Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Which(outside) security camera(s) worked best for you  (Read 5703 times)

Mic_

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
Which(outside) security camera(s) worked best for you
« on: March 02, 2019, 12:23:43 AM »

Got a question for you all

Which outside security camera(s) have you found that works the best for you; Ethernet, POE, IP, or POE with IP interface? Thanks

brobin

• Helpful Post Rating: 157
Re: Which(outside) security camera(s) worked best for you
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2019, 04:50:32 AM »

When my house was built 5 years ago the camera locations were wired with both coax and CAT6E so I was free to choose. I went with IP cams with POE to eliminate the need for a power wire. It's worked out well. I use a separate Gigabit POE switch for the camera which is also connected to the router and the NVR.

racerfern

• Helpful Post Rating: 6
« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2019, 08:33:34 AM »

@brobin - I'm re-doing my outside area so everything is torn up. I'm thinking of a IP also. Which camera and NVR do you have?

Mic_

« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2019, 09:46:33 AM »

I have a few POE cams coming. Are they connected (by wire) back to the router, where they get their power?

racerfern

• Helpful Post Rating: 6
« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2019, 10:48:40 AM »

My current system is proprietary but it is POE. Mine are powered directly from the NVR. One wire supplies power and sends the camera signal back to the NVR. It really is a very nice system but it is difficult to access from anywhere unless I use their app, hence my desire to switch to a true IP system.

Regardless, IP POE can go to a POE router or to the NVR. Non IP will probably have to go directly to the NVR.

There are also WiFi cameras but you still have to get power out to them so to me why run power and not have it wired.

brobin

« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2019, 11:30:10 AM »

@brobin - I'm re-doing my outside area so everything is torn up. I'm thinking of a IP also. Which camera and NVR do you have?
My cameras (all 2MP), POE switch and NVR are from USG which was sold by Amazon. They all work well after 4 years but I did have to replace the POE switch about 6 months ago. Some NVR's come with the POE switch built in but I prefer separate units so if one fails you only have to replace that component. Amcrest seems to be a good brand and if I were upgrading I'd give them a close look.  I have mostly dome cameras but I'd go with bullet cams next time. the domes reflect the IR night vision LEDs off any dirt, scratches or water spots on the dome making them almost worthless at night after the first year. The domes can be polished or replaced but that's a royal PITA if they're mounted up high. i'm too old and fat to be scurrying up ladders on a regular basis. While 2MP was the best available 4 years ago there are even better ones up to or exceeding 5MP.

brobin

« Reply #6 on: March 02, 2019, 11:32:50 AM »

I have a few POE cams coming. Are they connected (by wire) back to the router, where they get their power?
They are connected by an Ethernet cable back to a POE switch. the POE switch connects to the router and has a power supply to provide power on the non-signal pairs in the Ethernet cable. See: http://pinoutguide.com/Net/poe_pinout.shtml

Mic_

« Reply #7 on: March 02, 2019, 02:09:18 PM »

Got it. Thanks

brobin

« Reply #8 on: March 02, 2019, 04:10:21 PM »

One other thing - for maximum flexibility choose cams that are ONVIF compliant.

Mic_

« Reply #9 on: March 03, 2019, 01:27:22 PM »

Forgive my ignorance; ONVIF?

brobin

« Reply #10 on: March 03, 2019, 02:18:20 PM »

Basically, it's a standard that provides connectivity between devices from different manufacturers. Wikipedia explains it better than I can:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ONVIF

HA Dave

• Helpful Post Rating: 175
« Reply #11 on: March 03, 2019, 06:28:08 PM »

My current system is proprietary but it is POE. Mine are powered directly from the NVR. One wire supplies power and sends the camera signal back to the NVR. It really is a very nice system but it is difficult to access from anywhere unless I use their app, ......

I have a similar setup.... but I am more than content with the app access. Of course if I want to review video footage... I do that at the DVR setup itself. When I have work done in or around the home I later capture "worker footage" and save that to a thumb drive (along with a text file description). I mostly use the app for checking on unexpected alerts.

Basically, it's a standard that provides connectivity between devices from different manufacturers. ….

I've seriously considered "adding" indoor motion sensing cameras to this setup. I am think Amazon compliant. But... it doesn't bother me to run two separate and different systems. I do understand the desire to "centralize" a system. I am just comfortable with it all being a little loosely-goosey (I think that's the correct term)
Home Automation is an always changing technology

Mic_

« Reply #12 on: March 03, 2019, 10:57:05 PM »

Well said

IPS

• Helpful Post Rating: 3
« Reply #13 on: March 24, 2019, 05:37:19 AM »

I have been using foscam ip cameras for few years but they are ageing and need to be replaced. I won’t be replacing them with the same brand. I had too many of them fail in short time. Originally were very good but after the USA dealer split and started selling Amcrest, i find it is not worth it. So now am looking for replacements.

Tuicemen

• Administrator
  • Helpful Post Rating: 282
  • I don't work for X10, I use it successfuly!
« Reply #14 on: March 24, 2019, 09:15:22 AM »

My indoor Foscam has just failed as has my indoor beta X10 Links camera. So I now find myself looking for 2 new indoor cameras.However I hope I can revive one or both. ::) :'
Both provided good picture quality as does all my X10 Airsights (indoor and outdoor).
Most IP cameras now are HD which supply excellent picture quality.
I prefer a camera that doesn't require an app to view, but does have that option.
I also don't wish to go the NVR route.
 >!
Please Read Topic:
General Forum Etiquette
Before you post!
Pages: [1] 2

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.