Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Google and or Alexa skills to increase your HA Potential  (Read 1762 times)

Tuicemen

• Administrator
  • Helpful Post Rating: 282
  • I don't work for X10, I use it successfuly!
Google and or Alexa skills to increase your HA Potential
« on: January 12, 2022, 03:24:48 PM »

Many SmartHome devices have there own skills and these skills can be expanded on using Alexa routines.
Not sure if Google has something similar to routines (I just don't use mine enough)
However I found a couple that can expand your HA setups potential.
1: TRIGGERcmd Smarthome, this is available for both Alexa and google and allows you to control many none smart devices even X10 devices.
2: Voice Monkey, this appears to only be available for Alexa :(  it allows custom Alexa voice responses from button presses

Both these do require some time to setup but both would work with AHP(x10), other software or other Skills.
Both are free, however there are use # limitations for both.
 For Voice Monkey you can create as many virtual triggers or buttons as you need (up to the Amazon limit of 300) for FREE.
 For TRIGGERcmd Smarthome you can only make 1 Alexa/Google request per min. If you need more then that you have to subscribe.
It will send you a please subscribe email each time you try to make more then one request per min. A subscription is $19.95 per year
I suggest you play with it for a while before you subscribe. The developer has also stated he'll look into doing something similar to what Voice monkey does for the Smarthome skill in the future.  :)%
There are lots others on here that use Alexa & or Google much more then me so they may have their own skill recommendations
« Last Edit: January 18, 2022, 09:55:59 AM by Tuicemen »
Please Read Topic:
General Forum Etiquette
Before you post!

Moose

• Helpful Post Rating: 1
Re: Google & or Alexa skills to increase your HA Potential
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2022, 01:05:49 PM »

I am using Voice Monkey in combination with Homeseer and UNIFI cameras. Using the person and vehicle detection from my Unifi G4 cameras, I have Alexa announce that there is a person near the door or a vehicle in the laneway. It works well.

Tuicemen

• Administrator
  • Helpful Post Rating: 282
  • I don't work for X10, I use it successfuly!
Re: Google and or Alexa skills to increase your HA Potential
« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2022, 02:16:23 PM »

I've not tried Voice Monkey yet but it does sound like a nice fit for alerts from HomeGenie.
« Last Edit: January 18, 2022, 09:56:23 AM by Tuicemen »
Please Read Topic:
General Forum Etiquette
Before you post!

cfsaw

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
Re: Google and or Alexa skills to increase your HA Potential
« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2022, 11:17:43 PM »

Easiest way to connect your existing devices to Alexa using a Bond Bridge...
Works well with x10 technology / modules
Reviewed in the United States on August 10, 2022
This is by far the simplest way to integrate x10 technology with Alexa as you do not need any computers, software or subscriptions. This device emulates rf commands sent by an x10 remote. I used a palm pad remote to program the device. You simply setup a generic device for each switch on/off and name the device what you want Alexa to respond to. It took less than 1 hour to get everything up and running. They offer great technical support as well. I would highly recommend this product.

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.