF onto the PL .
>!
Please Read Topic:
General Forum Etiquette
Before you post!

Geewiz

• Helpful Post Rating: 1
« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2019, 10:36:16 AM »

I definitely want to migrate from my PC based system to the Raspberry 3 B+ platform.  I started out with the Pi Zero and Tuicemen's ISO, but could not get a reliable command response over the wireless connection.  I then tried starting from scratch on the 3 B+ but, given my lack of general knowledge working with Linux, hit some roadblocks.   Given that I have the 3 B+ plugged directly into a network switch, the speed and reliability seemed to be every bit as good as on the PC system. 
I'm going to start over and see how far I can get.   

If I can get HomeGenie and Alexa working on the 3 B+, and have the X10 devices picked up in Smartthings, I'll be very happy.

Given Tuicemen's description of his 3 B+ setup, it seems this should be doable? 

As for somehow incorporating the an SBC into the CM15 housing, that is a low priority for me. 

petera

• PI Expert
« Reply #6 on: January 20, 2019, 12:00:47 PM »

If I can get HomeGenie and Alexa working on the 3 B+, and have the X10 devices picked up in Smartthings, I'll be very happy.

That shouldn't be an issue. The EchoBridge is a Hue emulator so that looks after all your X10 modules/devices.

What type of devices are you using in Smart Things that actually requires using Smart Things in the first place.

Tuicemen

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: January 20, 2019, 01:28:30 PM »

Geewiz, with Smartthings implemented Alexa & Google contol would be automatic.
I had started to play with adding HG to SmartThings (I even created a devicehandler) however since I don't use my google home
mini for automation I stopped playing with the concept.
Please Read Topic:
General Forum Etiquette
Before you post!

Geewiz

• Helpful Post Rating: 1
« Reply #8 on: January 20, 2019, 02:47:57 PM »

That shouldn't be an issue. The EchoBridge is a Hue emulator so that looks after all your X10 modules/devices.

What type of devices are you using in Smart Things that actually requires using Smart Things in the first place.

I'm afraid I don't understand enough to give you a clear answer.  I only know that all my X10 devices are controllable through the Smartthings app, so everything is available in one interface.   I always assumed it was the presence of HA-Bridge/Alex10 that made the X10 devices discoverable by ST.

petera

• PI Expert
« Reply #9 on: January 20, 2019, 03:19:00 PM »

I'm afraid I don't understand enough to give you a clear answer.  I only know that all my X10 devices are controllable through the Smartthings app, so everything is available in one interface.   I always assumed it was the presence of HA-Bridge/Alex10 that made the X10 devices discoverable by ST.

Are you talking about some form of Windows setup. Not needed with this setup.

Maybe at some stage in a new post if you could lay out exactly what devices you have hardware wise and exactly what you are trying to achieve here you could be mildly surprised that you don't in fact need Smart Things at all.

HG would be well capable of doing everything you require under one roof.

Tuicemen

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: January 20, 2019, 04:03:39 PM »

@Geewiz Alex10 nor HA-Bridge is what made x10 devices appear in ST. If you were using my Smartcloud program it was that. If you don't have google home devices you can use the new Alexa app to control your devices from your phone which would be faster then the HG app or SmartThings. If you have a SmartThings hub I understand your wishing to use the SmartThings app. The SmartThings device handler I created for HG should do what you wish.  A link to that device handler can be found on my forum. If I remember right (once setup) you just need to point existing modules to use it instead of the x10 handler I created.
Please Read Topic:
General Forum Etiquette
Before you post!

petera

• PI Expert
« Reply #11 on: January 20, 2019, 04:16:34 PM »

There's an awful lot of bridges and handlers going on there Tuicemen  :) I was starting to get confused as to what bridge to cross and what handler to hold on to. :)%

I was just curious as to what hardware Geewiz had and how much of it could be integrated into HG with the minimum of fuss and where possible without the aid of 3rd party intervention. A working EchoBridge had already eliminated the need for the HA Bridge server.

Should be interesting to see what else can be integrated into HG and how many hubs could be done away with once it's established what hardware users possess.

Tuicemen

• Administrator
« Reply #12 on: January 20, 2019, 05:15:31 PM »

There's an awful lot of bridges and handlers going on there Tuicemen  :) I was starting to get confused as to what bridge to cross and what handler to hold on to. :)%
LOL
 There are a lot of options for sure. The cool thing is just about all can be made to work with HG if one wished.

I would imagine the Echo Bridge would have worked for Google Home had Google not switched to cloud only connections. SmartThings is cloud based so nothing gets added to HG or the device it runs on. It talks to HG via the HG API no extra server required.

The Echo Bridge only eliminated the Alexa control HA-Bridge made possible, it has not eliminated my need for the additional options HA-Bridge supplies. :(
Please Read Topic:
General Forum Etiquette
Before you post!

hpm

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
« Reply #13 on: January 21, 2019, 05:07:00 AM »

The PiX10 image works adequately well using a CM15a interface, but the unsupervised shutdown of the Raspberry Pi does indeed corrupt the sd card. The lack of a reliable auto-restart (even with a UPS) makes it unusable for my purposes.  I guess an ISY994i is the best solution since the WM100 turned out to be a dismal failure.
Thanks for your efforts which have kept my 76 year old mind alert for a few days longer.

petera

• PI Expert
« Reply #14 on: January 21, 2019, 06:37:40 AM »

The PiX10 image works adequately well using a CM15a interface, but the unsupervised shutdown of the Raspberry Pi does indeed corrupt the sd card. The lack of a reliable auto-restart (even with a UPS) makes it unusable for my purposes.  I guess an ISY994i is the best solution since the WM100 turned out to be a dismal failure.
Thanks for your efforts which have kept my 76 year old mind alert for a few days longer.

The unsupervised shutdown you refer to doesn't necessarily corrupt the SD card. It's just advised that you stop the homegenie service prior to unplugging the Raspberry Pi. I've unplugged the Raspberry Pi while HG is running many times without any adverse effects.

Of course you could transfer your setup to a USB key attach it to your Raspberry Pi and boot from there. The standard Raspberry Pi woukd suit better for that. That's another option.

Regarding an auto start, one simple line added to the homegenie.service file would overcome this. In the event of HG crashing the line "Restart=always" will immediately restart the homegenie service.

I'd hate to see you not continuing to use the PiX10 for the reasons you outline when there are clearly solutions to your concerns.
Pages: [1] 2

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.