Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Which(outside) security camera(s) worked best for you  (Read 5705 times)

Mic_

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
Re: Which(outside) security camera(s) worked best for you
« Reply #15 on: March 24, 2019, 10:57:04 AM »

Has anyone used POE cams with IP interface? If so, have you had success with such?

brobin

• Helpful Post Rating: 157
« Reply #16 on: March 24, 2019, 11:12:44 AM »

I have 10 POE IP outdoor cams attached to an NVR plus a couple of Foscam R4's for indoors. The cams can be accessed directly or through the NVR. I have a total of about 70 devices on my network and found that after installing the cams I needed to replace my old router and primary switch with ones with gigabit capability to resolve TV streaming pixelation. Once that was done it's been solid as a rock for almost 4 years now.

My setup uses a separate NVR and POE switch so if one fails only that part has to be replaced. The no-name POE switch did fail about a year ago and replacement was simple and required no new setup of the NVR.

TIP: Outdoor dome cams with IR can become worthless at night if the domes get dirty/scratched (as they will) because the IR reflects off the inside of the dome. (Ask me how I know!) Use bullet cams instead.

Tuicemen

• Administrator
  • Helpful Post Rating: 282
  • I don't work for X10, I use it successfuly!
« Reply #17 on: March 24, 2019, 12:49:31 PM »

TIP: Outdoor dome cams with IR can become worthless at night if the domes get dirty/scratched (as they will) because the IR reflects off the inside of the dome. (Ask me how I know!) Use bullet cams instead.
I have 2 Old Easyn outdoor cameras like that, however my X10 Outdoor PTZ cameras have the IR outside the dome and get a good night view.
I did replace the dooms on the Easyn cameras with tinted ones which seem to work better.
Please Read Topic:
General Forum Etiquette
Before you post!

brobin

« Reply #18 on: March 24, 2019, 03:51:17 PM »

I have 2 Old Easyn outdoor cameras like that, however my X10 Outdoor PTZ cameras have the IR outside the dome and get a good night view.
I did replace the dooms on the Easyn cameras with tinted ones which seem to work better.

I've replaced them once (with clear ones furnished by the seller) but I'm getting too old and fat to work off extension ladders so the next  - and hopefully last - time will be bullet replacements.  :'

Tuicemen

• Administrator
  • Helpful Post Rating: 282
  • I don't work for X10, I use it successfuly!
« Reply #19 on: March 24, 2019, 05:28:52 PM »

I've never had much luck with bullet cameras and I would need two maybe three to replace one of my dome PTZ cameras.
However I only ever used (or tried to use ) two different brands.
I also am getting to old and .... to be playing on an extention ladder :(  -:) maybe some scaffolding? Or a hydraulic lift ?   rofl
>!
Please Read Topic:
General Forum Etiquette
Before you post!

brobin

« Reply #20 on: March 25, 2019, 01:32:08 AM »

Don't laugh. At our previous 2 story home we had 12 lighting fixtures all around the exterior of the house mounted about 23 ft high.  This was before LED bulbs and even CFL's wouldn't last more than a couple of years.  Also, the AC condensers were all on the 25 ft high roof - not easily accessible to techs for servicing.  The house did have at least a 3 ft wide stone or concrete walkway surrounding the entire perimeter.  So off to ebay I went  -:) where I found an old but working 30' Genie hydraulic manlift being sold by the Biloxi MS Airport for about $900.  I bought it and called a freight company to get it and it served me well for the 10 years we were there.  I even sold it to the guy who bought our house!
It did have one problem that couldn't be repaired (no parts) - when you got to your desired height it would immediately start to slowly sink.  B:( Enough time to change a bulb but if you got out on the roof for even a minute it would leave you stranded up there.  I bought a little 4 ch wireless remote control relay and spliced it into the manlift control wiring. Press the 1 button for up and 2 for down. As long as you had the fob up on the roof with you it could be brought back up when needed.  :)%

Mic_

« Reply #21 on: March 25, 2019, 04:44:48 AM »

I have never used Bullet cams; because I love the coverage one Dome Camera provides. I will not rule them out however.

I have used dome cams for a while now and the only issues I have had have been app control of the cams.

In this day and age, I know most are not fans of port forward; I use such and I have had success. For those who do; what say you?

brobin

« Reply #22 on: March 25, 2019, 07:09:32 AM »

Domes are OK for PTZ Cam's but for fixed use bullets are better. I've noticed that a lot of PTZ Cam's are now dome less as well. At my other place I have a couple of 10 year old Panasonic PTZ domes that cost a lot at the time and are fine but don't have night vision.

IPS

• Helpful Post Rating: 3
« Reply #23 on: March 25, 2019, 08:24:22 AM »

I have considered using dome ones but then just about ever user has issues and I prefer wide angle bullets. Am seriously looking to find replacements for Foscam IP non POE cameras. Of course reasonabley priced and I like to use app to view them on my phone and iPad. I use blue iris for pc and can use its app on phone. With blue iris running on pc records every movement.

Mic_

« Reply #24 on: March 26, 2019, 05:23:33 AM »

I have found Blue Iris to be a great Product. Disclaimer; no commercial here, just personal info
Pages: 1 [2]

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.