Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: CM15A only turns things off not on?  (Read 4679 times)

DrJimM5

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
Re: CM15A only turns things off not on?
« Reply #15 on: January 21, 2020, 07:17:48 AM »

Everything I am looking to turn on is some form of light control. Basically I have one or more of every Decora-style press/rocker light switch and plug in outlet over the past 20 years. Some are Leviton brand, some are X-10 and some are other.  When someone suggested my issue could have been the "Soft Start" thing I did switch a few to the Older Lamps module, but there are several different types in there for wired wall switches and outlets and I did not try them all. I didn't think it would have to be as specific as specifically which one I had. If that's the case it will be difficult to figure out which is which since they are all hard-wired.  Final disclosure is in order for all my units to respond, I have been running a signal booster for years which plugs into the dryer 220 and then my dryer plugs into it. Not knowing the difference in "on" command signals versus off as it relates to the program vs. manual leaves me (and my IT guy) puzzled. That is, the AHP turns everything off fine automatically as programmed and I also have full manual control of both on & off through the program, but not the automatic on.  One would think if logic applied that if I could turn something on manually then that would be the same e-signal sent out in the automatic program. I also did try using set hour vs. dusk for on and also 12 vs. 24. All of that was PRIOR to AHP LJ install and register, so if you think I should do some kind of delete and redo, I will do that. Last thing and before we try anything else I'm going to do this now is my IT guy installed AHP LJ remotely and I have to check with him if he did a restart to computer and also cleared out the interface memory and then downloaded to the hub.

Tuicemen

• Administrator
  • Helpful Post Rating: 282
  • I don't work for X10, I use it successfuly!
« Reply #16 on: January 21, 2020, 07:45:14 AM »

It has been several years since I used AHP (created for Windows 98) I don't even have it loaded on a PC any more (I still use the CM15A though) I'm working from memory here (which isn't what it once was).
If lights are plugged into a hardwired outlet (not a Plug in lamp module) they will not respond to a all lights on command as they are considered outlets. Some switches I also believe are the same.
Are you attempting to turn several lights on at the same time with a macro or timer?
Are all lights on the same house code (A, B, C...)
 >!
Please Read Topic:
General Forum Etiquette
Before you post!

DrJimM5

« Reply #17 on: January 21, 2020, 07:51:24 AM »

I have set up individual timers based upon the location of the lighting. All are A-something (1-16) and have been forever. Some of the lights are plugged directly into the X-10 hard wired outlet and some are connected to the Decora style switch. In some cases their might be multiple items on a house code, say A-3 is my exterior front lights which consists of several of Decora switches, and a pair of outlets. That is my most complicated one but a simple press of any manual control for A-3 gets them all now in AHP or from my desktop control boxes. I do not have response issues from any manual source be it many items or just one.  I do not use macros.

Tuicemen

• Administrator
« Reply #18 on: January 21, 2020, 07:58:03 AM »

manual remotes send standard X10 signals AHP on the other hand sends specific signals depending on how a module is connected.
If you can turn off & on all lights manually in AHP but just not with a timer then I suspect either the timer isn't configured correctly or you have some power line noise being injected into the power line at the time the lights are to come on.
Does the AHP history show the on signal being sent?
Please Read Topic:
General Forum Etiquette
Before you post!

DrJimM5

« Reply #19 on: January 21, 2020, 01:10:22 PM »

At work and will check tonight. I did before leaving clear all and download so I'm hoping to get lucky and find lights on when I get home. The power line thing probably isn't the cause as I have them going on at various times and when they don't I can turn them on literally at the same time manually in AHP around the same time (assuming I'm at home and not work, which is 3x per week usually).

Tuicemen

• Administrator
« Reply #20 on: January 21, 2020, 03:15:36 PM »

So sometimes your timers work and other times they don't?
That is a classic sign of a noise issue. These are hard to route out with out a meter but not impossible.
Please Read Topic:
General Forum Etiquette
Before you post!

brobin

• Helpful Post Rating: 157
« Reply #21 on: January 21, 2020, 03:26:43 PM »

Perhaps plugging a lamp module (with a desk lamp) set to the same code as one of the lights into the same outlet as the CM15 would help troubleshoot this. 

