Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: HomeSeer Sale - May 2019  (Read 10215 times)

brobin

• Helpful Post Rating: 157
HomeSeer Sale - May 2019
« on: May 01, 2019, 10:43:04 AM »

HomeSeer is offering their RPi3 HS3 for 50% off. $100 buys the whole thing or $50 for the HS3 software to run on your own RPi3.
« Last Edit: May 02, 2019, 10:53:47 AM by brobin »

bkenobi

• PI Expert
  • Helpful Post Rating: 24
Re: HomeSeer Sale - May 2029
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2019, 11:07:24 AM »

Haven't used HS in a long time, but that seems like a pretty good deal.  I know users of HS really seem to like it so for those on the fence now would be a good time to jump on.

dave w

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 139
« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2019, 12:40:48 PM »

Heading to Homeseer.com as we speak. Thanks bro and bkenobi!
"This aftershave makes me look fat"

racerfern

• Helpful Post Rating: 6
« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2019, 06:26:51 PM »

I use it religiously because it's relatively easy to create events (macros) without having to resort to scripts. HS3 no longer officially supports X10 but I haven't seen anything "new" in X10 where a new version of the plug-in would be needed.

So for $50 you can have 5 plug-ins for the RPi3. Any more than that tends to bog it down. X10, Z-wave, Jowihue(zigbee control) take up three. You have two remaining depending on your needs and wants.

bkenobi

• PI Expert
« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2019, 09:32:10 AM »

Wait, so they limit you to a set number of capabilities? Is that a performance thing or if you pay more you get more?

brobin

• Helpful Post Rating: 157
« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2019, 10:53:24 AM »

Due to the limitations of the RPi you are limited to 5.  The other, more expensive versions, don't have that limitation. Scroll down to the bottom of this page for a comparision: https://homeseer.com/home-automation-software/

bkenobi

• PI Expert
Re: HomeSeer Sale - May 2019
« Reply #6 on: May 02, 2019, 02:44:30 PM »

Oh wow!  I didn't realize how much you had to spend to customize things.  Want to use a Wiimote, $20.  Want to control your Nest thermostat, $40.  etc...  Yeah.  I retract my suggestion that HS is a good option based solely on the cost structure.  I have no problem with charging for software that is useful, but this level of pricing to me feels pretty elevated.  I'm more of a DIY'er so the pro price structure doesn't cut it for me.

racerfern

« Reply #7 on: May 02, 2019, 06:47:25 PM »

It all adds up! Be it, not quite the right module, or software that won't do everything you want. The base HS3 is extremely powerful and allows a tremendous amount of latitude. It's not unusual to have to spend a few $$ more to make something the way you want it. Options! Imagine, nowadays, Adobe rents you software and others are headed that way. At least you own HS3 and the plug-ins you choose to purchase.

Luckily, HS3 allows integration of these options as opposed to having to run another program that doesn't talk to the first one. HG has this potential but the $ model will never support the creator. AHP could have been it all, even they had separate add-ons, but alas we know where that ended up.

At least HS seems to be able to keep up with the economics and the advancements of the technology.

bkenobi

• PI Expert
« Reply #8 on: May 02, 2019, 07:15:44 PM »

Sure, and if it was the best thing out there without competition the price might be worth swollowing.  But, Homeassistant is very capable and has similar capabilities through components for no cost.  I haven't tried HS3 so I won't say whether it's worth the investment. I will say that if you go with the Hass.IO version of HA, it has a very slick interface that new users could get straight into with minimal time and zero (software) finances invested.  I knew HS was a paid app I just didn't realize they get you at every turn for significantly more than expected (e.g., an app store purchase).

racerfern

« Reply #9 on: May 02, 2019, 07:51:02 PM »

They do get you at a lot of turns. But it encourages independent developers with varying interests.

Not sure what percentage HS takes, but there are constantly new developers with new ideas and releases.

I'm not aware of another system that encourages so many plug-ins, some as much as $40, while many others are free. This obviously takes the burden off HS which maintains the core z-wave.

dave w

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 139
« Reply #10 on: May 02, 2019, 08:30:45 PM »

FWIW
I have HS3 running 127 "Events" and 138 "Devices". The only plug-in I need is the free X10 CM11/TI103. The CM15 plug-in is also free.

Yeah there is a ton of plug-ins, but most are very narrow scope - product specific. https://shop.homeseer.com/search?type=product&q=plug-in .

I think the HS3 "Pro" is a big rip off. It is HS3 with all the plug-ins for a plus 350 bucks. Many of the Blade plug-ins are free and most of his stuff is good. But many of the paid plug-ins over lap and do the same thing, only from different developers. I pity the person buying the "Pro" Homeseer thinking he is getting the Cadillac version when he is really getting the base version with a giant bag of trinkets he likely can not use. However the base  HS3 is a pretty good deal at the "sale" price $125. 
« Last Edit: May 02, 2019, 08:34:45 PM by dave w »
"This aftershave makes me look fat"

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.