Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: My Broadlink RM+ just died? Anyone else?  (Read 3013 times)

mike

• Helpful Post Rating: 14
My Broadlink RM+ just died? Anyone else?
« on: November 03, 2019, 04:43:26 PM »

I guess my broadlink RM+ ois about 2.5 years old...  it just seemed to stop communicating for no reason out of the blue...

It just blinks blue 1x/sec...  I can hold in reset button and it blinks 3x/sec, and so I can go to e-control or ihc and try to get connection to it...  after 30 sec the 3x/sec blinking turns into 1x/sec again but no connection?

ihc goes to a screen to attempt to connect another way, says go to broadlink rm server connection instead - I do not have one in my wifi list.

I think my RM just stopped transmitting...

Anyone else have such a failure?

Anyone have a recommendation for a replacement?  Same RM+ or go with a newer model?

I need this as ahp stopped updating and won't send x10 security updates...

HA Dave

• Helpful Post Rating: 175
Re: My Broadlink RM+ just died? Anyone else?
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2019, 10:19:15 PM »

I've had one since early on (after Tuicemen mentioned it here at the forums). Mine live in my Man-Cave... and I used it this morning... when I told Alexa to turn the TV off. It worked fine.

But I have had a similar experience with an i-module. For whatever reason it just dropped connection and I could not make it re-establish. 
« Last Edit: November 03, 2019, 10:21:26 PM by HA Dave »
Home Automation is an always changing technology

mike

« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2019, 04:14:11 PM »

Oh my gosh!  I got it to work again!   Truns out even the fancy of fancy routers have a limit to how many connections can be made on each wifi channel!!

For giggles, since I had 19 total router connections, (4 wired, 16 wifi), I decided to try to let the broadlink connect via the guest wifi channel...  IT DID! 

Home Genie and HAbridge both again work!  Dang!

Of course I tried this 10 minutes after breaking down and buying another Broadlink RM pro for $30...

A day late, dollar short as usual.  Maybe I should complete the day by selling some stock lo that I bought high.   Thanks for your reply Dave. 

HA Dave

• Helpful Post Rating: 175
« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2019, 11:05:12 PM »

...... even the fancy of fancy routers have a limit to how many connections can be made on each wifi channel!!

...... I decided to try to let the broadlink connect via the guest wifi channel...  IT DID! 

Some routers allow you to set the number of users/connection on your wifi. PLUS.... most of the automation wifi stuff ONLY works via the 2.4 band of wifi. You may be able to name the 5.8 band with a different name than the 2.4.... OR use two different passwords for the faster and slower bandwidths.

I use the two-band strategy to force my wifi to only logon to the 2.4 band. 
« Last Edit: November 05, 2019, 11:25:24 PM by HA Dave »
Home Automation is an always changing technology

mike

« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2019, 09:18:27 AM »

Thanks Dave.  Yes, I learned long ago to name my 2.4 and 5ghz bands different, as well as guest bands of both.  unfortunately my latest cell phone is ONLY 2.4ghz too!  Wow!  But worth it for flat rate $25/mo for unlimited no caps 4G internet speeds of 30/15mbps dwn/up typical.  All my (mostly) wyze cameras are indeed only 2.4 band too...  But no reason not to start moving them over to the guest network.

dave w

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 139
« Reply #5 on: November 06, 2019, 06:29:17 PM »

I learned long ago to name my 2.4 and 5ghz bands different
Do you have devices on both bands? If so, do you notice a difference in range? My guess would be 5gHz to be noticeably shorter(?).
"This aftershave makes me look fat"

mike

« Reply #6 on: November 06, 2019, 07:23:26 PM »

Do you have devices on both bands? If so, do you notice a difference in range? My guess would be 5gHz to be noticeably shorter(?).

Yes, range on 5ghz is a bit over 1/2 that of 2.4, I have both set to same power output.

bkenobi

• PI Expert
  • Helpful Post Rating: 24
« Reply #7 on: November 07, 2019, 10:51:55 AM »

I haven't tested range on my new router yet, but I see that the signal strength of 5GHz drops off quickly compared to 2.4GHz.  I assume that would mean using 5GHz only devices would be potentially slower and likely intermittent.  It appears to me that the best use of 5GHz is when used in an AC setup to boost speeds when possible rather than in A only mode.

mike

« Reply #8 on: November 07, 2019, 12:15:24 PM »

I have both bands plus both bands again as guest networks;  all 4 have different SSID names to keep them straight.  I wanted to use the both band approach with my netgear extender in the house (asus main unit is in detached office building, fed with $25/mo no data limit full 4g speed visible.com free cell phone, shared then thru whole area), but the 5g is just too weak to make it usefull.  So 5g just goes to some individual laptops and a cell phone that does allow 5g wifi;  all close enough to the routers to be full strength connections. 

The 5g wifi connection at my office across townis VERY noticably faster than the 2g connections when using quickbooks!  speed tests also hit 120mbps on our spectrum cable with the 5g but only come thru at around 70mbps on the older computers with 2g connection!

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.