Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Stargate malfunction  (Read 2428 times)

stargateuser

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
Stargate malfunction
« on: June 28, 2022, 03:36:05 PM »

I have a Stargate and have been using it for over 20 years.  Since the widespread use of led lighting and cfl bulbs it has been untrust worthy. The maxi controller displays the unit name a dozen or so times but does not always send the execution command. In addition it shows strings of binary code.
Years ago Jeff Stein suggested a hard reboot and gave me instructions on how to perform.  I think I need to reperform that action but do not have the full software to reload the firmware.  Jeff is retired and is understandably not inclined to offer much help. JDS Tech seems to be out of business.
Anybody have any great ideas or a copy of WinEvenMgr, Fwtool and the hex file for the firmware?

Stargateuser

brobin

• Helpful Post Rating: 157
Re: Stargate malfunction
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2022, 03:59:36 PM »

I too am still using my Stargate for over 20 years and have copies of all of the programs which I'm happy to share.  However, a power off reboot may be enough. Disconnect the battery backup then the power supply, wait a minute and reconnect.  Even though the coin cell battery is still in place, I've found that doing it as I described is sufficient.

Another thing to look at is the TW-523 which may be the culprit.  Try another one if you have one.  If not, unplug the one you have to reboot it.  If you have a screenshot of the stuff you're seeing maybe I can help decipher it.

While X10 modules do have issues with some LED bulbs, that would have no effect on the Stargate since all it's doing is sending commands to the TW-523 (PSC05). You can still find them on ebay or get a much improved version from Jeff Volp at http://jvde.us/xtb/xtb-523.pdf

stargateuser

« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2022, 10:55:24 AM »

I have a two-way interface and XTB-11R coupler/amplifier/repeater from Jeff Volp. I have de powered the system numerous times to no avail.
I have 2 screen shots showing the binary code and repeating unit addresses.
However I am new on this site and can't figure out how to insert jpg files.

brobin

« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2022, 11:15:51 AM »

I think you need a minimum number of posts to add attachments.  I'm sending you a PM.

Brian H

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 305
« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2022, 06:10:43 AM »

As brobin pointed out.

Until the newbie tag is gone
There are posting restrictions.
More posts should help.

stargateuser

« Reply #5 on: July 04, 2022, 11:03:03 AM »

I keep getting notifications that this site is not safe, the security certificate has expired. True?

I disconnected all other terminals, they are not programmed just switches and had no change to the malfunction.  I then disconnected the Volp 2-way interface and replaced it with a nonamplified 2 way interface.  I thought the signal might be bouncing back and forth between the 2 way and the Volpe bridge/amplifier/repeater. That seems to have worked, at least for the moment. 
I'll give it a day or two and then reconnect the webx if all goes well.

brobin

« Reply #6 on: July 04, 2022, 11:34:38 AM »

The certificate thing is real and will likely be fixed tomorrow.

The ping pong effect is possible if there's another repeater and the settings on your XTB-IIR can be changed to fix that. Instructions are here:  http://jvde.us/xtb/xtb-iir_modeoptions.pdf

Brian H

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 305
« Reply #7 on: July 04, 2022, 06:25:28 PM »

Yes the certificate being expired is correct.
This has happened before and should be fixed when X10 renews it probably tomorrow.

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.