Re: Her
« Reply #30 on: January 22, 2020, 10:52:16 AM »

That would be a methane filter.  The CO2 should be on the other end.   rofl

HA Dave

• Helpful Post Rating: 175
« Reply #31 on: January 22, 2020, 10:59:10 AM »

That would be a methane filter.  The CO2 should be on the other end.   rofl

That's RIGHT! And we no-longer need to worry about methane...... as the old "hole in the ozone" seemingly healed itself. Or... maybe that fad just lost traction, or government research funds ran out (that is what killed the "returning ice-age"). New decades bring new ways to fleece the taxpayers. I hear "threats from space".... may cost taxpayers TRILLIONS in the near future.
« Last Edit: January 22, 2020, 11:02:24 AM by HA Dave »
Home Automation is an always changing technology

bkenobi

• PI Expert
  • Helpful Post Rating: 24
« Reply #32 on: January 22, 2020, 11:02:34 AM »

The hole in the ozone layer is as large as it was in the 80's when we fixed it by banning CFC's.

HA Dave

« Reply #33 on: January 22, 2020, 05:56:09 PM »

...... in the 80's when we fixed it by banning CFC's.

rofl :)% rofl :)%

Yeah.... people "fixed" the planet.... by passing a law. Do you mind if I share that silliness with the rest of the Internet. A lot of people would get a real laugh at reading that.

brobin

• Helpful Post Rating: 157
« Reply #34 on: January 23, 2020, 01:24:08 AM »

I believe bkenobi was being facetious with his comment.

HA Dave

« Reply #35 on: January 23, 2020, 09:26:47 AM »

I believe bkenobi was being facetious with his comment.

Thank God. I wondered.

So many people just don't want to admit that so many people actually believed in the last "end-of-days" hoax. Now that it has been fully exposed.

And.....many people choose to dis-believe in the modern understanding of DNA. We don't have to call them Luddites (but that is what they are). We have our DNA programming. Which is a mixed blessing, double edged sword, or paradox of thought (or make-up your own analogy). Our own brains deceive us in our ability to reason our way forward. So.... mankind's progress forward is stalled... waiting for the older Luddites to die-off as newer generations form more realistic paradigms.

dave w

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 139
« Reply #36 on: January 23, 2020, 02:26:37 PM »

So.... mankind's progress forward is stalled... waiting for the older Luddites to die-off as newer generations form more realistic paradigms.
Yeah. Sure.  "Realistic paradigms" like Gretta and AOC are forming.
"This aftershave makes me look fat"

HA Dave

« Reply #37 on: January 23, 2020, 03:20:55 PM »

Yeah. Sure.  "Realistic paradigms" like Gretta and AOC are forming.

You never can tell.

Large/long swaths have been cut from civilizations history... like the dark ages... where mankind failed to progress. There has even been eras (or so some think) where mankind slipped backward. It happens. I'd guess it's more like two steps forward, and one step back. I know "for a fact" (I read the report) the American Government made a decision to just let technical progress rest. To wait out a generation, and let the workers die off. Before making more changes and progress.

And.... maybe brighter minds correctly made that that decision. From what I've seen many smart people can't envision much more change.... or even what change is already all around them.   

bkenobi

• PI Expert
« Reply #38 on: January 24, 2020, 08:42:35 AM »

I'll just leave this here. It summarizes the minority opinion on the forum nicely without being shouted over.

https://www.vice.com/amp/en_ca/article/3a8dpn/sonos-makes-it-clear-you-no-longer-own-the-things-you-buy

HA Dave

« Reply #39 on: January 24, 2020, 09:19:11 AM »

https://www.vice.com/amp/en_ca/article/3a8dpn/sonos-makes-it-clear-you-no-longer-own-the-things-you-buy

........ It summarizes the minority opinion on the forum.

The "minority opinion"?!?!? That doesn't make sense. It's a FACT that Internet Technology CAN NOT be owned. We have moved from an ownership society... to a pay-to-play... service-for-fee society.  This is universally well known. And... I'd think that most adults of any serious age... are a little off-put by this (past) turn of events. But... it pretty much happen many years ago.

Things change. Everything.... always changes. Our entire lives are nothing less than dynamic change. That part of our brain that tells us that things remain consistence and the same... may have had an important part in human evolution. But today... it is just lying to us.

The days of $5 per piece X10 specials are pass (except on ebay). Other home automation products are everywhere (for cheap). What we do with home automation is WAY different today than just turning lights on and off. AND.... everything that we do with Home Automation (and EVERYTHING else) is only temporary.

What we enjoy each month.... for the rest of our lives... may be dependent on that months disposable income. But now that I think about it... hasn't that more-or-less always been the way life worked?

(Some of) These technology changes can be heart breaking (at lease to me). But there is nothing we can do about it. The efforts to stop time may seen noble. But the struggle is futile. Or is it: resistance is futile (the entire Borg story plot explained... in one paragraph).
« Last Edit: January 24, 2020, 09:23:33 AM by HA Dave »

bkenobi

• PI Expert
« Reply #40 on: January 24, 2020, 09:36:30 AM »

The "minority opinion"?!?!?

I could be wrong. Maybe it's the silent majority. There is certainly a component that is vocal for sure.

HA Dave

« Reply #41 on: January 24, 2020, 10:28:12 AM »

I could be wrong. Maybe it's the silent majority. There is certainly a component that is vocal for sure.

I myself... have no real way to know what others are thinking. But I thought the major objection to the new WiFi/server-phone based/ big corporate-owned modern Home Automation.... was a "loss of control".   

Keep in mind.... whereas most people come to Home Automation with a "problem".... they stay for the element of control that is achieved with Home Automation. Don't get me wrong. I am NOT calling X10 users control freaks. But... if the shoe fits.

And there is the paradox with modern HA. The desired control is achieved with a technology which the user has NO control over.

Tuicemen

• Administrator
  • Helpful Post Rating: 282
  • I don't work for X10, I use it successfuly!
« Reply #42 on: January 24, 2020, 10:40:22 AM »

Keep in mind.... whereas most people come to Home Automation with a "problem".... they stay for the element of control that is achieved with Home Automation. Don't get me wrong. I am NOT calling X10 users control freaks. But... if the shoe fits.
Problem? most people?  Not sure that is accurate, I think people that look at Home Automation do it for convenience.
 They may stay with home automation for the control that is achieved but it may also be that they have become lazy. rofl
Please Read Topic:
General Forum Etiquette
Before you post!

brobin

• Helpful Post Rating: 157
« Reply #43 on: January 24, 2020, 11:00:25 AM »

Even our venerable X10 modules will one day no longer work... when wireless power  replaces electrical wiring!

HA Dave

« Reply #44 on: January 24, 2020, 06:39:43 PM »

Problem? most people?  Not sure that is accurate, I think people that look at Home Automation do it for convenience.
 They may stay with home automation for the control that is achieved but it may also be that they have become lazy. rofl

Reminds me of an advertisement I saw for Canada recently
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.