Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Insteon 2472DWH Power Outlet Module and x-10 Legacy Programming  (Read 8714 times)

paluszak

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
Insteon 2472DWH Power Outlet Module and x-10 Legacy Programming
« on: January 25, 2020, 09:23:21 PM »

First of all, I have been using x-10 forever, and I plan to continue using it as long as I'm able to (or as long as I can can find components).   Frankly, I like it. It works for me, and I know the "in's and out's" of the protocol (specifically the quirks and intricacies of the sometimes VERY frustrating signal transmissions.  To me, it is very dependable.  So yes, I am stubborn, but I am also fairly intelligent though, and being so, I see the writing on the wall (for many years now to be fair) and so knowing x-10 is the home-automation dinosaur, I have been replacing my modules one by one with the Insteon counterparts. 

This all said, I was wondering if I could ask this group a question about one of those new devices...  Does ANYONE know the specific programming steps for the Insteon 2472DWH wall outlet?  I know that you use the same procedure as the switches pretty much (i.e. hold the program button in until it turns green and then send the desired x-10 command 3 times), but with a Power Outlet that has no ON/OFF switch then how do you do the "opposite"?  For example, if I push the program button for 3 seconds and send x-10 ON 3 times, that links it to ON, but how do I then send the OFF command to that same outlet???

Thanks kindly in advance for ANY assistance anyone can offer on this.  Please don't respond telling me to "read the manual".  I have, obviously, and it's not there, and the link to info on how to on this site is less than helpful with power outlet modules! 

Jason
Eaton Rapids, MI

petera

• PI Expert
  • Helpful Post Rating: 27
Re: Insteon 2472DWH Power Outlet Module and x-10 Legacy Programming
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2020, 11:20:49 PM »

You could use HomeGenie as fortunately it has native support for Insteon. Here’s a link to the commands used in Insteon. https://genielabs.github.io/HomeGenie/api/mig/mig_api_insteon.html
Regarding Insteon setup I’m sure there’s plenty of support forums out there. A quick Google should throw up a few.

x10wizard

• Helpful Post Rating: 4
« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2020, 12:00:27 AM »

This all said, I was wondering if I could ask this group a question about one of those new devices...  Does ANYONE know the specific programming steps for the Insteon 2472DWH wall outlet?  I know that you use the same procedure as the switches pretty much (i.e. hold the program button in until it turns green and then send the desired x-10 command 3 times), but with a Power Outlet that has no ON/OFF switch then how do you do the "opposite"?  For example, if I push the program button for 3 seconds and send x-10 ON 3 times, that links it to ON, but how do I then send the OFF command to that same outlet???

Thanks kindly in advance for ANY assistance anyone can offer on this.  Please don't respond telling me to "read the manual".  I have, obviously, and it's not there, and the link to info on how to on this site is less than helpful with power outlet modules! 

Owners Manual https://cache-m2.smarthome.com/manuals/2472D.pdf

On page 9 there is a link to X10 Programming instructions https://www.smarthome.com/insteon-x10-programming.html

Setting The X10 Primary Address:
Put your Insteon device into linking mode (press and hold the Set button for about 3 seconds).
LED will blink.
Send the desired X10 Primary Address followed by ON 3 times (e.g. A1-AON A1-AON A1-AON).
Your Insteon device will exit linking mode and its LED will stop blinking.

That's it.  You can only assign one X10 address to the 2472D.  Test it after you're done programming ... send an X10 ON command, the lamp should turn on, send an X10 OFF command, the lamp should turn off.

paluszak

« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2020, 01:19:53 AM »

Thank you VERY much for your reply but unfortunately this does not work.  I press and hold the program button for 3 seconds until it beeps and the light turns green and then I program in the A1 - AON, A1 - AON, A1 - AON (3 times) and it beeps again and the light goes solid RED.  I then try it by turning on a plugged in lamp and it makes a very faint beep and the solid red light goes to blinking red.  The light never turns on and does nothing actually until I unplug light and re-plug into bottom outlet?

Hopefully I am just missing something simple here?

Jason

Brian H

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 305
« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2020, 06:22:05 AM »

The 2474D is a dimmer type outlet and needs the special interlock key on the loads plug. So the user has to enable it for a known proper load. For the controlled outlet to be enabled.

