Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Any suggestions for.....  (Read 2244 times)

bkenobi

• PI Expert
  • Helpful Post Rating: 24
Re: Any suggestions for.....
« Reply #15 on: January 02, 2020, 10:22:03 AM »

But detecting a large animal isn't a false positive.  That is exactly what a motion sensor should do.

If your intent is to detect all large animals... detecting and alarming for a deer (or your own dog)... would be a good thing. But if the positive/desired result is to detect human shaped objects.... warm body detection isn't satisfactory.

There is human (AI) detection, that uses a camera and Internet cloud-server-based AI. It... by itself isn't great either. But maybe a two-stage "if this than that" approach might provide a solution.

That's just silly.  The OP stated an outdoor flood light was problematic.  If his original solution was using a basic motion sensor, then detecting basic motion is what the designer of the flood light had in mind and should be considered when determining the types of objects that are real or false positives.  It has a sensitivity setting typically to determine how large/close/range of motion/etc will be detected, but it has no advanced AI.  If the OP stated his Amazon/Google AI motion sensor was not working, your comment might have some merit, but the OP had no statement about human detection.

That said, IR based motion sensors will detect movement of heat and not real motion.  If you have a heat plume off a heat pump that may be considered motion.  I have branches that are clearly different temperature from the background (sky most likely) and in heavy winds will get motion detection.  There are motion sensors that use both IR and/or RF (like a sonar approach) to detect motion.  The best sensors use both, but RF is likely better in most cases.  Depending on your setup (if it's an off the shelf, wired in, non HA style), you might be able to remove the motion sensor you have and install one that includes RF for better detection without false positives.

I can't find a replacement motion sensor ATM, but since we don't know what type of sensor you need, I won't look until you indicate that's something that would help.

brobin

• Helpful Post Rating: 157
Re: Any suggestions for.....
« Reply #16 on: January 02, 2020, 12:00:49 PM »

That said, IR based motion sensors will detect movement of heat and not real motion.

So true. My MS16 located on the front porch ceiling gives a false alarm most afternoons when the sun hits the west facing glass door at a certain angle creating a hotspot.  Next time I have to climb up there to change the batteries I'm going to try and add a shield.
Pages: 1 [2]

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.