Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: EcoBee Thermostat display  (Read 2663 times)

Tuicemen

• Administrator
  • Helpful Post Rating: 282
  • I don't work for X10, I use it successfuly!
EcoBee Thermostat display
« on: March 17, 2021, 06:37:12 PM »

"Widget is Not compatible with new UI however it is possible to convert to the generic thermostat widget or utilize the new custom widget"
See https://forums.x10.com/index.php?topic=31467.msg189083#msg189083 for more info

Recently we updated our HVAC system which included a EcoBee Smart WiFi Thermostat.
I noticed there was a API for it and thought it would be nice to add the info to HG. These thermostats are simular to the Nest. Even the API is simular yet different enough to not be interchangable. Unable to locate a program for this I started to put something together. At the same sametime soxfan1966  was working on a Nest therometer display so we pooled our knowledge. The Nest thermostat program for HG was outdated but the widget was usable to a degree for both projects. Since I'm still in the heating season I've not been able to test this out yet for issues with the AC display.
Currently this is an info display only program but I'll add triggering based off the temperature and humidity reading down the road. Since I only have one Ecobee thermometer and no additional sensors (yet), there is no code for those extras.
This program is for the Ecobee 3 lite however the api apparently works with all versions of Ecobee thermostats.
« Last Edit: February 07, 2023, 05:23:38 PM by Tuicemen »
Please Read Topic:
General Forum Etiquette
Before you post!

soxfan1966

• Helpful Post Rating: 3
Re: EcoBee Thermostat display
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2021, 07:42:21 PM »

I've got the Nest version running, and it's just display as well which is all I wanted.  In anyone is interested I can also share what I have here.

Tuicemen

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2021, 08:37:41 AM »

I managed to add the temperature and humidity to the Weather Alerter program so it is possible to trigger x10 or other devices in HG with either the Nest or Ecobee info.
 I plan to trigger things based off humidity readings. I haven't thought of any temperature based triggering as yet. 
 I've decided to incorporate the three widget designs into one. The overall look is the same as I previously posted except when in heat or cool mode . When in these modes and status is showing Heating or Cooling the icons will change color.
« Last Edit: March 20, 2021, 09:59:48 AM by Tuicemen »
Please Read Topic:
General Forum Etiquette
Before you post!

soxfan1966

« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2021, 10:24:37 AM »

I'd be interested in the Weather Alerter Changes (It would be cool to get an email notification based on the thermostat temp or humidity level).

And I'd also like to check out the widget you made - I have been using the Nest one which suits my needs but is bloated with the stuff I don't need.

Tuicemen

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2021, 12:11:56 PM »

I'm still working out the layout  with the combination of widgets into one as. Soon as I have it working correctly I'll send you a copy.

The Weather Alerter changes should work with any program that sends Temperature and Humidity values.
I'll get it posted soon with an explanation how to set it for the Nest or other thermostat, sensor.
Please Read Topic:
General Forum Etiquette
Before you post!

Tuicemen

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2021, 05:04:54 PM »

I had some time today to merge the 3 widgets so I posted the widget and program to the OP.
The widget may still need some fine tuning when in cool mode and status is cooling for the color changes. Just a bit to cool to test the air just yet. ;)
The widget will need a few changes made for the setpoint temperatures for the Nest to display the setpoint values but I believe everything else should work.
Please Read Topic:
General Forum Etiquette
Before you post!

Tuicemen

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: March 20, 2021, 06:34:28 PM »

Here are some screen shots of the widget.
 There are 4 status levels Heating, Cooling, Circulating, and idle.
Circulating means just the fan is running no color for icons
Heating means furnace is firing flame icons are red
Cooling means Air conditioner is running cool icons are light blue
idle  is just that nothing is running the display is same as Circulating

There are also 4 modes heat, cool, auto, and off however there is no text indication for off.
The heat and cool modes allow displaying of proper icons and their corresponding temperature setpoint
Since the EcoBee 3 lite only has two settings for the fan it will either display Auto or On. On displays if fan is set to be continuously running.
« Last Edit: March 20, 2021, 06:59:17 PM by Tuicemen »
Please Read Topic:
General Forum Etiquette
Before you post!

Tuicemen

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: March 22, 2021, 11:04:35 AM »

I'd be interested in the Weather Alerter Changes (It would be cool to get an email notification based on the thermostat temp or humidity level).
Does the Nest thermostat not offer that option?
The EcoBee has that option though I forget how I set it up now (from the Web UI or App)  ::) :'
Please Read Topic:
General Forum Etiquette
Before you post!

soxfan1966

« Reply #8 on: March 22, 2021, 12:06:51 PM »

I'm not sure, I will have to check into it on the Nest App side.

Tuicemen

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: February 07, 2023, 01:31:44 PM »

The new HG UI rendered all custom widgets useless this means trying to adapt the program to a generic widget or use the new custom widget option for the new UI :-\ ::) :'
in this case I chose to utilize the new custom widget option as I was successful in doing this for my MagWeb program info displaying the webpage.
I had originally thought I could just point to the Ecobee webpage similarly, however that wasn't the case. :(
Digging into the developer api I found a reference sample which I decided to play with.
I followed the instructions from https://www.ecobee.com/home/developer/api/sample-apps/reference-api-app.shtml
it required  nodejs so I installed it on my pi using
Code: [Select]
sudo apt install nodejsI next installed the sample program using
wget https://www.ecobee.com/home/developer/api-reference-app.zip and
sudo unzip api-reference-app.zipWith some easy editing I was able to get a usable webpage for the custom widget which is simply a html file  located in the data/widget/tuicemens folder you could just place it in the widget folder.  the html file "MyEcobee.html" and it shows up in the custom widget edit option as tuicemens/MyEcobee
this allows me to see the info I wanted plus the ability to set a hold temperature using the - or + buttons I can the remove the hold pressing the resume button.
It is also possible to switch between Ecobee thermostats (if yo have more then one)
« Last Edit: February 07, 2023, 01:33:44 PM by Tuicemen »
Please Read Topic:
General Forum Etiquette
Before you post!

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.