Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Homegenie Mini?  (Read 2432 times)

Tuicemen

• Administrator
  • Helpful Post Rating: 282
  • I don't work for X10, I use it successfuly!
Homegenie Mini?
« on: February 17, 2019, 05:30:46 PM »

Seems Gene has been busy putting this little gem together behind the scenes.
https://youtu.be/CovB1jl3980

It has been released as a DIY project https://github.com/genielabs/homegenie-mini
Please Read Topic:
General Forum Etiquette
Before you post!

Tuicemen

• Administrator
Re: Homegenie Mini?
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2021, 05:44:40 PM »

I had a chance to put together a simple variation of this today.
I looked over the HG_mini Gerber files and found it is possible to use a basic PCB no need to get one made. Doing this I was able to create a HG-Mini for under $20 CD, however I didn't add the sensors or RF.
I wasn't expecting much firing this up but the HG app does see it and you can add X10 devices even without the RF board attached of coarse they don't do any thing, the light and temperature sensor also display as does the GPIO pins, but again nothing usable with out them attached.
What I am a bit disappointed in is no Web UI. there are 2 ports used but the one displays 'Not found: /' (possibly due to nothing sensors or RF connected), the other displays 'This is a Websocket server only!' :(

I'm not sure what I was expecting from this or if any one would really find this useful. For me the build was a learning experience but I'll flash the firmware with something else.
Please Read Topic:
General Forum Etiquette
Before you post!

bkenobi

• PI Expert
  • Helpful Post Rating: 24
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2021, 07:18:59 PM »

Wow, it certainly looks like you've come up with a great alternative to expensive printed boards.  Maybe you could try installing a DHT or some other type of sensor(s) onto the GPIO so that you can get it working in a fully functional way.  Perhaps the WebUI will start up once you have the hardware fully featured.  Considering the investment of time and components, it seems silly not to take the last step getting it fully functional.   #:) >!

dhouston

• Advanced Member
  • Helpful Post Rating: 37
    • davehouston.org
« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2021, 05:40:34 AM »

Wow, it certainly looks like you've come up with a great alternative to expensive printed boards.
I don't mean to steal the thread but there is a fairly inexpensive way to get a few printed boards.

https://docs.oshpark.com/services/two-layer/

I'm getting 3 of my 1.096" x 1.008" D1 mini shield boards for $5.55 including free postage. That's less than $2 each and perfect for proving a design.
« Last Edit: February 17, 2021, 06:24:24 AM by dhouston »
This message was composed entirely from recycled letters of the alphabet using only renewable, caffeinated energy sources.
No twees, wabbits, chimps or whales died in the process.
https://www.laser.com/dhouston

Tuicemen

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2021, 09:58:43 AM »

Wow, it certainly looks like you've come up with a great alternative to expensive printed boards.  Maybe you could try installing a DHT or some other type of sensor(s) onto the GPIO so that you can get it working in a fully functional way.  Perhaps the WebUI will start up once you have the hardware fully featured.  Considering the investment of time and components, it seems silly not to take the last step getting it fully functional.   #:) >!
I had though of adding a DHT11 as I have a few on hand and I can see value for adding temperature readings. The light sensor on the other hand I can't see a use for. Maybe if someone could post a couple of uses I'd order a few.
« Last Edit: February 17, 2021, 10:34:57 AM by Tuicemen »
Please Read Topic:
General Forum Etiquette
Before you post!

bkenobi

• PI Expert
  • Helpful Post Rating: 24
« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2021, 03:19:00 PM »

Light sensors can be really useful. The X10 motion sensors have a preconfigured threshold so you get a trigger when X10 thinks it's important.  If you have a luminescence sensor in each room with controlled lights, you can control lighting based on actual light level rather than a generic value. If heavy clouds roll by, the lights could turn on for a few minutes as you seem helpful. Maybe this could be coupled with a room presence sensor.

Tuicemen

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2021, 11:26:44 AM »

Light sensors can be really useful. The X10 motion sensors have a preconfigured threshold so you get a trigger when X10 thinks it's important.  If you have a luminescence sensor in each room with controlled lights, you can control lighting based on actual light level rather than a generic value. If heavy clouds roll by, the lights could turn on for a few minutes as you seem helpful. Maybe this could be coupled with a room presence sensor.
Thanks bkenobi,
You got me thinking a bit more on the usefulness of a light sensor. I guess I hadn't pondered this long enough :-[
I ordered a few of these as well as the temperature sensor, some x10 RF boards and a few other useful gadgets. sadly these won't arrive for this HA season :( but maybe a rainy day). I might as well have 1 HG mini since I went about playing with a basic PC board approach. ;)
Please Read Topic:
General Forum Etiquette
Before you post!

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.