The chart on page 5 of the manual indicates a slow blinking RED LED. Could be the interlock key is not on the lamps power plug. Is the interlock key on the lamps power plug? Smarthome and and an Amazon vendor. Are still listing the 2472DK replacement interlock keys if you need one or want a spare if the original one is lost.

If you are trying to control a light that is not an incandescent type load. It could be  interacting with the dimmer circuit and it is acting incorrectly. The fact the module acts strange until you unplug the load is an indication it is not a load the dimmer can control properly or the interlock key is missing. If it is a dimmable LED light. It may or may not work correctly. Some work OK and others do not.

If you need an On/Off type OutletLinc. The older 2473SWH {white} On/Off OutletLinc would accept an X10 address. The new Dual Band 2663-222 with both outlets controllable. Does not list X10 support. Though some that officially dropped X10 support still do.
« Last Edit: January 26, 2020, 10:57:13 AM by Brian H »

dave w

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 139
« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2020, 02:51:12 PM »

The 2474D is a dimmer type outlet and needs the special interlock key on the loads plug.
Not to derail this post, but what does this key do? I see it has a magnet, so I assume is enabling the dimmable outlet. Is it Smarthome's way of trying to ensure the load is a light?
"This aftershave makes me look fat"

brobin

• Helpful Post Rating: 157
« Reply #6 on: January 26, 2020, 03:48:41 PM »

Since most appliance type loads have a ground pin and most lamps do not, I think it's a way of blocking appliance type devices from being plugged in and the magnet probably closes a reed switch to prevent bypassing the key.  Not exactly foolproof as there are plenty of appliance loads without ground pins.

paluszak

« Reply #7 on: January 26, 2020, 04:22:59 PM »

FIXED!  That's exactly what it was!  It needs this OutletLinc Dimmer Key (that I had never even heard of before this discussion).  I don't have the key (it must have fallen out of the packaging at some point) but I do have a very thin / small magnet that works FINE until I get a replacement.

At first I thought this sounded ridiculous, but as I got to thinking about it, it's actually a very ingenious way to make sure only the proper, predesignated DIMMABLE LAMPS are used in this outlet!

Thanks again to EVERYONE for chiming in!

Jason

brobin

• Helpful Post Rating: 157
« Reply #8 on: January 26, 2020, 04:27:27 PM »

Glad you got it working!

Brian H

• Community Organizer
« Reply #9 on: January 26, 2020, 06:15:51 PM »

The 2474D is a dimmer type outlet and needs the special interlock key on the loads plug.
Not to derail this post, but what does this key do? I see it has a magnet, so I assume is enabling the dimmable outlet. Is it Smarthome's way of trying to ensure the load is a light?

From what I have read. Outlets by code are not allowed to be controlled with a dimmer. Where an incorrect load can be accidentally connected. The magnetic key. Closes an internal magnetic reed switch to allow it to operate the outlets load connection. It probably also allows the dimmer to be code compliant. The user then is responsible for the proper load being connected.
« Last Edit: January 26, 2020, 06:26:28 PM by Brian H »

Brian H

• Community Organizer
« Reply #10 on: January 26, 2020, 06:24:59 PM »

Glad you got it working.

You are correct. The button on the bottom edge of the key is a small magnet and it closes a magnetic reed switch to tell the electronics the user has connected a proper load.

I have one tip.
Get a few of the 2472DK Keys before they are all gone. In case you misplace one. They are still showing stock available.
The 2472D,2473S and latest 2663-222 outlet modules are all marked in Red letters "Product Is Unavailable". That may mean have to order more or discontinued.

I know the present owners Richmond Capital Partners are making big changes to Smarthome. New items in the works while others are going to be dropped completely when the present inventory is used up. Outsourcing Customer Support to a third party.
« Last Edit: January 26, 2020, 06:29:34 PM by Brian H »

dave w

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 139
« Reply #11 on: January 27, 2020, 07:57:31 PM »

I know the present owners Richmond Capital Partners are making big changes to Smarthome.
Are you still doing beta testing for them?
"This aftershave makes me look fat"

Brian H

• Community Organizer
« Reply #12 on: January 28, 2020, 06:20:54 AM »

No I don't do beta testing anymore. The Developers Group disappeared suddenly with out any notice. The files I had paid to access through the group. For awhile was publicly accessible. Then disappeared again.

I suspect there is a Developers Group now strictly for developing. In the early days of Insteon. The group was for both developers and hardware types like I am.

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.