Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: AI sound bars?  (Read 1265 times)

HA Dave

• Helpful Post Rating: 175
AI sound bars?
« on: March 04, 2019, 09:12:18 AM »

I just bought a sound bar (my first one). I was astonished by the selection available everywhere. Most seemed to be priced between $59 to $800.... but I am sure there exceptions to those prices as well.

I've long had a Home Theater (since 2001). now in it's 3rd configuration... but I found the sound bars as somewhat of a different critter... because of the many ways of configuring the setup. 

When the super bowl TV sales hit... I got a crazy idea to get a smart (built-in ROKU) TV for my living room... and stream my cable content (already doing that with other TV's, using other ROKU devices). The idea was to then return my last remaining cable [set top] box. Knowing the lack of the box rental will eventually return the cost of the TV. I soon discovered the new super skinny (and lightweight) TV's may not have the best sound reproduction. Or maybe I am spoiled. Either way.. sound bars seem to have become ubiquitous with TV's.

To The Point

Some sound bars have built-in AI devices.... or are AI controllable (as are some new TV's). It might be convenient to consider these features as part of new entertainment devices.

P.S. I am currently controlling these new devices using the BroadLink device introduced here by Tuicemen. And... I am happy/content with selection/setup. But may have done things differently if I had been fully aware of all the options availeable.
« Last Edit: March 04, 2019, 09:21:57 AM by HA Dave »
Home Automation is an always changing technology

JarodFin

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
Re: AI sound bars?
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2019, 11:51:58 AM »

What do you mean by controllable, Dave? What would you use the AI for?

HA Dave

« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2019, 02:30:44 PM »

What do you mean by controllable, Dave? What would you use the AI for?

Beware.... I am very big/active with AI. I've had voice controlled software as a center point of my X10 Home Automation... since 2006. But as soon as I discover AI (Amazon Alexa)….. I jumped on that with both feet and completely reimagined my entire HA setup to intergrade and exploit AI.

As far as TV.... I prefer to change channels and adjust volume manually (with just ONE remote...thank you). But turning the TV ON or OFF or muting the sound when a phone or doorbell rings... I use AI (routines for OFF and ON).

But the AI.... I use for Alexa just about everything. Random examples.... last night while talking to my elderly Mom... Mom asked when does the time change (DST). I asked Alexa. Alexa knows all that stuff, how many days till spring, or Christmas. How many miles to drive from here (she knows where here is) to Waco Texas. She knows who played the part of "Seven of Nine"... and she knows Jeri Ryan is 51 years old. Alexa can help me with verbal math problems.... or remind me to do something at a certain time. She knows the safe cooking (internal) temperature cooking chicken (or anything else). And.... if I fall and can't get up.... she knows all my phone numbers and can call anyone I ask her to call..... and then act like a speaker phone. 

The AI built-into speakers and/or TV's.... should operate those devices (and other devices) as well as exploit the device speakers (for better sound) while NOT eating up valuable table top space.

bkenobi

• PI Expert
  • Helpful Post Rating: 24
« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2019, 02:37:27 PM »

Sounds like a lot of voice commands to google.  Neat.

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=when+is+jeri+ryan%27s+birthday

HA Dave

« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2019, 09:49:44 PM »

Sounds like a lot of voice commands to google.  Neat.
http://lmgtfy.com/?q=when+is+jeri+ryan%27s+birthday

I wouldn't call a [voice] request a command. And I don't use Google much.... I use Amazon for HA. The Amazon Echo runs on [uses] the Bing search engine. I've been lead to believe that the Google device (which DOES of course use the Google search engine) gets more usable (better) results and appears smarter and more current than does Alexa.

I would guess I use voice commands about as much as most (non-AI) users use Palmpads. Although I attempt to get the home to more-or-less control itself. I certainly don't walk around the house saying "Alexa turn ON this.... or Alexa turn OFF that." But... when I do want to trigger a routine or turn something ON... I don't go reaching for a Palmpad or opening an app on my phone.

But through a practiced effort..... I've learned (self-taught) to interact with my AI devices in what I believe is a natural (and modern) way. Most of the things I ask Alexa to do have nothing to do with "turning lights ON and OFF". I think... believe... Home Automation has grown BIGGER since the introduction of AI.
« Last Edit: March 05, 2019, 10:11:06 PM by HA Dave »

James G

• Helpful Post Rating: 1
« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2019, 01:51:30 AM »

I have been busy. Sorry. Over the past few years, I have been gradually upgrading my home theater. I bought an HDMI receiver/amplifier. So all devices go into it and there is 1 HDMI out to a new TV (Sony 75" OLED). I also upgraded my full tower computer to 4K. The TV does an amazing job of upscaling 1080p to 4K.

HA Dave

« Reply #6 on: April 10, 2019, 11:32:30 PM »

I have been busy. Sorry....... I bought an HDMI receiver/amplifier. So all devices go into it and there is 1 HDMI out to a new TV (Sony 75" OLED)

I occasionally upgrade my Home Theater as well. Like you... I am also using a HDMI receiver/amplifier. And, in my last upgrade I too considered a large flat screen TV. But stuck with a projector (and 110" screen).

My use of a soundbar... is for my living room TV. The living room TV is more-or-less used as a utility devise. Mostly news in the morning, babysitter Larva watching (a 3 year old granddaughter), and some evening re-runs of Oak Island, and forged in Fire. 

But thee soundbar adds a lot! And there isn't any reason the TV has to rely on "factory" speakers.
« Last Edit: April 10, 2019, 11:34:17 PM by HA Dave »

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.