Tuicemen

• Administrator
« Reply #22 on: January 21, 2020, 03:34:34 PM »

Perhaps plugging a lamp module (with a desk lamp) set to the same code as one of the lights into the same outlet as the CM15 would help troubleshoot this.
That would help to confirm a noise issue, and phase issue but since DrJimM5 has a phase coupler I doubt that the issue is a phase one.
Please Read Topic:
General Forum Etiquette
Before you post!

DrJimM5

« Reply #23 on: January 21, 2020, 04:04:15 PM »

Correct T as brobin was suggesting I've "been there, done that." My house is wiring complex having been altered many times to the current point of 300 amp service and several subpanels.  It's actually amazing the X-10 stuff was working so well before this!  Since this issues started, SmartHome told me that the software we deleted that was running my last module also from them, should work with Windows 10. My IT guy didn't think so at first when we set up new machine so we deleted HomeLink and ditched their plug-in hub (had to stay connected to PC at all times to work) and went with ActiveHome and the CM15 I had sitting around.

dave w

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 139
« Reply #24 on: January 21, 2020, 04:18:09 PM »

Correct T as brobin was suggesting I've "been there, done that." My house is wiring complex having been altered many times to the current point of 300 amp service and several subpanels.
FWIW I am arriving late to this party and have only skimmed the thread, but with a huge system as yours. and regardless of the current problems, I would recommend adding a "flame thrower" of a coupler/repeater. Don't know if JVDE is still making them, but the XTBIIR is the undisputed pinnacle of X10 PLC signal coupler, booster, repeater.
http://jvde.us/xtb-iir.htm
"This aftershave makes me look fat"

DrJimM5

« Reply #25 on: January 21, 2020, 04:46:07 PM »

Thanks for the input Dave. If we can get even a couple lights to turn on or something automatically, I'd consider that. Since the last few programs and hubs have worked out well with the plug-in 220 repeater I have, I don't want to add another variable right now. Cliff's Notes: if my AHP works to turn things off automatically and also on/off manually and my "only" problem is none of them are going on automatically, my problem is likely not a signal. Anyone in favor of a defective CM15 as it relates to sending automatic on signals?  I know I have to check the log tonight but not knowing the fundamentals of the unit, is it possible?  I would think anything's possible but is it likely?

Tuicemen

• Administrator
« Reply #26 on: January 21, 2020, 04:49:48 PM »

Just to be sure, your CM15A is always connected to the PC, Yes?
Please Read Topic:
General Forum Etiquette
Before you post!

DrJimM5

« Reply #27 on: January 21, 2020, 05:55:16 PM »

Yes. I thought it was capable of holding the program though?

Tuicemen

• Administrator
« Reply #28 on: January 21, 2020, 06:10:15 PM »

It is, however if you have the CM15A connected 24/7 there is no need to download to the interface. I know you can tell AHP to execute macros from AHP but can't remember if you can do the same for timers. The only need to download to your interface is if your running disconected and that requires batteries.
If batteries in the unit have leaked and corroded  things it is possible some damage was done to the memory.
Please Read Topic:
General Forum Etiquette
Before you post!

dave w

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 139
« Reply #29 on: January 21, 2020, 08:43:47 PM »

Thanks for the input Dave. If we can get even a couple lights to turn on or something automatically, I'd consider that. Since the last few programs and hubs have worked out well with the plug-in 220 repeater I have, I don't want to add another variable right now. Cliff's Notes: if my AHP works to turn things off automatically
Yes you are right, do not add to the pot. Thanks for the condensed version <wink>
I have not used AHP and a CM15A in a decade, so am a fish out of water trying to trouble shoot. If you think it is a hardware matter I can loan you a new CM15A for testing and use until you get new if your CM turns out to be bad. PM me.
"This aftershave makes me look fat"
Pages: 1 [2] 3

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.