Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Sold the house - X10 is gone. What next?  (Read 3296 times)

solareclipse

• Helpful Post Rating: 1
Sold the house - X10 is gone. What next?
« on: April 03, 2019, 12:25:24 PM »

So a couple months ago I sold my house and left all the X10 stuff in place, including the CM15A and WM100.  Will be building a new house this year, and while I still have a few X10 odds and ends in a box, I don't really plan on installing all new X10 stuff in the new house.  So now I'm starting to look at what the next best option is.

I will use Philips Hue for some lights, but I'd still like to have some HA wall switches and outlet controls.  I'd like for those to be able to be voice controlled by Google Home/Assistant.  I've used IFTTT and Tasker previously to build HA routines, so whatever new platform would hopefully have at least IFTTT integration.  I am considering building something that would have local network control though, as I'm not yet 100% certain what my ISP will be at the new house yet and may not be a hard line cable service.

Any thoughts/suggestions are welcome.  If you were building a new house, anything that you would do that is hard to do later?  I'll be running some CAT6 between floors to at least facilitate having wireless access points on each floor, but I'm still planning my network design.  It's all pretty much a blank slate at this point.

Tuicemen

• Administrator
  • Helpful Post Rating: 282
  • I don't work for X10, I use it successfuly!
Re: Sold the house - X10 is gone. What next?
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2019, 05:36:52 PM »

Realy!  :o ::) :' Go to any new car dealer and ask what's the next best car brand, as you just sold your old car that they sell with your house. rofl

I'm always saddened to hear users abandoning X10 for something different.
There are literally tons of HA options for lighting and appliance control out there now. They all have their pros and cons. In the new age of HA you realy need a mix of protocols.
Please Read Topic:
General Forum Etiquette
Before you post!

dave w

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 139
« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2019, 06:23:26 PM »

FWIW I would go with Z-Wave.

If you insist on WiFi I would go with systems that have hubs.

Going with a strictly WiFi system (no hubs) will put you completely at the mercy of your ISP's reliability, and router capacity as you add devices.

Homeseer and Home Genie can integrate Z-Wave (both speak X10 also). Homeseer has it's own voice control system and speech, which is stand alone, using Microsoft engine. So You would still have some level of voice control even with no internet. I do not know if HG has a built in voice control, but it is as feature laden as Homeseer otherwise.

Caveat: don't know if Homeseer integrates with Google, but works well with Amazon. I think same is true of HG. 
"This aftershave makes me look fat"

solareclipse

« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2019, 11:01:30 AM »

I'm always saddened to hear users abandoning X10 for something different.

I can see using it for specific purposes, but I can't see wiring a new house with all X10 stuff.  The stuff from Authinx isn't cheap anymore.  I still have a fundamental problem with the reliability of PLC HA and the myriad of noisemakers and signal suckers that get plugged into a home's electrical system.  The WM100 transmit strength is an improvement, but it's capabilities are still too limited for my wants or to merit a big investment in new X10 hardware.

FWIW I would go with Z-Wave.

If you insist on WiFi I would go with systems that have hubs.

Going with a strictly WiFi system (no hubs) will put you completely at the mercy of your ISP's reliability, and router capacity as you add devices.

Yeah, I've had good luck with the Hue bulbs and the hubs do seem to give you more options.  Started looking at SmartThings and Wink.

Homeseer and Home Genie can integrate Z-Wave (both speak X10 also). Homeseer has it's own voice control system and speech, which is stand alone, using Microsoft engine. So You would still have some level of voice control even with no internet. I do not know if HG has a built in voice control, but it is as feature laden as Homeseer otherwise.

Awhile back I started looking at Homeseer and Home Genie.  Need to dig back through my notes and give them another look.

Thank you both!

Tuicemen

• Administrator
  • Helpful Post Rating: 282
  • I don't work for X10, I use it successfuly!
« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2019, 12:20:47 PM »

I can see using it for specific purposes, but I can't see wiring a new house with all X10 stuff.  The stuff from Authinx isn't cheap anymore.  I still have a fundamental problem with the reliability of PLC HA and the myriad of noisemakers and signal suckers that get plugged into a home's electrical system.  The WM100 transmit strength is an improvement, but it's capabilities are still too limited for my wants or to merit a big investment in new X10 hardware.

I actually wouldn't wire my whole house with one protocol x10, Zwave, Philips hue or anything.
Authinx X10 devices aren't cheap nor are they inexpensive anymore due to them addressing or attempting to address the noise issues many have.
The thing I like about HG is it acts as a nice bridge for several protocols x10, Zwave, Philips hue, Wemo ..... and it is free.
Sadly there is no Google Home plugin yet for HG, however a user is attempting to create a plug in for it.
I've also managed to control things in HG with  Google Home via the SmartThings developers corner (no SmartThings hub required)
Please Read Topic:
General Forum Etiquette
Before you post!

solareclipse

« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2022, 10:08:40 PM »

Well, almost 3 years later I figured I'd pop on and post an update.   ;D

We've been in the new house for a year and a halfish.  I have way more automation than I did with X10.  I use voice commands all day to Google Assistant to any of 6 Google Home minis, 1 OG Google Home, and 1 Nest Hub Max.  My lights are a combination of Sylvania Zigbee recessed lights, Hue bulbs, and Zooz Zwave switches.  I use a SmartThings hub to handle the Zigbee and Zwave stuff.  There are a few random wifi-only devices too, but Google handles all of them, except for a couple LED strip lights in tray ceilings.  Last count I was just north of 50 lights that were HA-addressable.  Also have 3 interior motion sensors used in bathrooms and the garage which can do pretty cool things since the sensors can report back not only motion, but temperature, humidity, and light level.  Even with the relatively simplistic programming available in SmartThings I can still have my bathroom lights come on automatically full when it's daytime and bright, a dim blue if it's the middle of the night, and not turn off on me if I'm in the shower.  At some point I might take the plunge into a more advanced automation hub, but as of right now I'm able to do 95% of what I'd like to with what I have in place.

