Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Please help me find my lost X10 hand controller.  (Read 2191 times)

TimFromPhx

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
Please help me find my lost X10 hand controller.
« on: March 12, 2020, 07:50:12 PM »

I lost an X10 hand transmitter and its continuously transmitting (J5 off). It has overwhelmed my Stargate home automation computer and essentially disabled it. It runs my home and greenhouse and I really need its functionality.

Does anyone know of a way to pick up the signal from the transmitter to help me locate it? I own the following equipment: 100 MHz Fluke digital oscilloscope, shortwave radio, signal tracers used when pulling network cabling and a signal tracer for pipes and underground cabling.

I live in Phoenix, AZ. If someone knows of somewhere here I might be able to rent the equipment I need it would be helpful.

I have an X10 antenna mounted high in my house and I was wondering if I could perhaps put some sort of shielding around it to make it directional so if I pointed it away from the transmitter it would stop picking up the (J5 off) transmission. If I moved around with the antenna maybe I could triangulate the direction of the transmitter. I have already spent about six hours looking for it. I could lose quite a bit of food in my greenhouse if I can't resolve this soon.

I really appreciate your help. If someone wants to call me on the phone, please email me directly and I can send you my number.

bkenobi

• PI Expert
  • Helpful Post Rating: 24
Re: Please help me find my lost X10 hand controller.
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2020, 02:47:55 AM »

My first thought would be an SDR and directional antenna.

petera

• PI Expert
  • Helpful Post Rating: 27
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2020, 09:41:33 AM »

If it is battery operated I imagine the battery will eventually run flat quite quickly if it’s permanently in transmit mode. Had a similar incident a while back where the remote fell between two cushions on a chair and would transmit when someone sat down. I assume you’ve checked all chairs, bookshelves or anywhere someone may have placed books or heavy objects on top of the transmitter. Not a technical solution but something to bear in mind.

Tuicemen

• Administrator
  • Helpful Post Rating: 282
  • I don't work for X10, I use it successfuly!
« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2020, 09:54:45 AM »

I also had a simular problem.
I like others have a bin for unused x10 modules, remotes, keyflobs.....
I had forgotten to remove batteries from a keyflob before placing it in that bin. When the bin was moved the keyflob button got wedged against the side of the bin sending a fire storm of signals, this took me weeks to root out. Once I found the offending device I went through the bin only to find a few more devices with batteries. B:(
Please Read Topic:
General Forum Etiquette
Before you post!

bkenobi

• PI Expert
« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2020, 04:39:49 PM »

Time to break out the white vinegar solution at that point.

Tuicemen

• Administrator
  • Helpful Post Rating: 282
  • I don't work for X10, I use it successfuly!
« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2020, 07:01:46 PM »

Time to break out the white vinegar solution at that point.
yep had to do one remote. I'm not sure why I bothered though, it will probably never be used again.  ::) :'
Please Read Topic:
General Forum Etiquette
Before you post!

dave w

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 139
« Reply #6 on: March 14, 2020, 09:14:16 AM »

I lost an X10 hand transmitter and its continuously transmitting (J5 off). It has overwhelmed my Stargate home automation computer and essentially disabled it.
with things that dire, I would disable the receiver and control everything manually until the batteries die.
"This aftershave makes me look fat"

brobin

• Helpful Post Rating: 157
« Reply #7 on: March 14, 2020, 10:46:48 AM »

For the time being you could unplug all your transceivers so the Stargate's signals will still work. If you have multiple transceivers check after each one as there may only be one in range and that would help localize the problem. I've had the same thing happen with mini controllers without any buttons being pressed.
BTW, I'm a long time Stargate user too.

bkenobi

• PI Expert
« Reply #8 on: March 24, 2020, 11:18:44 AM »

Another suggestion that may not help or may be the perfect solution.  If you have a small setup and are able to, perhaps rotate the HC wheel on all of your devices to use something other than J.  That way the transceivers will ignore it and even if it's picked up, nothing will respond.  This probably won't help you use a different remote though as, depending on the rate the transmitter fires, it could wipe out all other RF that is sent at the same time.  I doubt it's 100% duty cycle on the RF band though so this shouldn't be an issue.

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.