Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: will a cm15a and a wm100 play together ???  (Read 1732 times)

carlf40216@yahoo.com

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
will a cm15a and a wm100 play together ???
« on: February 10, 2022, 08:43:49 PM »

Like this. I have a couple of simple macros on a cm15a.  Can I tell a wm100 (vis wi-fi) to run one of those macros ??
And if so does the wm100 lose all of it's programming during a power outage which could be retained if the wm100 was plugged into a UPS ??  Thanks just trying to justify to myself that I really want to purchase a wm100.  I really know I am goin to just how soon.  Thanks for looking,  Carl Ford -:)

brobin

• Helpful Post Rating: 157
Re: will a cm15a and a wm100 play together ???
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2022, 10:02:19 PM »

If you read through the posts here you'll find a lot of folks have been disappointed in the WM100.  There's an option you may want to consider that's less expensive and does more.

The solution a growing number of us here are using is a Smartenit Harmony P2 with a bundled Insteon 2412U PLM.  At $75 for both it's an economical solution that not only gives you Alexa skill supported control of X10 but an app and a sophisticated automation controller with email and text notifications.  I've been using it for almost 3 years and it's rock solid.  It's basically what X10's WM100 should have been but for a lower price and with better functionality.

It's virtually plug 'n play so you can be up and running 30 minutes after you open the box.  Everything is done through an Android/IOS app or web portal.  In addition to X10, you can also use it to control Insteon and ZigBee devices should you ever wish to.  It has it's own real time clock and does sunrise/sunset calculations based on where you live.  There have been no server interruptions in the time I've had it and the company and support are in the USA.

It retains all programming and the time after a power failure and can trigger macros in other controllers. 

The P2 plugs into an Ethernet port on your router or switch.

https://smartenit.com/shop/zigbee-insteon-x10-multi-protocol-gateway-hub/

If you order be sure to click the selection to include the 'Add Insteon/X10 powerline only PLM.' bringing the total to $74.99.

Feel free to ask any questions.

Tuicemen

• Administrator
  • Helpful Post Rating: 282
  • I don't work for X10, I use it successfuly!
« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2022, 07:28:36 AM »

The WM100 can trigger macros in a CM15 if the macro can be triggered by a X10 plc signal. The WM100 has scenes and timers which can be programed into it. The memory is retained through a power outage but not time. I still run a Wm100 & CM15 at both my off grid and city residences.
 I believe those that were not happy with the WM100 were looking for it to replace the cm15 and it can't. Either can what brobin suggests.
  If you keep your cm15 conected to a PC 24/7 There really is no need for extra hardware to get wifi control to trigger cm15 macros.there are a few third party software options that will allow this. If not there are a few options. My favorite would be a raspberry pi connected to the CM15 running either mochad or Home Genie. Next would be the combo brobin suggest however I've  never tried this. The last I would consider is the WM100.
Please Read Topic:
General Forum Etiquette
Before you post!

SkipWX10

• Helpful Post Rating: 1
« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2022, 07:31:36 AM »

While I have added the Harmony setup brobin has suggested to add ALexa functionality to my system and can vouch for it's ease of setup, I also have a CM15a controlling all of my timers and macros with a WM100 running as well. While I do not do so currently, I had the WM100 set to trigger one of the macros in the CM15a and it worked just fine and allowed me to trigger the macro from my phone, which was the purpose.

As for power outages, the WM100 does not lose programming but it does lose the correct time, so when power is restored and it reconnects to your wireless router, it will be set to a different time than your cell phone and will prompt you to restore the correct time in the WM100 when you open the app.

ETA:Tuiceman and I were typing at the same time ;-)
« Last Edit: February 11, 2022, 07:33:07 AM by SkipWX10 »

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.