Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: IoT under attack!  (Read 1751 times)

bkenobi

• PI Expert
  • Helpful Post Rating: 24
IoT under attack!
« on: February 25, 2020, 12:14:49 PM »

https://www.vice.com/en_us/article/3a8pgj/internet-of-things-tracking-app-spying

Well, the internet is at it again.  They just can't stop harping on IoT devices claiming security holes and suggesting conspiracy theories about where these mysterious network packets are going in China and what possible use a foreign entity would have with photographs of random people and places.  Good grief...just stop worrying and love the IoT.   >*<

dave w

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 139
Re: IoT under attack!
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2020, 06:46:48 PM »

Everything is made in China now.
If you use bubble wrap, be careful not to pop the bubbles. The air is from China.

just sayin.
"This aftershave makes me look fat"

Tuicemen

• Administrator
  • Helpful Post Rating: 282
  • I don't work for X10, I use it successfuly!
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2020, 06:42:58 AM »

rofl rofl coffee out my nose rofl rofl
Please Read Topic:
General Forum Etiquette
Before you post!

bkenobi

• PI Expert
« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2020, 10:26:27 AM »

Everything is made in China now.
If you use bubble wrap, be careful not to pop the bubbles. The air is from China.

just sayin.

So when I open my Amazon delivery I need a mask to avoid Coronavirus?  Oh man...   B:(

JeffVolp

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 122
    • XTB Home Page
« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2020, 10:53:14 AM »

Maybe that is a selling feature for those of us who bought their bubble wrap over a year ago?

New advertisement - "Shipped in vintage bubble wrap for your safety!"

Jeff
X-10 automation since the BSR days

brobin

• Helpful Post Rating: 157
« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2020, 01:07:10 PM »

Maybe not so far fetched although I doubt C19 would survive the journey.  When I did some manufacturing in China 20 years ago I toured several factories in Shenzhen and Guangzhou and they all had the same very distinctive industrial smell unlike anything I'd smelled before or have since.  Even today I can still catch a whiff of that scent when opening some products from China. 

BTW, for anyone searching for N95 masks, which are out of stock at a fair price almost everywhere, the Rural King store near me had plenty of Milwaukee brand masks at $20 for a box of 10.

bkenobi

• PI Expert
« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2020, 10:00:20 AM »

So if you are an investor, medical and construction mask manufacturers will have a good quarterly outlook.  Got it.

brobin

« Reply #7 on: February 27, 2020, 11:50:07 AM »

Problem is most are made in China and they're not letting any out. That's why all the usual places are out of stock.

bkenobi

• PI Expert
« Reply #8 on: February 28, 2020, 12:17:33 PM »

Ahhh, so if anyone can get some masks built at quantity and to store shelves in the next few weeks, they can retire by the end of the year.

brobin

« Reply #9 on: February 28, 2020, 12:31:14 PM »

It'd have to be REALLY fast.  We're at the height of flu season and this thing'll likely be over by the end of May.

HA Dave

• Helpful Post Rating: 175
« Reply #10 on: February 28, 2020, 05:23:10 PM »

.... If you use bubble wrap, be careful not to pop the bubbles. The air is from China.

So when I open my Amazon delivery I need a mask to avoid Coronavirus?  Oh man...   B:(

So where are most of the mask's made? Would you be wearing a possibly contaminated (infected?) mask to protect you from another possibly contaminated product?
Home Automation is an always changing technology

brobin

« Reply #11 on: February 28, 2020, 05:31:56 PM »

.... If you use bubble wrap, be careful not to pop the bubbles. The air is from China.

So where are most of the mask's made? Would you be wearing a possibly contaminated (infected?) mask to protect you from another possibly contaminated product?

Even if an infected person sneezed on the mask the length of time between the sneeze and you putting it on would kill the virus. It can live on a surface for as long as nine days. (In comparison, flu viruses can last on surfaces for only about 48 hours.)  You could always zap the mask in the microwave to be sure.
https://www.livescience.com/how-long-coronavirus-last-surfaces.html

HA Dave

« Reply #12 on: February 28, 2020, 05:51:16 PM »

It's really a tiny little world now-a-days. IoT devices, or a new virus.... we are all connected... like it or not.

The American Government (primary the NSA) began the spying via data collection on average people many years ago. Although spying on individuals has and will always remain popular with governments. The idea of cracking the "human code" was the idea that lead to the tracking and recording of every phone in North America.

The idea is similar to the way native Americans learned to harvest buffaloes. Learn the heard mentally. Once you know how to cause a stampede... on demand....and you know the lay of the land. A small hunting party can then cause a herd to stampede in a direction that pushes large numbers of protein and hide laden critters off a cliff. Prosperity at no risk... and little effort.

The idea is that humans are just simple and predictive enough that they can be controlled with proper data collection and utilization. It's every politicians dream. The rumor is that this advanced technology was put to use in the 2016 presidential election..... making Hillary Clinton the first female American President.   :'

IoT devices do NOT in anyway make us safer. And Pandemics do NOT make us healthier. But I am not sure either will cause any of us any immediate harm.

HA Dave

« Reply #13 on: February 28, 2020, 06:01:08 PM »

Even if an infected person sneezed on the mask the length of time between the sneeze and you putting it on would kill the virus. It can live on a surface for as long as nine days.

Yes. Every medical graduate of Google U knows there is no chance that an event that could interrupt markets (and drive down profits)... could ever happen.

The facts are.... no real Doctor actually knows how long the coronavirus can remain viable on an inert surface. In fact (real fact) several (once living) Doctors have succumb to the virus and died.... while practicing known conventional preventative procedures, 

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.