Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: HomeGenie non X10 related matters  (Read 3936 times)

petera

• PI Expert
  • Helpful Post Rating: 27
HomeGenie non X10 related matters
« on: December 10, 2019, 08:47:27 AM »

I’ve noticed a couple of HomeGenie non X10 related questions being posted recently. For a more in-depth discussion of these I strongly suggest posting these questions at the HomeGenie forum at the following link https://homegenie.club/latest .You will have access to experienced HomeGenie users and developers of X10 and non X10 related technologies.

These guys have many years of real coding experience and can help you develop an integrated home automation system in the HomeGenie environment.

All it takes is a couple of minutes to register on the forum and you can ask about anything HomeGenie related and be sure to get an answer.

LostDog88

• Helpful Post Rating: 2
Re: HomeGenie non X10 related matters
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2019, 01:20:59 PM »

So.....Pardon my ignorance. I am confused.

Everyone is pushing this "other" forum. This one has been down a lot in the last few days.

Is this forum going away or something?

Tuicemen

• Administrator
  • Helpful Post Rating: 282
  • I don't work for X10, I use it successfuly!
« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2019, 02:34:27 PM »

This forum is not going away anytime soon. What petera is suggesting is if you have a none x10 related HG question is to post to the other forum. Although some of us here do use other HA protocols users would most likely get a better/quicker responce on the othe forum. There realy arent that many HG users here that have been using it for a long time.
Please Read Topic:
General Forum Etiquette
Before you post!

petera

• PI Expert
« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2019, 03:11:31 PM »

So.....Pardon my ignorance. I am confused.

Everyone is pushing this "other" forum. This one has been down a lot in the last few days.

Is this forum going away or something?

Yes I merely suggested going direct to the source for non X10 related Homegenie queries rather than asking here when clearly this an X10 based community forum. Same as I would suggest for Home Assistant, Vera, Homeseer, OpenHAB and Domoticz non X10 related queries. Helps to avoid any confusion on answers you may receive as there are both senior and experienced Homegenie users and coders that can provide you with non X10 solutions quickly and effectively.

I think Mr T answered you query on the future of this forum buy like you I noticed too it was down on a couple of occasions. Nothing to be too concerned about in the grand scheme of things I imagine.

LostDog88

• Helpful Post Rating: 2
« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2019, 03:47:42 PM »

Whew........Y'all had me scared outta my mind.

I have tried the other HA systems. None really worked as expected and were very difficult for me to get going. Not saying HG was easy or anything, but the wealth of data and Q/A's on this forum made it much easier when I had to reset my Pi and start from scratch.

Especially the updated data about the new RPi OS. Buster? I think?

Anywho, the point is that there is no way I could setup my RPi to work as I wanted and do all the things that I have going on around here without this board.

So, thanks!

petera

• PI Expert
« Reply #5 on: December 10, 2019, 06:37:31 PM »

Absolutely but to progress your setup beyond X10 I really do suggest you register with the HomeGenie forum where you will find most of the original HomeGenie adopters who have a very in-depth knowledge of the core of the HomeGenie code which is very important when you experience the likes of runtime errors.

I’ve tried to keep the few HomeGenie X10 users going with instructions on updating to the version of Raspbian Buster but don’t forget the Raspbian team are already working on the next version as I type. You do know each version is named after a character from Toy Story, don’t you. rofl

Tuicemen

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: December 28, 2019, 03:00:37 PM »

I’ve tried to keep the few HomeGenie X10 users going with instructions on updating to the version of Raspbian Buster but don’t forget the Raspbian team are already working on the next version as I type. You do know each version is named after a character from Toy Story, don’t you. rofl
After reading this I thought Bullseye sounds like the build that will have every thing in line (Buster doesn't for me yet).
Then I noticed that's the next version and it is available now (alfa version) for testing. Think I'll place a copy on my mini PC and load HG to it.
I know it may not be stable and don't expect much, and I'm not. My PiX10Hub currently runs on Stretch but I'm moving over to Buster shortly with the next PiX10Hub-Buster build.
Please Read Topic:
General Forum Etiquette
Before you post!

Tuicemen

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: December 29, 2019, 02:15:33 PM »

Wow Bullseye is performing better then expected, setting up HG was a piece of cake. However I never tried the installer just the tar file.  >!
Please Read Topic:
General Forum Etiquette
Before you post!

petera

• PI Expert
« Reply #8 on: December 29, 2019, 02:55:03 PM »

Wow Bullseye is performing better then expected, setting up HG was a piece of cake. However I never tried the installer just the tar file.  >!

The gdebi installer is broken since the release of Buster and won’t work with future releases of Raspbian unless the author repairs it. Personally it doesn’t bother me as I’ve always manually installed HG since the days of Wheezy. I still use a Wheezy HG system as it was the last one that supported the CSI Pi camera.

There’s rarely any difficulty installing/using HG between Raspbian versions. There may be Linux headers to be adjusted in the final compiled version and possibly firmware breaking changes like the depreciation of Lirc in Buster but it’s early days yet to be even discussing this. Debian is the one to check out for all the latest info. I’m running an Armbian64 version of it on a Rock64 4Gb and so far so good.

Tuicemen

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: December 29, 2019, 03:53:35 PM »

The gdebi installer is broken since the release of Buster and won’t work with future releases of Raspbian unless the author repairs it. Personally it doesn’t bother me as I’ve always manually installed HG since the days of Wheezy. I still use a Wheezy HG system as it was the last one that supported the CSI Pi camera.

Method of installing doesn't bother me either manual installs give you a bit more flexibility.
I am finding Bullseye a bit faster then Buster but that maybe that a lot of extra packages haven't been added as yet.
Please Read Topic:
General Forum Etiquette
Before you post!

petera

• PI Expert
« Reply #10 on: December 29, 2019, 05:01:14 PM »

Method of installing doesn't bother me either manual installs give you a bit more flexibility.
I am finding Bullseye a bit faster then Buster but that maybe that a lot of extra packages haven't been added as yet.
Be careful as you won’t be getting security updates on a test version which are vitally important. Also you’re putting Mono on top of test OS which is likely to crash at some stage. Bullseye is at least a year away from release.

Tuicemen

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: December 29, 2019, 05:14:55 PM »

Be careful as you won’t be getting security updates on a test version which are vitally important. Also you’re putting Mono on top of test OS which is likely to crash at some stage.
And I'm expecting that!
This is simply mirroring a Pi Zero Setup, if it goes down not a big deal. I've opted into sharing info with developers to help out, sadly I won't be putting it through a heavy work out and that was never my intention.
Please Read Topic:
General Forum Etiquette
Before you post!

petera

• PI Expert
« Reply #12 on: December 29, 2019, 06:24:18 PM »

Be careful as you won’t be getting security updates on a test version which are vitally important. Also you’re putting Mono on top of test OS which is likely to crash at some stage.
And I'm expecting that!
This is simply mirroring a Pi Zero Setup, if it goes down not a big deal. I've opted into sharing info with developers to help out, sadly I won't be putting it through a heavy work out and that was never my intention.
Which developers are they. Obviously not the HG one 😂 Have you managed to compile the version of Bullseye you are using. Are you assisting the Mono project in some way. I’m involved in both so this is certainly interesting to hear

Tuicemen

• Administrator
« Reply #13 on: December 29, 2019, 08:19:10 PM »

They are the Debian developer group I assume as this was asked when I installed the OS. Apearently it is to determine which packages to include in the final release.
Please Read Topic:
General Forum Etiquette
Before you post!

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.