Last year I still used some of my X10 stuff for outdoor Christmas lights.  This year that got replaced with a Zooz switch too.  Might be time to finally let all the X10 stuff go!

HA Dave

• Helpful Post Rating: 175
« Reply #6 on: January 10, 2022, 12:25:23 PM »

Well, almost 3 years later I figured I'd pop on and post an update.   ;D

....... I have way more automation than I did with X10.  ..............Last year I still used some of my X10 stuff for outdoor Christmas lights.  This year that got replaced with a Zooz switch too.  Might be time to finally let all the X10 stuff go!

I've kept my X10 in my Home Theater. X10 works great with a remote (universal or PalmPad). And sometimes the PLC could be hard to beat.

Like yourself.... I have a rather large and complex set-up. Much of which could not be done easily (or at all) with an "X10 only" set-up. And between sensors, timers, routines (macros), and voice commands.... Home Automation has gotten pretty darn sweet. HA isn't just lighting (and coffee pot) control anymore.

I am Alexa/Amazon based voice control. And it allows me to stay connected to my home while out exercising. My wife can talk to me... directly to my ear-bud without even making a phone call. Or we can use Alexa as a phone.... (in case we fall and can't get up?). HA has changed and evolved a LOT since the old days.... as has our lifestyles. I just can't use X10 to shut off my TV and set the alarm (by a voice command) on my way out-the-door.

I just recently added water leak detection and water main shut-off to my system. With automatic in-house voice notifications and phone alerts. I guess I could live without that. But why should I?

« Last Edit: January 10, 2022, 12:27:01 PM by HA Dave »
Home Automation is an always changing technology

brobin

• Helpful Post Rating: 157
« Reply #7 on: January 10, 2022, 04:40:39 PM »

If you normally set an alarm when you leave the house, use that to trigger an action that'll shut off the water 1 hour later (in case the washer or dishwasher is running).  Use the Disarm action to open the valve when you return.  Why not just rely on the leak sensors?  You can IF you have one under each and every sink, toilet, dishwasher, washing machine and ice maker/refrigerator (with water) in your house.

We once had a home where the plastic toilet supply line connector cracked while we were away for two days.  The water took out my wife's walk-in closet and contents, the master bedroom ceiling, furniture and carpeting, the living room hardwood floors, the garage ceiling and a light fixture that then fell on the hood of our car.  Total insurance claim was $84,000 and it took almost 6 months to do the work which also required a new beam to correct the then sagging 2nd floor! Two of the other connectors in that home were also cracked but hadn't started leaking! It could have been worse if a neighbor hadn't noticed water coming out under the garage door and turned off our water.

Turns out there was a class action suit against the manufacturer of the toilet supply lines and our insurance company was one of the plaintiffs.  They won and a few years later we received a check for the deductible we had to pay.  I also only allow toilet supply lines with brass connectors in my home now. 

HA Dave

« Reply #8 on: January 10, 2022, 06:23:57 PM »

If you normally set an alarm when you leave the house,...............  Why not just rely on the leak sensors? 

I should have been clear-er. I have a habit of setting my home's security (and fire) alarm when I leave. AND I also have a routine that shuts the TV (and lights) off. I did set-up the leak detection almost as a stand alone. It just sets there and works... while doing nothing. But it will let me know if anything happens... or a new battery is needed.

You can IF you have one under each and every sink, toilet, dishwasher, washing machine and ice maker/refrigerator (with water) in your house. 

Sensor placement is an interestingly challenge... and also likely key to the setup. Half on my setup is located in the basement, where both a bathroom and the laundry room are located. The basement also has a couple strategic drains (and a sump pump pit and pump I installed myself). So.... I feel content with the setup. But I also plan on adding a couple "freeze sensors" too.

I've also given a little thought to some kind of sensor on the sump pump. To let me know if and when it becomes active (a rare event).   

But I have to be cautious..... prepping for imagined calamities.... is a deep rabbit hole to run into. 

SkipWX10

« Reply #9 on: January 10, 2022, 08:38:09 PM »

But I have to be cautious..... prepping for imagined calamities.... is a deep rabbit hole to run into.

Tell me about it!!

I was just checking the solar charger for the battery that starts the generator that charges the batteries for the hydraulic lift that raises my backup generator pad in case of a flooding rain .... j/k

HA Dave

« Reply #10 on: January 10, 2022, 10:41:19 PM »

Tell me about it!!

I think you could narrate that topic. I really do.

There are so many ways "to do" home automation now-a-days. I think a person could invest (or expend) any amount of resources such as money, time, or energy.... and never automate a single light.

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.