Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Nothing lasts forever  (Read 2780 times)

HA Dave

• Helpful Post Rating: 175
Nothing lasts forever
« on: November 30, 2020, 10:10:14 AM »

My 1st Generation Echo Dot seems to have failed for some reason. I knew sooner or later it would fail... after all everything does. I thought it may be noteworthy to track such things.

The best I can tell I got this device in 2015-2016. Whereas it wasn't released to the 'wild" until March 26, 2016... it was offered early to Amazon prime members. I know I jumped on the Amazon "bandwagon" as soon as (I realized) it rolled into town. I may be able to track down an exact date... but I am content with (for such a fractional sample size) the 4-5 year lifespan.

The glass I drink water from is almost always half full, and it this case that remains true as well. It's an excellent time to buy "deals" at Amazon.... PARTICULARLY Amazon devices.   
Home Automation is an always changing technology

SkipWX10

• Helpful Post Rating: 1
Re: Nothing lasts forever
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2020, 06:14:16 PM »

To that....I was just remarking to myself how discolored one of my Radio Shack lamp modules from the 1970's looks because it has been plugged in above a heat register for the last 16 years of it's life.....

HA Dave

« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2020, 09:45:22 PM »

To that....I was just remarking to myself how discolored one of my Radio Shack lamp modules from the 1970's looks because it has been plugged in above a heat register for the last 16 years of it's life.....

I know! I've had some X10 parts go south.... but so much of that X10 old school tech can perform flawlessly for decades.

I look at contemporary technology as being like bananas. If you buy too early..... bananas are too green and unuseable. And buying bananas too late... they are too ripe they turn black on the outside and get squishy on the inside. Bananas and technology... both have a very desirable albeit way too short of a lifespan.

I myself... don't have a solution. I'd loved to had seen X10 develop a hub (with an Amazon skill). I've done A LOT to intergrate my setup (and I haven't given up yet). I don't know where this all will go... or end-up.   

brobin

• Helpful Post Rating: 157
« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2020, 10:51:01 PM »

My 1st Generation Echo Dot seems to have failed for some reason. I knew sooner or later it would fail... after all everything does. I thought it may be noteworthy to track such things.

The best I can tell I got this device in 2015-2016. Whereas it wasn't released to the 'wild" until March 26, 2016... it was offered early to Amazon prime members. I know I jumped on the Amazon "bandwagon" as soon as (I realized) it rolled into town. I may be able to track down an exact date... but I am content with (for such a fractional sample size) the 4-5 year lifespan.

The glass I drink water from is almost always half full, and it this case that remains true as well. It's an excellent time to buy "deals" at Amazon.... PARTICULARLY Amazon devices.   

I too have one of the first gen 1 echos that stopped working just yesterday.  Checked the output on the wall wart - zip, nada, nothing. Ordered a new one for $10 as a cyber Monday deal today hoping that's the only issue.

Brian H

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 305
« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2020, 09:13:02 AM »

I have some modules that are now discolored.
One controls a under counter fluorescent light and it shines on the module when On.

brobin

« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2020, 10:37:50 AM »

All my BSR brown ones still look great! In a room with wood paneling and black outlets the BSR modules are inconspicuous so I have 5 in use and some spares. 

HA Dave

« Reply #6 on: December 01, 2020, 12:45:12 PM »

I too have one of the first gen echos that stopped working just yesterday.  Checked the output on the wall wart - zip, nada, nothing. Ordered a new one for $10 as a cyber Monday deal today hoping that's the only issue.

Yep.... sounds like the same as mine. I didn't pitch it! I just UNregistered it and removed it from service. I am guessing there will be an update for it in the near future.

Meanwhile.... since the unit had been relegated to the upstairs bathroom... I (also?) ordered a $9.99 little Echo Flex unit (should arrive Thursday). I also jumped on a deal that offered both a 3rd gen Echo and an Amazon smart Plug (both for $23.99). This puts me at 7 units... 8 if the old one updates and recovers.

..... Stopped working or was stopped working.

Major round of recent firmware updates and some amazing reports coming through. Apple and the battery fiasco. All sounds too familiar don't you think.

I had the same thought. It was my 1st/original Amazon device. And for whatever reason(s) it reported all messages and notifications... which seems to have "hung it up" (with the circling notification green light).  Hopefully... Amazon will come-up with an update.

There is VERY MUCH a part of me that misses the stability of the old analog world. I liked the old days with 3 TV channels.... as opposed to todays smart TV with a zillion apps... some of which carry monthly fees. I think it's only a matter of time until many Home Automation features will only be available via a monthly fee as well. 
« Last Edit: December 01, 2020, 12:47:14 PM by HA Dave »

HA Dave

« Reply #7 on: December 01, 2020, 12:49:34 PM »

All my BSR brown ones still look great! In a room with wood paneling and black outlets the BSR modules are inconspicuous so I have 5 in use and some spares.

Most of my X10 is now the rocker-style wall switches or a handful of modules that are out of sight. No one would ever notice either.

brobin

« Reply #8 on: December 01, 2020, 01:47:43 PM »

I too have one of the first gen 1 echos that stopped working just yesterday.  Checked the output on the wall wart - zip, nada, nothing. Ordered a new one for $10 as a cyber Monday deal today hoping that's the only issue.

The new wall wart arrived and the Gen 1 Echo is back in business.   amzn.to/33ybNNK

HA Dave

« Reply #9 on: December 01, 2020, 04:16:03 PM »

The new wall wart arrived and the Gen 1 Echo is back in business.   amzn.to/33ybNNK

Well... I miss read that. I'd checked mine with a different power supply. Maybe I should double check... but don't think that was my problem.

brobin

« Reply #10 on: December 01, 2020, 04:35:23 PM »

Well... I miss read that. I'd checked mine with a different power supply. Maybe I should double check... but don't think that was my problem.

Yeah, it's 15 volts... sort of an oddball.

HA Dave

« Reply #11 on: December 02, 2020, 04:31:28 PM »

Well the digital resuscitation (I tried repeatedly with a wall-wart I know works) brought no new signs of life to my departed..... dot. And the attempted seance failed to reach it's (apparently) wandering spirit. May bathroom dot (her full name) rest in Peace.

But... on the bright side... the Echo Flex (the dot's replacement) arrived today. It had already been assigned a position (and name) in my phone's Amazon Alexa App. Set-up took less than a minute.

Tuicemen had reviewed the Flex sometime ago. I don't think I have anymore to add. A simple and yet completely satisfactory device.

brobin

« Reply #12 on: December 02, 2020, 05:01:48 PM »

I have a couple of the Flex units and really like them because 1) I don't use them for music; 2) for my old ears, Alexa is easier to understand on the lo-fi speakers, and; 3) they plug in like a wall wart which is perfect for the bathroom and garage.  And at just 10 bucks on sale the price is amazing.

HA Dave

« Reply #13 on: December 02, 2020, 10:33:29 PM »

I have a couple of the Flex units and really like them....... And at just 10 bucks on sale the price is amazing.

Yes. So little can be bought for $10 now-a-days... The Echo Flex would have to be the best hightech 10 bucks I've spent.

I have several different Echo/Alexa type devices besides the new "flex". 3 dots (the one that died has a new replacement coming). I have two of the bigger Echo's (one with great sound, and one with the added Zig Bee radio). I have the small 5 inch show (with the screen) that will display some of my cameras on request. And the Amazon Earbuds that allows me to remain connected even when out cycling.

I like this stuff.... I like it alot. 

HA Dave

« Reply #14 on: December 03, 2020, 11:05:52 AM »

About 27 years ago.... we'd all just been issued desktop computers at work. We were assigned email accounts and tasked with checking our emails and working towards becoming "paperless" (the buzz-word of the time). A entirely new language of technological terminology was becoming the norm.... and some (many) were getting left behind.

I decided to "de-magic-ize" the tech and make the new references more meaningful with a "what's-in-the-box" display. I opened up a beige box desktop, and labeled and described the main components. Then I set it up on a table in our lobby. Absolutely no one was interested, and no one seemed to learn much of anything. I think most people retired without doing much more than learning how to read email.

Today... after a 3rd try to resuscitate the dead dot... I took it apart to get a look inside. A sort of... "what's-in-the-dot".

Pages: [1] 2

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.